The numbers... - Page 10 - Subaru WRX Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#136 Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
With stock springs the most cam you can really do is the Kelford 264's up to 272s some people say the stock springs may be enough but from my experience they are far too soft and a few cars I've tuned were experiencing a good deal of valve float above 6000 RPM, and our cars run shimless buckets
Ding ding.

Your main reason to upgrade is valve float at higher rpm's. Once you upgrade the springs though, I would recommend doing the valves to be safe, and when you do the valves get new guides and seals as well. Pretty much all or nothing.

Oh and if you decide to do it yourself:

Amazon.com: Lisle 36200 Valve Keeper Remover and Installer: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 36200 Valve Keeper Remover and Installer: Automotive

I got my wife's dad to buy me one!Laugh!

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#137 Old 04-19-2011, 08:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
you don't really need to ever do valves in these cars unless your going larger, I've seen OE valves rev to 9000RPM no issues, the springs are the limiting factors in these heads

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#138 Old 04-19-2011, 11:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I've heard of a few cases where guys dropped valves/snapped the heads off with stiffer springs.

They're cheap enough in the grand scheme of things that I'm just going to do them. Stainless intake, inconel exhaust supertech's in STD size.

-Chris
#139 Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
yeah I did +1mm valves only because I had the heads off the car at the time

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#140 Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Good info guys thanks.

Matt: Do you still want to do the GT5 race?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#141 Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ok, time to dust off this thread and bring it back to life.

356/368. The spool is slower because its a bigger turbo for one. But, Chad (my tuner) said he couldn't run any ignition advance on the low end because the TMIC isn't cooling the charge enough. So, its pretty much time for a FMIC and the top end gets a weird dip in it because I need the MAP sensor upgrade/still needing the FMIC here as well. But, this turbo pulls like a train at redline. Chad thinks with a FMIC/new intake (the CAI has to go bye bye) and the upgraded MAP sensor. That this car can easily get into the 400 whp range on pump and could even be as high as the 420ish range. He said that he'll raise the redline to 7700 rpms also once I come back after new years to get the new stuff installed.

All I can say is I do notice the slight loss of spool and tq. But, holy crap this car just feels like it gets up on the balls of its feet and then just pulls hard to redline. Its a different feeling of not having it drop off like normal. I hope to get some of the spool and tq back once the new tune is done. TMIC limited easily after a couple pulls...

Kirt
#142 Old 12-15-2011, 12:07 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Horsepower is a disease, isn't it? This thread just makes me laugh at all the folks talking about a FMIC for a TD04 for so many years. LOL! 350whp on a mustang dyno on a top mount...

I think I would have probably enjoyed your old setup more. Spool drives me bonkers. That said, I can totally understand wanting more. Especially if your going to 7700RPM...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#143 Old 12-15-2011, 07:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

My old set up hit like a mule on the low end. But, if the FMIC and map sensor takes this car to 400+ on pump without going rotated. Then I'm happy. Yes...hp and modding is a addiction.

Mosc: I think the 1.5 XT-R or 2.5 XT-R would be a perfect turbo for you. Spools quick as all get out and still gets good hp and tq.

Kirt
#144 Old 12-16-2011, 05:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Nice #'s, at least your TMIC can be sold quickly.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#145 Old 12-16-2011, 05:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Its hard to find a Perrin TMIC for my layout. So, I'm sure someone will buy it up quick.

Kirt
#146 Old 09-26-2013, 09:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bumping this for Tyler's enjoyment...

Kirt
#147 Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Haha thanks kirt

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#148 Old 09-26-2013, 11:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

You can laugh at my newbness and addiction to modifying. FOL

Kirt
#149 Old 09-27-2013, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
You can laugh at my newbness and addiction to modifying. FOL
We all had to start somewhere....well except me I was born this awesome...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#150 Old 09-27-2013, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
We all had to start somewhere....well except me I was born this awesome...
However long ago THAT was....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3