My 1st WRX. Which specific car do I buy? Stock or not? - Subaru WRX Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

sooner190 is an unknown
My 1st WRX. Which specific car do I buy? Stock or not?

I've read so many of this forum's great threads and have finally decided to post myself. I am about to buy my first Subaru and am very excited but I just don't know what car to buy. Iím a law student with little free time, a strict budget, & 2 more years before graduation. I have okay car knowledge & have always done my own work, but I'm far from a pro & have never worked on a Subaru.

That said, my requirements:
Price: $10,000 or less
Reliability: must last at least 2 years (20,000 miles) without any major problems
Performance: the best I can get within the budget & reliability parameters (which may be stock), but I do plan to do small things like exhaust, cobb tuner, & maybe suspension & intake (as my budget & craigslist availability allows) in the first 2 years. Iíll save the real fun for after graduation.
Type: I want an STi, but my budget makes this, at best, quite doubtful. I prefer the 04-05 body, but will settle with a bugeye or 06-07 if it really wins on value.
Location: I live in Oklahoma City & would prefer to buy local, but am willing to travel to buy if the car is in my budget after travel costs.

=> MY SPECIFIC QUESTION: What car do I buy & what should I pay??!?

Let me know if you know of a car that you think I should buy!
Here are my top 2 options thus far: (I may add others depending on thread responses)

04 WRX: dealer is asking $10000, 84046 miles, appears completely stock & unmodified, black. 2 owner carfax that appears clean, owner 1 had it only 3k miles in IL & owner 2 was in CO.
Notes: Glad I saw it before dealer started showing it, there was lots of hail damage & it reeked like no other smokerís car could, but engine looked very clean even then. The dealerís janky neighboring shop has fixed a rear door dent, hail damage, & replaced both the hood & trunk. Car still smells strongly of smoke after its cleaning, has a passenger seat cig burn, front cup holder wouldnít come out, & center console has a tear (donít really care, but I want it to help me with price).
Worries: Little rocks stuck in top of intercooler, tough to get in 1st gear but this improved as I drove it (btw, it was my 1st time driving a WRX so Idk how it should feel, & I was quite surprised by how long the clutch was!), car will soon need 85k maintenance (what does this cost?), & the dealer is a shady douch.

05 WRX: 92k miles on body, 32k on engine, blue. Seller says he knows little about cars & that it is in the same condition as when he bought it. He has docs for the engine work, but I haven't had a chance to go see it or test drive the car.
His description: "2005 Subaru limited wrx/sti. Full clone except spoiler. 2.5 engine, 5 spd, 17' Enkei performance series, boost gauge, cold air intake, electronic wheel dump control, running only on 6psi for fuel efficiency. It has a sunroof, new brakes, new alignment, recent oil change.. it has some paint chips and minor right passenger ding. Nothing serious. I'm asking for about 15 negotiable, no low ballers. Kbb says its worth about 20K also I am in no rush and ## more than welcome to bring a mechanic to check it out"
Worries: 6psi boost for untold reasons, 2.5 block with low miles sounds good but it indicates a blown engine at some point and that the car has taken a beating. Asking price is out of my budget but I'm hoping its negotiable to $10k, especially since I have other options & bc its been on craigslist for over a month.

After negotiating price & before paying, I plan to take the car to a shop to put it on a lift, check out the turbo, compression test, etc. Are there any other specific things I should have looked at? What problems may still hide from a thorough check? Where should I take the car? I was just thinking a subaru dealership, unless anyone knows of an okc local subaru shop.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I am not here to waste your time or make you do my work for me, I just need some specific help. That said, feel free to refer me to other threads if this 1 starts to get repetitive. I have taken the time to read a lot of forums on WRX buying tips, what problems to look for, etc., before I decided to ask for this car specific help.

(I believe this is posted in the right place, but please let me know if I didn't, or if there are any other problems with the post. I'll fix any issues asap.)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

sooner190 is an unknown
The wanna-be STi blue WRX:
Attached Images

#3 Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

sooner190 is an unknown
The stock black WRX:
Attached Images

#4 Old 05-15-2013, 03:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Stock, always buy stock if you can. Buying a modded car is buying someone elses problems.
booosted09 and LW_Black4 like this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

sooner190 is an unknown
Thanks for the response! I feel like that is the general consensus. I am leaning towards buying the stock one and will probably try to offer the dealer $7000-8500 in the next few days. I really wanted that blue one since it already has the 2.5 block but I am definitely worried about buying his problems. I might go check it out anyway though, any idea what issues might still hide after I have the turbo & compression checked out?
#6 Old 05-16-2013, 06:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
This link might be helpful: Car Buying FAQ: read if you are buying/selling/leasing a Subaru or other car - NASIOC

Keep in mind with the black 04 that the 90k maintenance is quickly approaching and that'll set you back a few hundred bucks at least. The timing belt should be done around 105k, so that's probably going to be about a thousand or more unless you do it yourself. Here's another helpful link: Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

John
07 WRX
#7 Old 05-16-2013, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

pamark is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to pamark
I would agree, buy stock. The wannabe STi seems like the price is high. And running 6 psi for "fuel effeicency" seems way to shady.
#8 Old 05-16-2013, 02:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Definitely the black one.
#9 Old 05-16-2013, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
if it is completely stock why is there a boost gauge? maybe it was brought back to stock?
#10 Old 05-17-2013, 03:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekamikaze kid View Post
if it is completely stock why is there a boost gauge? maybe it was brought back to stock?
That was a factory option on these cars...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#11 Old 05-17-2013, 03:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
ahhh, was wondering about that...
#12 Old 05-17-2013, 03:40 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I wouldn't believe anybody who told me a 10 year old turbo car was stock. I simply would not believe it.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#13 Old 05-17-2013, 11:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
move on and keep looking... Your intended offer is still too much for the "ashtray" IMHO. Just by how you have worded your post, you deserve a better car than either of those choices.

In my experience, it is a good idea to have $2k-$3k "emergency/upgrade" fund with these cars. Therefore, given your stated budget I'd be looking to spend no more than $8k. I think there are WRXs in better condition to be had at $8k. The real question is how much patience and time do you have to go without one?

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#14 Old 05-20-2013, 10:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

sooner190 is an unknown
Thanks for the responses and helpful input!

Sadly, I'm getting to where I need to buy a car within the next couple weeks. I have an internship that is pretty important to me (maybe the key to future car $), & I am risking the imminent death of the old borrowed chevy truck (it has a knock) on the way to work every day.
My Subaru finds & fallouts, coupled with the always declining truck, has slightly changed my priorities, as is reflected below:

Black "stock" 04 WRX: The Fall-Back
It can only be negotiated down to $9500 (via my efforts), so I walked. I really do think the car is stock, but on top of the aforementioned problems, I've noticed that the front bumper is loose, it has a lot of bad touchups with the nail polish styled matching cover up, rear bumper clear coat is peeling, and I really just don't like or trust the dealer.

...skipping the events of cars that couldn't be negotiated into my budget...

Blue 05 wanna be STi: The Dark Horse
It has yet to be seen. He says a new clutch is being put in it by a shop now.. I was about to stop talking to him when he got really defensive after telling him I'd offer 10k at best. He proceeded to apologize & claim 350-400 hp, dependability because it was done by some particular shop, said he would come to me for a test drive in the next 2 days, then stated a lowest taking price of $12k. I think he may be bipolar.. but I'm down to take a travel-free look and hope for the severely unlikely chance that he is not selling a thrashed money pit.

05 silver WRX: A New Hope
This car is a few hours away & I can still back out after travel, but I will have an excuse to see some friends when I get there, & I've figured that travel will only add about $140 to total costs. It should be stock other than exhaust, & it would be sent out for an independent inspection before I made the trip. The dealer seems pretty firm on price, so I figure to pay between $10-11k. It could be a win simply because it should be a clean car, the dealer is appreciably forward, its has the least miles, & I need something soon.

04 Silver WRX: Noticeable..
90k miles, 5-6 hr drive & another chance to see some friends, supposed to be stock, asking $9K. Idk, the pictures make it look like something my parents owned: well cared for mechanically with the well worn feel of a big family with small children. Idk where to rank it, but it seems to deserve remembrance.

Let me know what you think!

I will be making my decision in the next week or two. ..I know, my need means it won't be the coolest car or the greatest deal. But hopefully, keeping my internship alive & well will be more beneficial in the long run.
#15 Old 05-20-2013, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

sooner190 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepr View Post
move on and keep looking... Your intended offer is still too much for the "ashtray" IMHO. Just by how you have worded your post, you deserve a better car than either of those choices.

In my experience, it is a good idea to have $2k-$3k "emergency/upgrade" fund with these cars. Therefore, given your stated budget I'd be looking to spend no more than $8k. I think there are WRXs in better condition to be had at $8k. The real question is how much patience and time do you have to go without one?
I would love to take your advice, but I think it is time to move past my ideal situation.

I have considered regular maintenance costs with all these cars, & outside of the blue WRX, that is the only spending I expect to have in my first 2 years of ownership. I totally shouldn't think this way & it even goes against my beliefs, but I have plenty of unused student loan money available if an emergency arises..

As my last posts suggests, my time & patience is waning. I think I am most willing to compromise my budget goals, basically because the alternative is likely to outweigh with higher interest rate emergency costs later.

Is there anything, outside of scheduled maintenance, that I should add to realistic ownership costs?