Perrin TMICs - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 10-31-2009, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
No problems with the TMIC it's self. I just should've got a tune after I put it on...lol I popped a solenoid CEL the other night. The tuner said the bigger TMIC was more than likely the problem. Oh well, it gives me a excuse to put injectors and a fuel pump on...along with a new tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-02-2009, 04:34 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Yea, I would imagine it will change things.. LOL

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#33 Old 12-07-2009, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
No, injectors yet. But, Here are a few pics of the 08-10 wrx perrin TMIC installed on a car at my tuner's. I took this pics last monday, when I was there for my retune. (BTW, these are the ones still being produced) This is quite a different set-up the older WRX set-up. The TMIC comes straight of the turbo. No silicon pipe, just a straight up connection.
Attached Images

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#34 Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Such a wierd desing/layout for those cars. And I still cringe everytime I see the plastic manifold .

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#35 Old 12-07-2009, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
They say that the plastic manifold doesn't heat up like aluminum...I dunno.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
#36 Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

LOL, the plastic intake manifold?

Kirt
#37 Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfink View Post
They say that the plastic manifold doesn't heat up like aluminum...I dunno.
You are right, it just melts, lol. Idk, Im no engineer, but it just doesnt even look right.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#38 Old 12-08-2009, 12:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

LOL, i'm sure its no thin piece of plastic. So, no worries on the melting. Its a weight reduction if you think about it. Trying to think positive.

Kirt
#39 Old 12-08-2009, 01:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Smokin'Joe is more helpful than not
Yeah, over all for stock the new '08 + models intercooler is completely fine functionally, but from what I gather; Running over 17 PSI boost will end up cracking the plastic manifold and causing leaks. I haven't been pushing 17-18 PSI for very long and have no leak issues, but the feeling is plastic = weak. Depending on the thickness, temp outside/ engine compartment, and pressure I guess it's possible to use one for quite awhile into the mods, but once the injectors/ fuel pump get upgraded I'd say it's time for the TMIC as well. I just can't seem to make up my mind if I should get the sways and end links first... Holidays don't allow me to save much though, lol.
#40 Old 12-08-2009, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

OBEE_Racing is an unknown
Yes aluminum will conduct heat more, especially because of its density as a metal. Im not that experience in the modifying game, but the plastics engineering field is HUGE! I doubt any car manufactuer would put on a part like the TMIC that its plastic wouldnt endure heat the engine is putting off. HOWEVER, the boost handling making it crack I can find being true. The metal used on the stock intercooler is very then and got bend and dented easly.

The Perrin (or any other aftermarket intercooler) is metal (most likely conducting slightly more heat, but you have to take into perspective that these are created to produce colder, and higher air intake pressures. The interior constuction of these are made to move the air "harder" (my word of choice?) through the intercooler to make it colder.

-Correct me if im wrong, It was just a though =P

I have the Perrin TMIC on my car, its a snug squeeze but I could hear even more from the turbo, I can definitly tell it was an increase in production.

Newtothegame: yes that is an ugly stock TMIC.haha. the plastic manifold makes me feel like my engine bay is like a "walmart" version.lmao!Laugh!

Chris - 2008 WRX sedan w/ vf52 setup now!
#41 Old 12-09-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEE_Racing View Post
Newtothegame: yes that is an ugly stock TMIC.haha. the plastic manifold makes me feel like my engine bay is like a "walmart" version.lmao!Laugh!
I wasnt trying to be mean, just so you know. It just looks so odd, and to know the car is supposed to be performance oriented. I didnt like the new WRX or STI when they came out, at all, but now I think they are just as great as earlier years.

Just wanted to let everyone know I wasnt hating on their car.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#42 Old 12-09-2009, 11:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

OBEE_Racing is an unknown
Its all good. I understand where your coming from, and agree with you. I hated the 08's when they came out, and now I own one and love it! lol.

Chris - 2008 WRX sedan w/ vf52 setup now!