My new Korean girlfriend... - Subaru WRX Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 11-11-2011, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
My new Korean girlfriend...

Here she is:

First of all, sorry to those who were expecting something different.

I moved to a more rural area bout 5 months ago, and buses don't appear as frequently around here as they do in the city. Plus, after 2.5 years of being a slave to bus schedules I have had enough.

This is a 2005 Tuscani Elisa (in the States I believe it would be a MY2006 Tiburon GT v6 - looking at wikipedia) with a 5spd manual. It is certainly no WRX, but I could have done a lot worse given the (lack of) selection of (affordable) performance vehicles in Korea. As far as mods go, it has a CAI (that I will probably change out for something better next spring), and the hood is wrapped in faux CF vinyl. Not my cup of tea, but I'll leave it for now. Things I do like about it though are that it has heated seats, an aftermarket head unit, and a very nice navigation/multimedia system.

However, driving this car makes me miss my WRX even more...additionally, after spending a couple days on the NewTiburon forum, I am also reminded of how great of a group we have on wrxtuners.com. Thanks for allowing me to share my new purchase with you!

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 11-11-2011, 09:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
just wondering why you didn't take your WRX with you?

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #3 of 48 Old 11-11-2011, 11:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Unrelated:

post #4 of 48 Old 11-11-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
just wondering why you didn't take your WRX with you?
I certainly would have, as it only would be about $5k-$6k total (shipping, taxes, registration, etc.). However,

1) Korean emissions laws are very strict from what I have researched. I cannot be sure that once the car is off the boat, that it will pass (with its current mods).

2) There is practically no Subaru support in this country (especially for the Impreza model). Even if I worked on it, parts would be very difficult to get and will have extra taxes levied on them (yes, even though I am so close to Japan). Korean import laws are very protectionist.

3) In order to import a non-domestic car, I need to have a permanent visa. Which in my case, the only way I will can obtain one is if I marry a Korean citizen. (I'm working on it...)

So, I left it with my dad who drives it regularly (once/maybe twice a week). I taught him how to drive it (and maintain it), and gave him a stern warning to drive responsibly. Kind of a role reversal from when I was a teenager. He has been taking good care of it. When I travel to the States twice a year, it is fun to have my WRX to drive around (instead of borrowing someone else's boring car).

Matt
post #5 of 48 Old 11-11-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Unrelated:

yes, from firsthand experience, that is pretty accurate. !Laugh!

Matt
post #6 of 48 Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ That almost made me wet my pants - hilarious!!!

John
07 WRX
post #7 of 48 Old 11-11-2011, 08:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Boobs or.....stupid misleading title....

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #8 of 48 Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Was going to ask the same thing about the WRX.

Why are you there again ?

I really was expecting something else from the title... But then noticed it wasn't locked, so it HAD to be something else.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #9 of 48 Old 11-15-2011, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Was going to ask the same thing about the WRX.

Why are you there again ?

I really was expecting something else from the title... But then noticed it wasn't locked, so it HAD to be something else.
I used to work in the insurance industry as a legislative analyst/consultant on the wholesaling side. When wholesalers got in over their heads with huge, complicated cases, I would rescue them. I also was fortunate enough to travel and give presentations around the U.S.

However, in early 2009 I was laid off (unexpectedly, because I thought I was safe). My position was very unique and is usually filled by people 20 years older than me who do not leave their jobs. So, finding another job with another company was out of the question. Honestly, it was a blessing in disguise because by that point (because of my 'intimacy' with what the federal government was up to) I had no desire to continue working in the corporate insurance/investment industry.

So, I decided to teach English abroad and that landed me in Korea. It has been a complete lifestyle change, and I would be lying if I said it was not the hardest challenge of my life. However, being able to act as a big brother to 800+ students is quite fulfilling.

I have been here for 2.5 years and, due to a lot of hard work, I am finally becoming fluent enough in the language to truly be independent. Part of that was buying this car, negotiating entirely in Korean. Now the responsibility of maintaining this car will help me learn even more Korean (explaining things using technical phrases and developing relationships with one-on-one service oriented businesses), which will allow me to become even more self-sufficient. That's the plan anyway.

Thanks for listening.

Matt
post #10 of 48 Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Wow.... Thanks for explaining....

All you had to say was "for a job"... lol

Good life lesson I suppose.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #11 of 48 Old 11-15-2011, 10:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Awesome man. I wish I could even learn another language fluantly enough to be more than broken language or have gramatical errors abound. I bet its be a huge culture shock and adjustment. But, very fun to see your improvement and how you can be dual fluant in two languages. I heard that once you have a dream in your new language thats like a big ah ha moment. Congrats on your new Tuscani and let us know how your new girlfriend treats you. lol

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #12 of 48 Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
...well, so far she's been treating me pretty well. So, I decided to buy her some Christmas presents: new springs, struts, wheels, and tires. She didn't even accuse me of buying them for myself!

Matt
post #13 of 48 Old 12-10-2011, 09:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
just be careful, shes a shark lol

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #14 of 48 Old 12-17-2011, 02:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

CorvetteMike2004 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Unrelated:

God, is that a joke or is it an accurate cartoon?
post #15 of 48 Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Well, it's time for an update...

Here are the mods I've done since December:

ARK shorty antenna
slave cyl mod (these cars have a valve in the clutch slave cyl to manipulate the engagement of the clutch, and the consensus is that it does more harm than good)
protective undercoating (summer torrential rains are coming!)
timing belt, all pulleys, and water pump replacement
polyurethane engine mounts
polyurethane swaybar bushings
engine vibration damper
new halfshafts (both cv boots had spewed their grease)
new lower A-arms (the rubber bushings were almost completely ripped apart/out of the hole)
Jun B.L exhaust (including headers)

The Jun B.L exhaust has a really smooth, throaty purr. It has a really nice resonating sound from 2700-3300rpm under load. Above that rpm it seems to quiet down a little bit (but that may be because I am outrunning my own soundwaves ^_^). Anyway, I am very pleased with it. I decided to go with the single exit because the dual exit design for this car is more for looks than performance in my opinion, and the single exit saves weight. (It makes me miss the roar of my WRX though.)

This exhaust is not ordered as a kit. Each piece is selected separately, which means it must be custom fitted to the car. Needless to say, it was exciting to see it as it was assembled and welded together! I feel truly fortunate to have the professionals at SMA (Korea) doing the dirty work on my Tib!

Here are some pics of the exhaust system and install:

next pic is the high flow cat

I believe the logo is laser(?) etched onto the tip

PLEASE do not "quote" this post! Thank you

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement