The numbers... - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 03-26-2010, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Ok. So, the numbers game spurs me to bring back a dead thread of mine. I got my build planned out with my tuner and I put a down payment on the parts tuesday the 23rd. Here's the crazy ass plan.

Raw1 Performance T Series Shortblock
Master Gasket Set
APR Headstuds
2.5 Dominator Polka Pickle XTR (2.5XTR) Turbo
850 DW Injectors
Perrin Turbo Inlet
Exedy Stage 1 HD Clutch
Remachine/Resurface of my flywheel.

Plus labor from my tuner (About 20 hours of labor) on swapping the short block and all the other stuff. Equals a damn expensive build. . Just waiting on my tuner to get the block from Ron and then I can schedule a date. My tuner is quite busy anyways right now. So, I'm hopeing for a mid April date. Can't wait and I think this will pretty much be the end of my big money modifications. Maybe a few tweaks later to power and some suspension bits.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 03-26-2010, 10:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
No headwork? Sounds like somebody is going balls to the wall now. I can't wait to build my engine down the line, I just want to do it on my own with a new STi shortblock and build from there. That way I can build the engine out of the car over time and then just drop it in. Plus building engines is fun, as long as you can get the cylinders matched to the pistons real nice at a machine shop, everything else is cake.

Can't wait to see what you can do with it!

-Chris
#48 Old 03-26-2010, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ron said mild cams and single springs would open it a little on the top end. But, I'm spending enough at this point. I'm doing a block, clutch, turbo, injectors, and a inlet all on this build. LOL. It should get me what I'm looking for.

Kirt
#49 Old 03-26-2010, 11:42 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Love that turbo, can't wait to see the numbers.

Did your motor go?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#50 Old 03-29-2010, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Love that turbo, can't wait to see the numbers.

Did your motor go?
No, but my pistons will fail if I don't upgrade at least that much. LOL. Idk, i wanted to fully build the bottom end and know it's a lot stronger because of it. The break-in is going to kill me. 500-1000 miles of not really having fun with it, then a re-tune. I'm getting the intial tune for cheaper than normal price, loyality discount that I get, and the retune is free. So, yay!

Kirt
#51 Old 03-29-2010, 11:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
why dont you do the work yourself bro, use the block you have and just put better pistons in there like CP or something? You will save so much more money man!!!!

2003 WRX Hybrid build,

Brian
#52 Old 03-30-2010, 12:13 AM

Garage
What, you got like an engine hoist and a full set of metric tools laying around? I sure don't. Don't have the patience for engine work either.

#53 Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
I'm sure you could borrow a cherry picker from someone, any it doesn't take many tools to take the engine apart or to build one, you could buy a craftsman tool set and a cherry picker and still save a butt load of money by just building the block you already have!!!

2003 WRX Hybrid build,

Brian
#54 Old 03-30-2010, 09:22 AM

Garage
I wish Brian was my next door neighbor...

Last edited by mosc; 03-30-2010 at 11:37 AM.
#55 Old 03-30-2010, 09:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
I'm sure you could borrow a cherry picker from someone, any it doesn't take many tools to take the engine apart or to build one, you could buy a craftsman tool set and a cherry picker and still save a butt load of money by just building the block you already have!!!
That's my plan, already have the craftsman tool set too... I figure come time to build my engine, I'll use a new STi shortblock since my short will probably have a lot of miles on it. Either way I figure to take upwards of 6 months to build an engine after work and on the weekends after stripping the new shortblock. This, of course, is after the car is no longer a dd and downtime isn't a problem.

-Chris
#56 Old 03-30-2010, 10:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Because I trust Ron a lot more than I trust myself. The T series block is the stage 3 or track package short block. Its a lot more than something I'd trust myself to do. Since Ron's website isn't letting my click on the package. I'll take this info from: Import Image Racing: P&L RAW Performance Track Series Short Block Stage 3

RAW Performance Track Series EJ25 (STI) short block is the top of the line non-sleeved short block utilizing the best parts available to ensure reliable high-horsepower performance. The Track Series begins its life as a brand new factory Subaru EJ257 bare case and is honed to fit the new custom RAW performance CP forged pistons with moly coated piston skirts. The rotating assembly consists of a new forged EJ257 crankshaft that is extensively modified for better oiling and custom RAW Performance pauter forged connecting rods fitted with Clevite high performance rod bearings. It is fully balanced and polished to 10,000 RPMs to within .25 grams.

Features:
•2.5 Liter STI Semi-Closed Deck Case
•Modified Forged EJ257 Crankshaft
•High Performance Main & Rod Bearings
•Pauter 4340 Chrome-Moly Forged Rods
•CP Forged Pistons with Moly Coated Skirts
•High Performance Piston Rings
•Fully Balanced and Blueprinted
•8500 RPM Rev Limit Recommended

The bearings are Cosworth Spec 0 bearings that get machined to fit the crank. I can't do all of this machine work and feel comfortable that its done right. Its overkill, I know. But, Its what I want. A fully built bottom end motor. Even though just forged piston would get me by.

Kirt
#57 Old 03-31-2010, 09:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

That's the stuff I couldn't do, the machining. I would have to take a block to get the cylinders to match the pistons nicely and the bearings to fit perfect. Other than that it's stuff I know I can do.

Either way doesn't the block come built? Just put the heads on it and you're done?

-Chris
#58 Old 03-31-2010, 09:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Which block? Mine? It'll come build from Ron and yeah...you could just put the heads back on it. Then put it back in after you pull the old block. But, that's not all I'm doing obviously. So, I'll let them have fun with it. While I work and make money.

Kirt
#59 Old 03-31-2010, 11:31 PM
#60 Old 04-01-2010, 01:24 AM

Garage
^ win