Offical workout/fitness thread.. - Subaru WRX Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 100 Old 08-07-2011, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Offical workout/fitness thread..

Why not...
So what do you guys do to stay in shape besides type on the darn computer...
I am a personal trainer, compete in highland games(kind of like strongman) as well as all around physical challenge kind of guy. My workouts typically consist of picking up heavy objects and throwing them or carrying them, running and basic body weight workouts. I do use weights, but now as much as I use to.
Here is a typical workout if I am not training for the games:

Sun:
4 mile run: 36mins.<--yes it's slow, but I weight 200lbs@10%BF so suck it

Mon:
100 Pull-ups vary hand position
200 Push-ups vary hand position
300 Ab exercises consisting of various different ones.
200 Free Squats
400 Calf Raises

Tues:
Swim 500m run 3 miles

Wed:
5x5 Clean and Press 135lbs.
5x5 Weighted Pull-ups 30lbs.
5x5 Front Squats 135lbs.
5x5 Snatch 135lbs.
5x5 Weighted Leg Raises. 20lbs.

Thur:
Rest

Fri:
Same as Monday

Sat:
Run 3 miles

That's about it. Now if I am training for the games I typically do very heavy lifting and practice my events. Here is picture of me at the Dublin Irish Festival 2 years ago at the weight for height event. Yes I was wearing a Kilt and no you can not make fun of me for it.

Yeah it's a bit fuzzy, but my wife was using her phone and the weather was horrid.
So let's hear what you guys/gals do...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...

Last edited by psinuse; 08-07-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 08-07-2011, 10:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1456 is more helpful than not
Garage
geez, Im tired just reading that. If it weren't for people running from me when I pull them over, I wouldn't get any exercise.

06 STI
http://www.armslist.com/?utm_source=c000017&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p017903
post #3 of 100 Old 08-07-2011, 10:33 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I just do what the Army tells me to do lol. They do alot of running, much of which I cant participate in due to my knee(s) being jacked up. I havent seen the inside of a gym either since I started my new position at work, just dont have the time for anything anymore. But Keith you running 4 miles at a 36 minute pace is exactly what the Army standard is, so thats pretty damn good.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #4 of 100 Old 08-07-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
I just do what the Army tells me to do lol. They do alot of running, much of which I cant participate in due to my knee(s) being jacked up. I havent seen the inside of a gym either since I started my new position at work, just dont have the time for anything anymore. But Keith you running 4 miles at a 36 minute pace is exactly what the Army standard is, so thats pretty damn good.
I'm 40 and had knee surgery back in my 20's so I know your pain. I'm not much of a runner either. I train mostly to pick up heavy objects and carry or throw them...so running is not my strongest point.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #5 of 100 Old 08-07-2011, 03:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
P90X!!! Well, when I can...That junk kills me. And I play and coach soccer, so my workouts consist of a lot of running. And when I do just go run, I run up and down sandy grove roads 3miles in 30 mins or so.

-Derek
post #6 of 100 Old 08-07-2011, 05:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
I just got my personal trainer certification. Most of my workouts are body weight exercises mixed with cardio.

Mike
post #7 of 100 Old 08-07-2011, 09:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
I haven't worked out for about 3 years now, pretty much since I got married. Guess the wife takes to much out of me. Need to get back into a routine, sence I've quit working out my weight has went from a solid 170 to 225 of pure fattness. Just don't have the time any more.
post #8 of 100 Old 08-07-2011, 10:43 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge10 View Post
P90X!!! Well, when I can...That junk kills me. And I play and coach soccer, so my workouts consist of a lot of running. And when I do just go run, I run up and down sandy grove roads 3miles in 30 mins or so.
Nice. I remember my soccer days. I miss it ALOT. I was a goalie for 14yrs almost. But was also one of the fastest players on the team. When I played for school we would do 2 a days for 2 weeks, 3 hours each day and not even touch the ball then. Was nothing but running/conditioning.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #9 of 100 Old 08-07-2011, 11:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Scotty_WRX is an unknown
i've done p90x in the past and really liked it but back when i was training for combat control, i was doing Fatal Fitness routines. If you haven't heard of it it's kinda like crossfit but kicked up a notch. that seemed to be a pretty decent routine.
post #10 of 100 Old 08-08-2011, 09:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I just do high intensity training... Generally start with a mile warm up and then just go nuts on some free weights. Monday is usually chest and arms... Wednesday is generally more medicine ball stuff working with abs and upper leg, then friday is just whatever I feel like. I guess it's more of a cardio/weight workout than anything.

Generally at least 3 sets of 12 reps of everything. I'm not looking to gain mass, just keep it lookin purdy for the wife. Plus just going to the gym is better than nothing.

-Chris
post #11 of 100 Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Nice. I remember my soccer days. I miss it ALOT. I was a goalie for 14yrs almost. But was also one of the fastest players on the team. When I played for school we would do 2 a days for 2 weeks, 3 hours each day and not even touch the ball then. Was nothing but running/conditioning.
Yeah, I just graduated and I couldnt do with out it so I started getting back into it after about 5 months off. I blew out my knee 3 games until the district tourny in my senior year and Im just now being able to play games again.

And I played striker and midfield, I was the second fastest on the team, behind the goalie lol.

Those first couple of weeks during the season where the worst. Just running and cones. Ughh lol I do not miss those though.

-Derek
post #12 of 100 Old 08-08-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hey newtothegame I thought you were only required to run 2 miles in the ARMY PFT? I know the Marines is 3 miles...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #13 of 100 Old 08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
Whatever is in season.
Very avid downhill mountain biker, moto-X, 14er's
Winter Ski/snowboard. I do workout "insanity" in the winter occasionally. I tend to prefer more natural workouts and get much more excitement out of the adrenaline that goes along with them.

Last edited by cwinterbower; 08-08-2011 at 07:32 PM.
post #14 of 100 Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I snowboard in the winter months, if I have time. I always make time for the gym though especially since I don't have to pay month dues and I work there as a personal trainer.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #15 of 100 Old 08-08-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Hey newtothegame I thought you were only required to run 2 miles in the ARMY PFT? I know the Marines is 3 miles...
Keith you are correct that the APFT is only two miles for the running, its 2 and half miles for walkers (like me). But there is Corps standards that are supposed to meet so often a year, one being a 4 mile run in 36 minutes, another is a 12 mile ruck march in 4 hours.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement