my cars engine is being torn down - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 03-21-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

agileblue is an unknown
my cars engine is being torn down

I got this m-f 8 weeks ago!

I am not a happy person currently. So, my wrx started making this really crumby scratchy/clicking noise when I accelerate. I bring it to the dealership - mechanic says it sounds rod-ish; Monday they start trying to figure out what the deal is. They checked to see if it was the timing belt tensioner. They called back later, not the timing belt tensioner, car will be there a while cause the warranty people want to come and check it out to make sure I haven't neglected or abused it. So I go get a loaner from them - wow the 2012 foresters have great gas mileage - but I want my wrx back sooner rather than later please.

So anyway, get a call today, they have to tear the engine apart even further. I think he said split the engine or something. I can't remember, all I remember clearly was him stating that at this juncture, if the warranty people say it won't be covered because of some bs, I'm looking at $1200 for the tear down.

I want to scream. I've put 3,000 miles on it in 8 weeks driving back and forth from work, I've also had the oil changed since buying it. So wtf could I have possibly done to neglect or abuse this thing? Really? Really? I'm a 19 year old 5'0 tall girl for gods sake, I'm not racing my wagon! I mean seriously it has crappy touring tires on it, wth am I going to be doing with those things on? >

Seriously. Rod bearings most likely on their way out and I just got this car?!

So...this is how I feel about the warranty people coming out right now. I am going to throw the biggest hissy fit ever if they try to deny coverage.

Sorry for the rant. I had to get the steam out.

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 03-22-2012, 12:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The chances of you being covered are not that high. It's going to be a hell of a lot more than $1,200 to fix an engine.
post #3 of 52 Old 03-22-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

agileblue is an unknown
I realize it will be a hell of a lot more, unfortunately.

So, I have a 36,000 mile power train warranty for nothing? :/ I mean I just can't figure out what reason they have to not cover me.

Kelly
post #4 of 52 Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
What kind of warranty did you purchase? From the dealer or a fly-by night warranty company?

They have to PROVE neglect.

Waiting on reply.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #5 of 52 Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

agileblue is an unknown
I bought the 36,000 mile/3 year powertrain warranty from the Subaru dealership I got the car from. I knew it was a good idea - considering the car has high mileage - but really, didn't know I'd be using it this soon in the game!

Kelly
post #6 of 52 Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
What kind of warranty did you purchase? From the dealer or a fly-by night warranty company?

They have to PROVE neglect.

Waiting on reply.
Not necessarily. They just have to be able to say that there is room for doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agileblue View Post
I bought the 36,000 mile/3 year powertrain warranty from the Subaru dealership I got the car from. I knew it was a good idea - considering the car has high mileage - but really, didn't know I'd be using it this soon in the game!
It may not be a warranty thru Subaru of America, but rather an aftermarket one. Dealerships are not generally sell SOA warranties except on cars with low to moderate mileage simply because the further out of the initial 36k warranty you are, the more the cost of an extended warranty goes up (and it goes up very quickly. A 90k extended warranty will near double in price by 37k miles).

If it is a Subaru warranty, they will send out a rep to come look over the car. It will not be a dealer decision. If it's an aftermarket warranty you will be approved or declined over the phone.
post #7 of 52 Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
They won't deny the work. 8 weeks and no flashes or aftermarket tune.... You are fine....

After that .... Let the fun begin... Don't stress it.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #8 of 52 Old 03-22-2012, 10:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Not necessarily. They just have to be able to say that there is room for doubt.

It may not be a warranty thru Subaru of America, but rather an aftermarket one. Dealerships are not generally sell SOA warranties except on cars with low to moderate mileage simply because the further out of the initial 36k warranty you are, the more the cost of an extended warranty goes up (and it goes up very quickly).
Room for doubt ?

Doubt that she kept up with the car? In 8 weeks ?

If she didn't tune/flash the car, then it was sold with a bad tune (IF that's even the case). They are responsible for how the car left the lot..

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #9 of 52 Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

agileblue is an unknown
It is an SOA warranty - they stop offering the 36,000/3 year warranty past the 100,000 mile mark. I bought this car with 91,000 on it so they HAD to offer me the warranty. Knowing this is a performance car, I was like YEP give me that 1,800 dollar warranty because I KNEW it would be needed at some point in the next 36,000. I'm not that dumb, 91,000 miles on an 05 WRX - ya, there is a chance that something is going to give even if I drive the car like a grandmother and maintain it like it's made of gold. I figured, better them pay for something huge like the turbo going than me.

And yes, it is a warranty rep coming to look over my car and make sure I haven't neglected, abused, raced - what have you.

And the people in the service department have been more than nice to me. I think they'll put in a good word considering it is being worked on at the same dealership that sold it to me. But seriously, not that a good word should even matter at this point. 8 weeks in, stock, had the oil changed on the regular scheduled maintenance interval. I should be good.

edit: I think I'm just fretting and irritated because the warranty people were supposed to check it out on Tuesday and it's Thursday and they still haven't checked it out + the engine might have some BIG parts needing to be replaced. So I might not have my wrx back for a few weeks. This is where the irritation/fretting/and ranting spawns from. I know I shouldn't be worrying, but I am.

- I'm seeing civics with fart cans drive by and I can't mess with them in the forester.

Kelly
post #10 of 52 Old 03-22-2012, 12:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

I can in MY Forester... haha

They should still be telling you "blow by blow" what is going on.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #11 of 52 Old 03-22-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

agileblue is an unknown
Well, this isn't a forester XT! Wish it was.

They've been updating me late in the afternoon so I'm expecting a call sometime today. I think he said he was going to start splitting the engine this morning.

eta: Called today to figure out if they had discovered anything new about my cars engine problem. Warranty people still haven't been out to check on it yet - apparently they probably won't find anything out until Monday.

Kelly

Last edited by agileblue; 03-22-2012 at 10:42 PM.
post #12 of 52 Old 03-22-2012, 11:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
If it needs a new engine...then you will be stuck with the forester for a bit. I hope it turns out that they will cover it. Otherwise what is the use of buying a warranty?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #13 of 52 Old 03-23-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

agileblue is an unknown
I know right - that is exactly my point...But, I'm pretty sure they will cover it as I haven't done anything wrong and had it maintained properly in the 8 weeks that I had it. So I'll stop tripping about that until I hear more. But I hope it doesn't need a new engine. If it does...Well, me and the forester are going to have to become buddies for a bit I guess.

This just reallllllllllly blows. I miss my car a lot.
post #14 of 52 Old 03-23-2012, 11:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Isn't there a law on used cars for like 60-90 days..?

Maybe there isn't...

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #15 of 52 Old 03-23-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

agileblue is an unknown
I'm pretty sure that you can take a car back within 3 days of purchasing because of some law regarding contracts.

Not sure about 60-90 days...Regardless it's been more than 60 days but less than 90. But thanks for the thought, I'm going to go look it up now.

There is an XT in their lot right now right above $14,000...I'd swap my wrx for that anyday of the week.

If for some ungodly reason they decided not to cover it...well, this would probably be one of the toppers to the list of crappy things SOA does to people.
(and I'm looking at an engine swap at that point, not going to be inexpensive but if I HAVE to spend the money on it maybe thinking a 2.5l conversion which i hear is a giant pain in the ass for 05s unfortunately )