New parts! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bubba James is an unknown
New parts!

It's been quiet around here lately. So I figured I'd throw this out there and see if anyone has any feedback/tips for ease of application. Bought some shtuff to solve a boost leak and exhaust leak. Mishimoto silicone hose kit for the intercooler, grimmspeed gaskets for the y pipe and bov valve, godspeed silicone turbo inlet hose (to be used with stock air box), walbro fuel pump kit, thermal zero turbo blanket, and crosspipe gaskets. (Got those at the dealership for double the price. Yay.) What say you, subbie fam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-11-2014, 04:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Have fun haha. Gaskets are pretty straight forward. The coolant pipes are too if you have ever changed your coolant before. If not its just draining the coolant, replacing the hoses, then refilling and burping the system properly. Make sure you use a bottle of the subaru coolant conditioner as well, it is a must if you don't want leaks.

The turbo inlet is going to be a royal pain though. Its a process, best to find a write up on it, you might want to look at other mods involved with taking off the intake manifold, like TGV deletes and replacing TGV to Intake gaskets and TGV to block gaskets, might as well while you are there. Fuel pump is pretty simple too, nothing tricky.
#3 Old 06-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba James View Post
It's been quiet around here lately. So I figured I'd throw this out there and see if anyone has any feedback/tips for ease of application. Bought some shtuff to solve a boost leak and exhaust leak. Mishimoto silicone hose kit for the intercooler, grimmspeed gaskets for the y pipe and bov valve, godspeed silicone turbo inlet hose (to be used with stock air box), walbro fuel pump kit, thermal zero turbo blanket, and crosspipe gaskets. (Got those at the dealership for double the price. Yay.) What say you, subbie fam?
Intercooler hose kit: use T-bolt style clamps. You can also use some hairspray to help ensure better sealing but this is not really needed usually.

Turbo inlet: Sheesh! what a pain in the ass this one is! Personally, if I had it to do again I would have went with a hard inlet. Once again, use T-bolt clamps. I'm not sure if you are going to attempt to install this with the intake manifold on or by removing it but, either way label EVERYTHING you disconnect! remember how things were routed. If you do remove the intake manifold use new gaskets and this would also be a good time to consider other things while it is off like TGV deletes or phenolic spacers. My tuner recommends tuning with a part like turbo inlet because it changes the airflow characteristics.Tuning would most def be required with TGV deletes. Also, if you remove the intake manifold, do yourself a favor and leave the TGV's attached when pulling it. If the power steering pump is in the way, don't try to take it out! Just loosen the mounts and swing it out of the way with lines still connected.

Fuel pump: Get your vacuum cleaner or air compressor out and clean around the access panel really good before you start so that dirt don't fall in the tank.Take your time wiggling out the assembly so that you don't bent the float or anything. This could cause false fuel level readings. You may have to modify (bend) the bracket ever so slightly to accept the new pump. This is normal. If you want to add anything to your fuel like injector cleaner, this is a great time to do it easily.

Crosspipe gaskets: I'm assuming you are talking about the exhaust crosspipe and not the coolant cross over pipe. If so, you might have to remove the passenger side exhaust manifold elbow which will require a new elbow to head gasket and elbow to uppipe gasket. Use your favorite penetrating lube ( insert dirty joke here) to make easier work of rusted fastners.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#4 Old 06-12-2014, 05:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bubba James is an unknown
Yes, exhaust crosspipe. I planned on taking it apart at both ends (stock mani) or taking the drivers side mani off if need be. I have an extra grimm mani to head gasket laying around anyway.

Turbo inlet is that bad, eh? I honestly don't even want to mess with the intake mani at all. Figured I'd try to wiggle that sucker out without having to cut on it.