The only cure for STi envy... say hello - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-23-2009, 06:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
The only cure for STi envy... say hello

I thought I loved my WRX. It turns out I didn't. I couldn't handle all the constant problems of a heavily modified second hand daily driver. Everything was done so half hearted on that car, I could fill a page with the crap that broke or annoyed me. It had to go.

I checked into Legacy GT's and almost bought one, but several of my friends helped me dodge that bullet. They are quick everyone says, well I want fast, not quick.

I got it earlier this week, a 2004 STi with 42,500 miles for $16,500, with a clean title. A great buy if you ask me. I've been looking nation wide for 2 months, and in this area for 4 months. This is by far the best deal I've found. I wanted white because blue is so common, but I love the color, my wife says it's me.

It came with an ebay catback, SPT short ram, and downpipe. I swore not to buy modded again, but it was light. My tuner inspected it and said it looked great, the intake is so close to stock it doesn't matter, and the fuel trims were great. I'm amazed at what a difference there is from the WRX. It doesn't have the same top end, but the handling is incredible, the transmission is so smooth and it has so many awesome things the WRX didn't. DCCD, not sure what it is yet totally. Little RPM knob by the odometer... who knows? I'm excited to read up and find out though.

Thanks for all the help deciding from you guys too!
Attached Images

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2009, 06:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
congrats on your STI purchase....love the classic blue and gold combo...

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#3 Old 10-23-2009, 07:12 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Nice looking car man. Congrats on it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 10-23-2009, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Eh...it should be as fast as the wrx. Just a cleaner and wider useage of power. Which probably makes it feel slower. Can't hate on the WRB a.k.a. Blue Mica. Its the rally colors. Nice pick up and the DCCD is a nice feature. But, don't mess around with it too much. Pretty much leave it in auto or lock if it's crap out. Thats some low miles. Enjoy the new ride. STI envy will always get you if you can afford it.
#5 Old 10-23-2009, 09:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
Nice car!! and congrats!! Oh Yeah... And nice color!!
#6 Old 10-23-2009, 10:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Thanks all! I love it, way more than I thought I would. It's geared so low though, It sits at 3k in sixth doing 65. My wife's vette sits at 1200 doing 65. Oh well

-Brandon
#7 Old 10-24-2009, 04:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
wow that does suck...i didnt like that my wrx sits at 3k doing 80 in 5th....now i dont feel so bad. I didnt think they were geared like that.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#8 Old 10-24-2009, 02:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
niiiiiiccceee! well since the sti is only lightly modded you can start modding it the way you want instead of constantly fixing it, such as getting taller gears and doing all the things u wanted that u couldnt with the wrx

THAT SCOOP IS SOOOO HUGE!!

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
#9 Old 10-24-2009, 09:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The 04-06s are geared that way for quick acceleration. I know what your talking about. Vettes have a freaking tall ass 6th. You can't compare their 6th to that many vehicles because it's so tall. Thats why my friend's old C6 Z51 would get great highway miles.
#10 Old 10-25-2009, 12:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

09azwrx is an unknown
Awesome car !
#11 Old 10-25-2009, 01:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

midniteblack is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to midniteblack
Nice move man! The DCCD is usually best set in auto. And that little knob by your rpm's is for your shift warning light/beep. Yes, our gears are super short.
#12 Old 10-25-2009, 10:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Congratulations on the good deal. Any plans for future mods yet?

John
07 WRX
#13 Old 10-25-2009, 11:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

This one's going to stay fairly stock. I've got some cool plans to dress up the engine bay, Of course I'll do some EM, stage 2 will be it for now. I don't know if I'll go opensource or AP yet, opensource intimidates me . I love the suspension as it is, and as for the body, I think I'll be going wingless or with a WRX trunk.

Maybe in a few years I'll go with a big 16g, but you guys really don't know the kind of horrible and frequent problems I had with my old WRX, it really was a terror. I don't want another heavily modded DD.

-Brandon
#14 Old 10-25-2009, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXParamedic is an unknown
I went with OS tuning cause I'm a broke ass. The tactrix cable set me back only $130 and a XPT stage 2 map was $55. HUGE power increase. The only bad thing was that I'm not that computer savvy and could not find a detailed write up on using it. I found some good write ups but I couldn't of done it without my brothers help cause he's an IT guy. In hindsight I'm glad to go OS cause total cost in going stage 2 with Tactrix cable, Flowmaster muffler, K&N palel, ebay DP and gutting the up set me back $450 whereas Cobb wants $1875 for the whole package. Just my $.02
#15 Old 10-25-2009, 11:38 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Another convert!

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD