Opinions and Advice for upgrading - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 07-21-2009, 09:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
My tuner says the same thing as baller's. 06 is the last best year of the STI. 07 they started to make a mid platform change for 08s. Made the 07 STI tranny slightly longer, started to soften up the suspension, changed to a VF43 for one year....which makes no sense to me. I mean the 43 isn't suppost to have wastegate issues like the 39. But, why change it only for one year to make the VF62 or whatever for the 08 STI. I don't know...it just doesn't make sense to me. That and 07s have the wonky fuel map that the 08 STIs had in their 1st Qtr production. They had a recall for those too, for a map reflash. I have it linked up the 08 section about the recall. But, my tuner says roughly 330-350+ awhp on their mustang dyno is where you have to start worrying about blowing a piston or ring land. I've heard this from other people as well. But, he suggest just putting CP pistons and strengthened rods in the STI block and says your fine to do what you want with it then. It'd be reliable for whatever you want to throw at it. Just my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 07-23-2009, 12:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Update: I called on the white STi above, he said the lowest he'd go is 17k, which I think is great. The title scares me though. He said it had a light hit on the driver front, requiring a new hood, a fender, headlight, and messed up the acc. belt. I'm paranoid about the fact that the damage went into the engine bay, but it looks really good from above. What do you guys think? (Btw I love the lights and grille, despite the prior criticism )

Also an 08 STi with a clean title and 11k mile's for 22k got listed at like 4 this afternoon, and 5 hours later it was sold of course. I had high hopes for that one Now I'm sad

He also replaced the driver airbag, anyone know how much those are to get tested to see if they are functional?

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#18 Old 07-23-2009, 12:18 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Did you ask about the title, or did the guy mention the title? If the title is still clear and he has proof of the repair, test drive it and go from there.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#19 Old 07-23-2009, 12:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
The title is mentioned in the link:2006 Subaru WRX STi
Fortunately after this disaster of a car I bought I think I could spot any problems in a WRX miles away, but I'm scared of getting another lemon. I want to be careful, but of course I'd still like to find a good deal. I just need to weed through the good deals from the guys selling their crap cheap because they don't want any questions.

-Brandon
#20 Old 07-23-2009, 12:33 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Oh, my bad I missed that the first time I read it. From what I understand (just from reading, no experience personally) a reconstructed title or anything along those means can be hard to deal with and hard to get rid of sometimes. I really think its a great car minus that fact. Maybe talk to the local DMV and get the info from the direct source about that also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#21 Old 07-23-2009, 08:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Yea that car looks like a damn good deal but I would see if we will let you test drive it and let you take it to a local shop to get an inspection done on it and check for frame damage and to test everything out for you. Might be worth it considering the deal you're getting on it.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#22 Old 07-23-2009, 10:08 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
how can he ask 17k for a car with a reconstructed title? Totally absurd.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#23 Old 07-23-2009, 01:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Watch out for those titles. It will cost you in the end. If you took that car to carmax it is probably worth 10k b/c of the title.

I know someone with a Merc. S500 that was in a big crash (title still good), and the value was 17k after the crash. He had paid nearly 80k before the crash.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#24 Old 07-23-2009, 03:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
how can he ask 17k for a car with a reconstructed title? Totally absurd.
...probably because there's at least one person out there who's dumb enough to pay that price for it and he's not concerned about making an honest buck. It makes me sad.

John
07 WRX
#25 Old 07-23-2009, 06:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

That's how this area is. Portland/Vancouver is full of Russians. (no racism implied) They make a hobby and a small side business out of buying cars at the auctions and selling them after they trade favors to friends in the auto business or doing it themselves. There may not a be a market for higher end reconstructed titled cars where you guys are, but it's no big deal around here, and they're not hard to get rid of. Literally every young Russian guy in the area is driving a new Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Acura, or EVO's and STi's and 90% have dirty titles. They've actually done this to their downfall, bidding the prices to high up on each other. Now it's so expensive to buy a wrecked car at the auctions around here that there's little to no profit margin. It would literally cost me more to go to an auction and buy that car wrecked plus parts than it would to just buy it.

A car is a car, if it got fixed properly (and he did have a shop do it btw) and it passes my mechanic's standards, then why not? I just went and saw a year older STi on a lot in Portland with the same mileage and no warranty for $25k. I have no problem with the title and getting rid of it, it's whether the integrity of the frame and the passengers safety has been compromised, which is why I intend to have it looked over well.

Private party KBB has it at 21k for fair condition, probably around 18 to 19 for poor, which encompasses a bad title.

-Brandon
#26 Old 08-08-2009, 03:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

I called on this.Subaru WRX/STI Silver/Blue Factory Replaced Engine/Transmission It was owned by a kid who blew both engine and transmission under warranty so got them both replaced, 2k on each. I'd be concerned that they probably threw in a 2007+ engine, hence it would have the bad pistons. The dealership doesn't know. Also how did the kid break in the new engine? This might be a moot point though since unless I buy from the original owner I won't know how any STi was broken in. Tell me what you think.

I'm also not crazy about silver, but the price is great.

-Brandon
#27 Old 08-08-2009, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
I called on this.Subaru WRX/STI Silver/Blue Factory Replaced Engine/Transmission It was owned by a kid who blew both engine and transmission under warranty so got them both replaced, 2k on each. I'd be concerned that they probably threw in a 2007+ engine, hence it would have the bad pistons. The dealership doesn't know. Also how did the kid break in the new engine? This might be a moot point though since unless I buy from the original owner I won't know how any STi was broken in. Tell me what you think.

I'm also not crazy about silver, but the price is great.
Looks good to me. That is a good price too.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#28 Old 08-08-2009, 04:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Right, but 110k now, what will be the resale on that in a few years... plus like I said, did they throw in a 2007 engine? Probably.

-Brandon
#29 Old 08-08-2009, 08:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Right, but 110k now, what will be the resale on that in a few years... plus like I said, did they throw in a 2007 engine? Probably.
Are you planning to sell it again in a few years? The shortblock doesn't worry me that much.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#30 Old 08-08-2009, 08:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Most likely. My wife and I are planning on leaving the country in a few years. I guess I'd have enough of it paid down by then though. I'll just go look at it and see what I think. If they have receipts and a warranty on the parts and work I'd be fine with it. And the 07+ block would worry you if you'd already gone through one

-Brandon