Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   The Hangout (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   my cars engine is being torn down (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/my-cars-engine-being-torn-down-32223/)

agileblue 03-21-2012 10:05 PM

my cars engine is being torn down

:|

I got this m-f 8 weeks ago!

I am not a happy person currently. So, my wrx started making this really crumby scratchy/clicking noise when I accelerate. I bring it to the dealership - mechanic says it sounds rod-ish; Monday they start trying to figure out what the deal is. They checked to see if it was the timing belt tensioner. They called back later, not the timing belt tensioner, car will be there a while cause the warranty people want to come and check it out to make sure I haven't neglected or abused it. So I go get a loaner from them - wow the 2012 foresters have great gas mileage - but I want my wrx back sooner rather than later please.

So anyway, get a call today, they have to tear the engine apart even further. I think he said split the engine or something. I can't remember, all I remember clearly was him stating that at this juncture, if the warranty people say it won't be covered because of some bs, I'm looking at $1200 for the tear down.

I want to scream. I've put 3,000 miles on it in 8 weeks driving back and forth from work, I've also had the oil changed since buying it. So wtf could I have possibly done to neglect or abuse this thing? Really? Really? I'm a 19 year old 5'0 tall girl for gods sake, I'm not racing my wagon! I mean seriously it has crappy touring tires on it, wth am I going to be doing with those things on? >:|

Seriously. Rod bearings most likely on their way out and I just got this car?! :notgood:

So...this is how I feel about the warranty people coming out right now. :beatentod I am going to throw the biggest hissy fit ever if they try to deny coverage.

Sorry for the rant. I had to get the steam out.

brfatal 03-21-2012 11:03 PM

The chances of you being covered are not that high. It's going to be a hell of a lot more than $1,200 to fix an engine.

agileblue 03-21-2012 11:16 PM

I realize it will be a hell of a lot more, unfortunately.

So, I have a 36,000 mile power train warranty for nothing? :/ I mean I just can't figure out what reason they have to not cover me.

pzr2874 03-22-2012 05:40 AM

What kind of warranty did you purchase? From the dealer or a fly-by night warranty company?

They have to PROVE neglect.

Waiting on reply.

agileblue 03-22-2012 07:46 AM

I bought the 36,000 mile/3 year powertrain warranty from the Subaru dealership I got the car from. I knew it was a good idea - considering the car has high mileage - but really, didn't know I'd be using it this soon in the game!

brfatal 03-22-2012 09:03 AM

[quote=pzr2874;277590]What kind of warranty did you purchase? From the dealer or a fly-by night warranty company?

They have to PROVE neglect.

Waiting on reply.[/quote]

Not necessarily. They just have to be able to say that there is room for doubt.

[quote=agileblue;277598]I bought the 36,000 mile/3 year powertrain warranty from the Subaru dealership I got the car from. I knew it was a good idea - considering the car has high mileage - but really, didn't know I'd be using it this soon in the game![/quote]

It may not be a warranty thru Subaru of America, but rather an aftermarket one. Dealerships are not generally sell SOA warranties except on cars with low to moderate mileage simply because the further out of the initial 36k warranty you are, the more the cost of an extended warranty goes up (and it goes up [I]very [/I]quickly. A 90k extended warranty will near double in price by 37k miles).

If it is a Subaru warranty, they will send out a rep to come look over the car. It will not be a dealer decision. If it's an aftermarket warranty you will be approved or declined over the phone.

pzr2874 03-22-2012 09:03 AM

They won't deny the work. 8 weeks and no flashes or aftermarket tune.... You are fine....

After that .... Let the fun begin... Don't stress it.

pzr2874 03-22-2012 09:04 AM

[quote=brfatal;277602]Not necessarily. They just have to be able to say that there is room for doubt.

It may not be a warranty thru Subaru of America, but rather an aftermarket one. Dealerships are not generally sell SOA warranties except on cars with low to moderate mileage simply because the further out of the initial 36k warranty you are, the more the cost of an extended warranty goes up (and it goes up [I]very [/I]quickly).[/quote]

Room for doubt ?

Doubt that she kept up with the car? In 8 weeks ?

If she didn't tune/flash the car, then it was sold with a bad tune (IF that's even the case). They are responsible for how the car left the lot..

agileblue 03-22-2012 09:28 AM

It is an SOA warranty - they stop offering the 36,000/3 year warranty past the 100,000 mile mark. I bought this car with 91,000 on it so they HAD to offer me the warranty. Knowing this is a performance car, I was like YEP give me that 1,800 dollar warranty because I KNEW it would be needed at some point in the next 36,000. I'm not [I]that [/I]dumb, 91,000 miles on an 05 WRX - ya, there is a chance that something is going to give even if I drive the car like a grandmother and maintain it like it's made of gold. I figured, better them pay for something huge like the turbo going than me.

And yes, it is a warranty rep coming to look over my car and make sure I haven't neglected, abused, raced - what have you.

And the people in the service department have been more than nice to me. I think they'll put in a good word considering it is being worked on at the same dealership that sold it to me. But seriously, not that a good word should even matter at this point. 8 weeks in, stock, had the oil changed on the regular scheduled maintenance interval. I should be good.

edit: I think I'm just fretting and irritated because the warranty people were supposed to check it out on Tuesday and it's Thursday and they still haven't checked it out + the engine might have some BIG parts needing to be replaced. So I might not have my wrx back for a few weeks. This is where the irritation/fretting/and ranting spawns from. I know I shouldn't be worrying, but I am.

- I'm seeing civics with fart cans drive by and I can't mess with them in the forester. :( :( :(

pzr2874 03-22-2012 11:05 AM

I can in MY Forester... haha

They should still be telling you "blow by blow" what is going on.

agileblue 03-22-2012 02:47 PM

Well, this isn't a forester XT! Wish it was.

They've been updating me late in the afternoon so I'm expecting a call sometime today. I think he said he was going to start splitting the engine this morning.

eta: Called today to figure out if they had discovered anything new about my cars engine problem. Warranty people still haven't been out to check on it yet - apparently they probably won't find anything out until Monday.

:|

turmic 03-22-2012 10:45 PM

If it needs a new engine...then you will be stuck with the forester for a bit. I hope it turns out that they will cover it. Otherwise what is the use of buying a warranty?

agileblue 03-23-2012 09:16 AM

I know right - that is exactly my point...But, I'm pretty sure they will cover it as I haven't done anything wrong and had it maintained properly in the 8 weeks that I had it. So I'll stop tripping about that until I hear more. But I hope it doesn't need a new engine. If it does...Well, me and the forester are going to have to become buddies for a bit I guess.

This just reallllllllllly blows. I miss my car a lot.

pzr2874 03-23-2012 10:19 AM

Isn't there a law on used cars for like 60-90 days..?

Maybe there isn't...

agileblue 03-23-2012 11:01 AM

I'm pretty sure that you can take a car back within 3 days of purchasing because of some law regarding contracts.

Not sure about 60-90 days...Regardless it's been more than 60 days but less than 90. But thanks for the thought, I'm going to go look it up now.

There is an XT in their lot right now right above $14,000...I'd swap my wrx for that anyday of the week.

If for some ungodly reason they decided not to cover it...well, this would probably be one of the toppers to the list of crappy things SOA does to people.
(and I'm looking at an engine swap at that point, not going to be inexpensive but if I HAVE to spend the money on it maybe thinking a 2.5l conversion which i hear is a giant pain in the ass for 05s unfortunately :|)