The Non-Technical Random "Ask a Question" Thread - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The Non-Technical Random "Ask a Question" Thread

Ask any question that's been plaguing your mind.

I.E

Where do babies come from?

or

Why is the sky blue?

Ok, maybe not that generic of a question but you get the point.

Car questions are NOT allowed!

My first question is my wife and I are doing Alaska this summer... We have a few friends that want to go, but by way of a cruise.... I feel like a cruise is a waste of my time in Alaska and would rather just go there and figure it out and make my own tour of the state vs just doing the things we can do at our stops.

It's also worth mentioning my only real goal in life is to climb Denali, so I'm definitely more of an adventurer than a tourist.

The question is though, is a cruise remotely worth it, or should I just tell my friends my way or the highway? I'm always the trip planner and I've never let them down, so I know they'll go along with it.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 11:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
No idea of Alaska, although a friend of mine years ago RV'd up there from here for ~2 weeks... but nothing to do with cars... They went on an Alaskan cruise, fishing, crabbing, hunting...etc.... They said if they weren't the hunting/fishing type, it would blo

Ever think about doing the Pikes Peak Climb and all the other goodies there?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I have a friend that moved to Alaska. I sent her a message on FB. I'll let you know if she gets back to me.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #4 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
No idea of Alaska, although a friend of mine years ago RV'd up there from here for ~2 weeks... but nothing to do with cars... They went on an Alaskan cruise, fishing, crabbing, hunting...etc.... They said if they weren't the hunting/fishing type, it would blo

Ever think about doing the Pikes Peak Climb and all the other goodies there?
I DON'T CLIMB MOUNTAINS YOU CAN DRIVE UP!

Crap, sorry, I blacked out there.

-Chris
post #5 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
LOL

^So are you going for all the car goodies or "outdoor" stuff in AK?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #6 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
20,000 is no joke my friend, have you hiked several 14ers?
On a serious note, I wouldn't even consider a cruise if you want to see Alaska for what it is, unless you are planning on going back up there to appreciate everything that place has to offer.

Just my 2 cents.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
LOL

^So are you going for all the car goodies or "outdoor" stuff in AK?
Outdoor stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinterbower View Post
20,000 is no joke my friend, have you hiked several 14ers?
On a serious note, I wouldn't even consider a cruise if you want to see Alaska for what it is, unless you are planning on going back up there to appreciate everything that place has to offer.

Just my 2 cents.
Hit a few state high points, I'm a serious backpacker. I was supposed to do Grand Teton this summer as my first real mountaineering trip but my work moved me and that didn't happen. I need to get a few mountaineering trips in and have a good year of conditioning for 20k', but the best you can do is about 14,500' in the US. Basically I want to hit up GT, Raineer, and do a Mt. Whitney hike before I even seriously consider Denali.

It's several years off. Besides needing the time off to just train, I need about $12k sitting around to pay for the extra gear as well as getting to the mountain and guide service (required).

-Chris
post #8 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
She says no to a cruise, but she's never been. She says maybe a trip to Homer and go on a fishing charter. Gold mining trips in Nome. Anchorage has the most to do, but it's such a city that you have to plan some things out in the small towns in addition or you won't get a whole feel of Alaska.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #9 of 13 Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I watched brad meltzers decoded episode on the alaskian triangle. Brad watch out and don't disappear up there. Not a joke...watch the episode on demand if you have it. People just disappear up there and there is no trace of them. Its pretty weird....

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #10 of 13 Old 01-22-2012, 02:38 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
I watched brad meltzers decoded episode on the alaskian triangle. Brad watch out and don't disappear up there. Not a joke...watch the episode on demand if you have it. People just disappear up there and there is no trace of them. Its pretty weird....
That was probably one of my favorite episodes of Decoded there Kirt. Was pretty strange stuff.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #11 of 13 Old 01-22-2012, 11:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
GPS FTw lol ya i seen that too i love it!! Its scary to think about ive had a friend missing for over 3 months now, we dont live in alaska but makes u think if ppl really just disappear. In my case my friend prob gone though not like he fell in
post #12 of 13 Old 01-22-2012, 02:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
+1 for the Decoded show..lots of cool stuff on there. I have to find that episode, i haven't seen that one.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
post #13 of 13 Old 01-22-2012, 04:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzanic View Post
GPS FTw lol ya i seen that too i love it!! Its scary to think about ive had a friend missing for over 3 months now, we dont live in alaska but makes u think if ppl really just disappear. In my case my friend prob gone though not like he fell in
The electromagnetic vortexs up there might mess up your gps also though. Haha...this thread is totality off topic now. But, yeah I love the show Decoded. It makes you think. Be safe Brad if you do go to alaska.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement