Opinions and Advice for upgrading - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 07-18-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Opinions and Advice for upgrading

It's time for my WRX to go, I'll give more details when I get rid of it. So, I need to make a more informed decision in replacing it. It will be one of the following: 04-07 STi, 08 WRX, 02-03 WRX

I don't want to get the STi and have a piston go on it, I'm buying a new platform to wipe the slate clean. I want something unmolested and I don't want to have to worry about an engine rebuild again, so an STi worries me, since I've experienced an EJ257 blowing a piston already. But the transmission... yada yada, awesome.

How are the 08s? Problems? Is the block strong? Is the tranny strong? I like the 35 hp bump, (they jumped to 265 in 08 or 09, right?) regardless of what I get, it'll get a 16 or 18g eventually. But I need something that will last. The thing that sucks is I'm now so used a lot of power, I don't want to get a "new" 08 or 02 and not like it because it won't put me back in my seat as hard.

I wouldn't mind getting another bugeye. The advantage obviously is that it's cheap, and any problems with the weak tranny caould be fixed with the money I saved. But I really don't ever want to own another heavily modded daily driver, So I don't want to HAVE to put in a 6 speed or dogbox.

Sorry for the beat to death "What should I get?" discussion, but I need Suby enthusiast's input, my wife's opinion end's at "I hate wagons"

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-18-2009, 02:19 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
08 has the EJ255 with TD04 sized turbo. It makes similar numbers to the 06 and 07. Power jump was in 09.

Engine rebuilds are actually cheaper than transmission rebuilds. STi ftw.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 31 Old 07-18-2009, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
STi gets my vote especially if you don't want to mod it a lot. TBE and a tune and you are set.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #4 of 31 Old 07-19-2009, 03:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
you could A: get an 02-03, use the money you get from selling your current bugeye and pimp it out. B: get an 04-07 sti and do a stage 2 tune and not have to worry about tranny problems. or C: get an 09 wrx save money up and do a stage 2 tune on it. the stock VF50-something puts a pretty decent amount of power compared to that of the td04...from what i read.
post #5 of 31 Old 07-19-2009, 05:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Wait, why get rid of it in the first place? I'd buy brand new if it were me. Clean plate so you know nothing has been messed with!

But if I didn't care about the car being modded or didn't care about mileage, I would get the 05 STi. Best year IMO. =)
post #6 of 31 Old 07-19-2009, 08:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
Just bought a 09 WRX... lots of power and torque...good platform is you dont want to mess with a bunch of things..
post #7 of 31 Old 07-19-2009, 11:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I think the whole piston blowing on a STI is over rated. ::knocks on wood:: But, I think it's more common to 07s with the trash map that runs lean on 2 cylinders that has produced the most blown pistons. I dunno...the jury is still out on the 08-09s. I've heard that the major problem from my tuner is that they didn't quite get the oil return right in the new engines. He's seen 3 blown engines lately do to oil flow. Spun bearings or blown piston rings being the end result. But, if you do blow an engine. You won't be doing a Hybrid this time around. Just drop CP pistons, strengthen rods, and APR heads on the rebuild. Which my tuner says will make the STI longblock handle a lot of HP after being built. Idk, I just couldn't deal with worrying about my tranny. Which is why I stepped up. That and I could afford it. Good luck in whatever you do Chase. I know that you'll make an educated decision.
post #8 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
I think the whole piston blowing on a STI is over rated. ::knocks on wood::
You obviously haven't blown one yet But this did help, I think I'd rather risk the piston than almost certainly throw another tranny (I've gone through one of each) Mosc is right, an engine build is cheaper. I think I'm sold on an STi. There's a beautiful 05 on a lot in Oregon right now, it's blue though. I'm trying to hold out for a white one. I'm trying to stay away from this one because of the title, but thinking about seeing if it doesn't sell and low balling them.
2006 Subaru WRX STi
Not usually a fan of black scoops alone, but I like this one.

So, how are the tranny's and blocks on the 09 WRX? Is the jury still out until we get more feedback?

-Brandon

Last edited by Chase; 07-20-2009 at 09:26 PM.
post #9 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
oooooo i like that. looks clean. not really dign the blacked out head lights but whatevs. its still a sexual white sti none the less
post #10 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Get rid of the gold rims and get the grille back to stock color and its a clean looking car I think. Good luck with everything Chase.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #11 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 10:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
My tuner said that in 07 is when subaru started using a different metal on the pistons in order to cut costs. Not to mention the crappy maps since then. '06 was the last best year of the STi.

It may sound a little bias because I drive an 06 but I was in the same situation less than 2 years ago. I did a sickening amount of research on which year model to go with.

Just my 2 pennies. I would also by an 04 or an 05 sti before i bought an 07 or higher.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #12 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

So all 06's are safe then? Or did some of those pistons go into production in the 06? This is the kind of info I was looking for, thank you.

-Brandon
post #13 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
So all 06's are safe then?
I dont know about all that. I do know I trust them better and the maps were better/safer as well. As far as I know the 07s is when they started with those different pistons.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #14 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 10:54 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The 07 STI or WRX for that matter is easily fixed with a stage one tune/EM, as far as the piston goes they failed becuase of the fuel mapping as far as I have read. I have even seen where Subaru had a recall to take them back and the would flash a different map on it to solve the fuel "problem".

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #15 of 31 Old 07-21-2009, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

But buying used I'm still getting a car that had a crappy map ran for tens of thousands of miles... I think I'll try for a 04 05. Thank you

-Brandon