My chick needs a car!!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-14-2007, 09:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
My chick needs a car!!!

Early to mid 90's. "somthing sporty" The '90 Celica GT-S will cost about 3,000 to fix. So i'm looking for a replacement. Any ideas?

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-15-2007, 11:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

THR3E11EVEN is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to THR3E11EVEN
Mustang or Eclipse imo

Dub-R-X
#3 Old 09-15-2007, 11:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

a.young is an unknown
honestly if you want something super dependable for not alot of money you have to go honda . i mean really if you can find one not abused or modified they will be your best choice cheap to fix and easy to find parts

stage 2 STi...and still not enough
#4 Old 09-22-2007, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Today I found a 87 300ZX for 4,000. 106,000mi, V-6 5speed ,T-tops,rustproofed, timimg belt,water pump and so on all new. Great shape for a 20 yr old car. What do ya' think?

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#5 Old 09-24-2007, 11:54 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
300ZX's are not very reliable rides and $4k is no bargan for a 20 YEAR OLD CAR. It's also RWD... If she drives anything like my wife, I'd be looking at an understeering FWD car rather than anything with oversteer.

Personally, I'd look into another Celica. They're great little cars. Another excellent choice is a Integra or prelude.

no idea where you live but I'd be looking at something like this:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...0&cardist=1137
or
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...0&cardist=2218
or
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...0&cardist=1137

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

a.young is an unknown
i think you might be asking for trouble with that sounds like a great second car but .. i would have to question the its abilty to be a dependable daily driver . and i agree with mosc i keep my wife in a fwd car .

stage 2 STi...and still not enough
#7 Old 09-24-2007, 08:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
a 20 year old 300? goodness me.

keep in mind "sporty" to most women is hinged 100% on looks, not what you, i, or any respectable (straight) male would require for the sporty classification. with that in mind, im going to have to say Honda/Acura. good integra's are a dime a dozen these days and are good cars. you cant go wrong with a civic (although, thats a hard one to get into the sporty catagory) or the oh-so-popular prelude. most girls i know think the prelude is da sex.

steer clear of modded cars, both mechanically and visually. try to buy from older people. and steer clear of ANYTHING aimed at the performance market. 300z's are right out the door. you dont want to buy into a money pit, and anything performance related 10+ years old will be just that.

your BEST bet is to buy from a dealer, buy something thats certified pre-owned. and get a warrenty, it will well worth the extra dough.
#8 Old 09-24-2007, 09:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

My girl has owned both front and rear wheel drive cars. Many Iowa winters with both. She drives a 5-speed just fine and actually prefers it. She can heal-toe with the best of them. She is a driver and wants a drivers car. But we are poor. She can't spend more than 4,000 bucks. Here in Hicksville IA it's hard to find a good japaneise 10 yr old sports car that hasn't been beat to hell or modded (or rusted). I guess I'll have to look into E-bay or something. I don't have a clue how to do that. Has anyone ever done that before? How do they transport the cars cross-contry?

mosc..those cars would be perfect!!! If only I lived in FL. !Cry!

#9 Old 09-25-2007, 12:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

mystilexzero is an unknown
mosc DEFINATELY picked out the cream of the crop there, i would look into an integra or prelude as those cars are highly wanted by girls, even the eclipse gs's run strong as ive seen plenty goto the 200k mileage mark.

a little off topic here but i think the older 300zx's run just fine if taken proper care =) we had 2 in our garage both belonging to my dad, one turbo one n/a, by proper care im talking he did his own timing belts and water pump with no help from the internet, just a haynes manual what a pain! too bad he's too old to help me with my cars now =(
#10 Old 09-25-2007, 12:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

mr04wrx is more helpful than not
I had an 84 300zx n/a with 120xxx miles on it. It snowed 2 inches here and I was driving home. The thing was soooo nose heavy with the v6 that I barely let off the gas and the thing spun out. It also had tranny problems and it sat so low, my wife, who is 5'3" couldn't even see over the dash. Shoot remembering now, I didin't have the best view out of it and I'm 5'9". So in other words, I suggest not getting that Gen of "Z".
#11 Old 09-25-2007, 12:34 PM

Garage
well you didn't tell me WHERE you lived... if you give me a state or an approximate zip code I could throw more relevant findings at you.

1992-1996 Honda Prelude
1994-1997 Acura Integra
1994-1999 Toyota Celica

those would be what I was thinking of. You should be able to find one of those in good shape with 100k miles or less for ~$4k

#12 Old 09-25-2007, 12:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
well you didn't tell me WHERE you lived... if you give me a state or an approximate zip code I could throw more relevant findings at you.

1992-1996 Honda Prelude
1994-1997 Acura Integra
1994-1999 Toyota Celica

those would be what I was thinking of. You should be able to find one of those in good shape with 100k miles or less for ~$4k
Rock the GSR, even though harder to find, vtec engine plus high revs = fun fun fun

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#13 Old 09-25-2007, 10:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post

1992-1996 Honda Prelude
1994-1997 Acura Integra
1994-1999 Toyota Celica

Iowa City, Iowa, 52240

#14 Old 09-26-2007, 12:56 AM

Garage
You live in the middle of nowhere so you're going to have to drive:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true
lots of miles but cheap and looks clean

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...adExists=false
$5k but 97 with ~100k miles is a good value.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...adExists=false
doesn't list much info but what they do have seems about right

#15 Old 10-20-2007, 12:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

I think I found it!!! A 95 3000GT. 5-speed 118,000 mi. No,sadly its not the VR-4. 5,000 bucks. It's a 2hr drive tomarow to check it out. What do you guys think? What should I watch out for?