Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   The Hangout (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Perrin TMICs (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/perrin-tmics-27157/)

turmic 09-16-2009 08:19 PM

Perrin TMICs

If everyone didn't know. The Perrin TMICs for 02-07 WRXs/STIs are discontinued. Perrin doesn't have them on their website and JSC Speed doesn't have them either. I had to get mine off Oakos. I got it today and installed it. So far I love it. I'll add pics later. Just letting you guys know. Especially since TurboXSs Tmic doesn't work for STIs and I didn't want to pay for a APS or Spearco TMIC. They want way too much for those.

pzr2874 09-17-2009 05:41 AM

Perrin wanted too much as well. Anymore than 500.00 for a TMIC is crazy IMHO. But glad you like it. Did you see a drop in boost?

man show 09-17-2009 08:52 AM

Wow, I didn't know Perrin was discontinuing their TMICs. There are other factors to consider when shopping for a TMIC besides the price. You should also consider quality, fitment, flow rate, and whether or not it has a cool stencil design painted on it :)

turmic 09-17-2009 07:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Paul, if you're money crunching....then you're in the wrong game. You pay to play. But, good luck on a cheap TMIC. APS and Spearcos will run you high 800s and low grand area. Perrin's was only mid 700s like a TurboXS TMIC. But, a TurboXS won't work on a STI. The pics are kinda crappy, because it was rainy out yesterday and it was getting dark out quick. I'll still have to get a good pic of it installed. But look at how much thicker the perrin is.....crazy

Edit: I forgot to answer this earlier. No, I did not get a boost drop. Its the same boost levels and it actually feels like I have a better throttle responce now.

srninjastar 09-17-2009 08:55 PM

ill be getting this one [url=http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=IC0004-Y-PIPE]cxracing.com: Top Mount Intercooler w/ Y-Pipe Kit for 02-06 WRX STi , Includes Intercooler Piping Hose Clamp[/url]. only problem is it doesnt show the flow rate. but all together with tax and shipping is a bit under 300. which sounds fun to me seeing how im broke city over here.

turmic 09-17-2009 09:13 PM

I don't know....somehow the measurements have to be wrong. How are you going to stuff a TMIC that's 4"s deeper than stock in that amount of space? It'd have to rub the AC lines bad or something. Because the Perrin wasn't easy to stuff in there and its only a half of a inch deeper and it was hitting the AC lines on the way in. Maybe it's just bad pics. Let me know how it works out for you. It's kinda hard to tell if it's bar and plate design or tube and fin...

srninjastar 09-18-2009 01:39 AM

i just sent them an email about fitment and flow rates. if they cant give me an straight answer ill just have to look in to buying another unit

srninjastar 09-18-2009 03:22 PM

sent them a message and this is what they said "Hi,
Compress Air Flow Rate:<600Cubic Feet/Min, Rated up to700 Max HP,

Highlights of this kit:
Bolt on Replacement/ Upgrade of stock Intercooler and Y pipe;
Better Air Flow and Increased Performance;
Fits Stock BOV.

Thanks"

and it is a bar and plate design

booosted09 09-18-2009 03:50 PM

have you read any reviews on that TMIC? Know anyone who has used that particular model?

srninjastar 09-18-2009 06:58 PM

no reviews, but theres a bunch of silvias and other cars using there fmic on youtube. i couldnt find the tmic on there tho.

booosted09 09-18-2009 07:13 PM

i mean its a real good price...Its worth trying it out. I know to you need to save money, so give it a shot.

turmic 09-18-2009 09:36 PM

I mean...as long as it works. I just don't see how your stuffing all 8 inches deep in there....unless the front part hangs over the intake manifold. But, your thickness is too much for it to hang out 4 inches that way. I don't know man....It doesn't look like a bad tmic. It just seems that the measurements are fishy. Give it a try...if it doesn't fit. Ship it back and get a refund.

Edit: I should also state that the 02-07 WRX/STI TMIC....also fits 08-09 STIs. So, happy hunting. Perrin is still making TMICs for the 08-09 WRXs. I didn't want to confuse anyone.

srninjastar 09-18-2009 10:42 PM

yea ima try it out. the pics on there dont look photoshoped or anything so idk why it wouldnt fit. maybe the measurements are a little off. but by looking at the pics and what the rep. said. ill take my chances

pzr2874 09-21-2009 06:13 AM

Oh trust me, I understand about paying to play.... 700 really isn't all that bad considering you will make back 250-300 on the stocker anyways.... Maybe I didn't really do all the research for one considering i'm not really looking for one yet.....

Cheers.

turmic 09-21-2009 05:24 PM

Its cool paul...I don't mean to get snippy. I just want a high quality TMIC at a decent price.

Srninjastar: I think they have the FMIC measurements posted up. They're saying 20" long x 11" deep x by 4.5" thick. Sorry, its 7 inches deep for a stock STI TMIC. Which that TMIC your linking too is 4 inches deeper than a STI TMIC. The Perrin is hard enough to squeeze in there at 7.5 inches. I can't imagine another 4 inches squeezing in there. Like I said...I think it's just the wrong measurements.