Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   The Hangout (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Offical workout/fitness thread.. (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/offical-workout-fitness-thread-31154/)

psinuse 08-07-2011 07:26 AM

Offical workout/fitness thread..

Why not...
So what do you guys do to stay in shape besides type on the darn computer...
I am a personal trainer, compete in highland games(kind of like strongman) as well as all around physical challenge kind of guy. My workouts typically consist of picking up heavy objects and throwing them or carrying them, running and basic body weight workouts. I do use weights, but now as much as I use to.
Here is a typical workout if I am not training for the games:

Sun:
4 mile run: 36mins.<--yes it's slow, but I weight 200lbs@10%BF so suck it

Mon:
100 Pull-ups vary hand position
200 Push-ups vary hand position
300 Ab exercises consisting of various different ones.
200 Free Squats
400 Calf Raises

Tues:
Swim 500m run 3 miles

Wed:
5x5 Clean and Press 135lbs.
5x5 Weighted Pull-ups 30lbs.
5x5 Front Squats 135lbs.
5x5 Snatch 135lbs.
5x5 Weighted Leg Raises. 20lbs.

Thur:
Rest:D

Fri:
Same as Monday

Sat:
Run 3 miles

That's about it. Now if I am training for the games I typically do very heavy lifting and practice my events. Here is picture of me at the Dublin Irish Festival 2 years ago at the weight for height event. Yes I was wearing a Kilt and no you can not make fun of me for it.
[IMG]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/ghostwrx/highlandgames-1.jpg?t=1312716201[/IMG]
Yeah it's a bit fuzzy, but my wife was using her phone and the weather was horrid.
So let's hear what you guys/gals do...

wrx1456 08-07-2011 10:11 AM

geez, Im tired just reading that. If it weren't for people running from me when I pull them over, I wouldn't get any exercise.

newtothegame 08-07-2011 10:33 AM

I just do what the Army tells me to do lol. They do alot of running, much of which I cant participate in due to my knee(s) being jacked up. I havent seen the inside of a gym either since I started my new position at work, just dont have the time for anything anymore. But Keith you running 4 miles at a 36 minute pace is exactly what the Army standard is, so thats pretty damn good.

psinuse 08-07-2011 10:51 AM

[quote=newtothegame;265694]I just do what the Army tells me to do lol. They do alot of running, much of which I cant participate in due to my knee(s) being jacked up. I havent seen the inside of a gym either since I started my new position at work, just dont have the time for anything anymore. But Keith you running 4 miles at a 36 minute pace is exactly what the Army standard is, so thats pretty damn good.[/quote]

I'm 40 and had knee surgery back in my 20's so I know your pain. I'm not much of a runner either. I train mostly to pick up heavy objects and carry or throw them...so running is not my strongest point.

Ridge10 08-07-2011 03:05 PM

P90X!!! Well, when I can...That junk kills me. And I play and coach soccer, so my workouts consist of a lot of running. And when I do just go run, I run up and down sandy grove roads 3miles in 30 mins or so.

mfarnham 08-07-2011 05:37 PM

I just got my personal trainer certification. Most of my workouts are body weight exercises mixed with cardio.

black beast2 08-07-2011 09:40 PM

I haven't worked out for about 3 years now, pretty much since I got married. Guess the wife takes to much out of me. Need to get back into a routine, sence I've quit working out my weight has went from a solid 170 to 225 of pure fattness. Just don't have the time any more.

newtothegame 08-07-2011 10:43 PM

[quote=Ridge10;265708]P90X!!! Well, when I can...That junk kills me. And I play and coach soccer, so my workouts consist of a lot of running. And when I do just go run, I run up and down sandy grove roads 3miles in 30 mins or so.[/quote]

Nice. I remember my soccer days. I miss it ALOT. I was a goalie for 14yrs almost. But was also one of the fastest players on the team. When I played for school we would do 2 a days for 2 weeks, 3 hours each day and not even touch the ball then. Was nothing but running/conditioning.

Scotty_WRX 08-07-2011 11:53 PM

i've done p90x in the past and really liked it but back when i was training for combat control, i was doing Fatal Fitness routines. If you haven't heard of it it's kinda like crossfit but kicked up a notch. that seemed to be a pretty decent routine.

RcrsWetDream 08-08-2011 09:05 AM

I just do high intensity training... Generally start with a mile warm up and then just go nuts on some free weights. Monday is usually chest and arms... Wednesday is generally more medicine ball stuff working with abs and upper leg, then friday is just whatever I feel like. I guess it's more of a cardio/weight workout than anything.

Generally at least 3 sets of 12 reps of everything. I'm not looking to gain mass, just keep it lookin purdy for the wife. Plus just going to the gym is better than nothing.

Ridge10 08-08-2011 11:28 AM

[quote=newtothegame;265731]Nice. I remember my soccer days. I miss it ALOT. I was a goalie for 14yrs almost. But was also one of the fastest players on the team. When I played for school we would do 2 a days for 2 weeks, 3 hours each day and not even touch the ball then. Was nothing but running/conditioning.[/quote]

Yeah, I just graduated and I couldnt do with out it so I started getting back into it after about 5 months off. I blew out my knee 3 games until the district tourny in my senior year and Im just now being able to play games again.

And I played striker and midfield, I was the second fastest on the team, behind the goalie lol.

Those first couple of weeks during the season where the worst. Just running and cones. Ughh lol I do not miss those though.

psinuse 08-08-2011 04:34 PM

Hey newtothegame I thought you were only required to run 2 miles in the ARMY PFT? I know the Marines is 3 miles...

cwinterbower 08-08-2011 04:40 PM

Whatever is in season.
Very avid downhill mountain biker, moto-X, 14er's
Winter Ski/snowboard. I do workout "insanity" in the winter occasionally. I tend to prefer more natural workouts and get much more excitement out of the adrenaline that goes along with them. :)

psinuse 08-08-2011 04:55 PM

I snowboard in the winter months, if I have time. I always make time for the gym though especially since I don't have to pay month dues and I work there as a personal trainer.

newtothegame 08-08-2011 10:29 PM

[quote=psinuse;265759]Hey newtothegame I thought you were only required to run 2 miles in the ARMY PFT? I know the Marines is 3 miles...[/quote]

Keith you are correct that the APFT is only two miles for the running, its 2 and half miles for walkers (like me). But there is Corps standards that are supposed to meet so often a year, one being a 4 mile run in 36 minutes, another is a 12 mile ruck march in 4 hours.