MAZDASPEED Protege / WRX trap speeds - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-05-2004, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RAAZ227 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to RAAZ227
Lightbulb MAZDASPEED Protege / WRX trap speeds

ok... I am sure you all are aware of this turbocharged new comer. Well, it is not all that great in the speed wise but, it is a good handler.

The reason for this post is because I came from Hondas to Mazdas and now Subby. Well on the Mazda forum people keep on talking trash about how they smoke a WRX with minor boost upgrades intake and exhaust. They are non-stop posting threads titled "smoked a WRX"! IMO, they are just hatting for some reason I don't know.

Some do respect the refinement of the WRX but keep on arguing that the WRX is S-L-O-W from a roll. I do know that there is Drivetrain loss due to the AWD but come on now! The WRX is more then a second faster. They keep telling me they smoke the REX becuase of it's low trap speed and they are slow due to that. There are even some guys on there talking about how some of the REX owners have full TB, UP, Intake, ect. and they are smoking them with there lightly modded MSP (mazdaspeed protege). Don't get me worng I do respect the MSP for what it is, but these 2 cars are completly different.

Now here is my argument. The reason for the WRX's low trap speed is due to it's low 60' time, right??? Now the average WRX hits a 1.8 60' and a stock MSP hit 2.2 ~ 2.4 60'. Now my theory behind it all is that the MSP has a longer time between 0 and 60 to catch up MPH on the WRX.

Can anyone elaborate on this for me?? Opions are welcome!

Thanks *end rant*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-05-2004, 10:14 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
My dad has an MP3. I drove the Mazdaspeed. I have a WRX. Lemme tell yah, I have a stock WRX and it whoops the MP3 and it incredibly faster than the Mazdaspeed. Now I am not very familiar w/ the MazdaSpeed but I believe it runs a very low boost, around 7 psi if I am not mistaking. Now the wrx w/ the simple mods, exhaust, uppipe, engine management puts out 227 whp according to TXS. I think they are exaggerating when they say a slightly modded MazdaSpeed can whoop a stage 2 wrx. I don't think the MSP boost can be increased very much w/o serious mods to the internals. I have been reading up at an MP3 site that also talks about MSP's and the fastest MSP I have seen on the site is still in the 13 secs and that is HEAVILY modded. I am not very sure on your actual questions you posted but I would just like to give my input from somebody who has read about both cars and driven both.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-05-2004, 11:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Yes the MSP motor is just the Stock motor with a turbo slapped on there. It cannot handle too much more boost I'm sure.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/04...zda/index.html
post #4 of 7 Old 04-06-2004, 07:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
The WRX's low trap speed is due to it's weight. I have yet to see a Mazdaspeed come anywhere close to a WRX. I'm talking about a stock WRX. We won't even get into mine....
post #5 of 7 Old 04-06-2004, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RAAZ227 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by jwtarbaj
Yes the MSP motor is just the Stock motor with a turbo slapped on there. It cannot handle too much more boost I'm sure.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/04...zda/index.html
yes! more then 50% of the people have literally blown there engine! Very, very weak.. especially the rods
post #6 of 7 Old 04-08-2004, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Outrider is an unknown
I actually learned to drive a manual on my cousin's MP3 (yes I was 20+ when I learned a 5-speed have your laughs you cads). Anyhow that car has nothing on a WRX, in fact my sister's cavalier could keep up with the MP3. As for the Mazdaspeed I believe it has the smallest turbo made by Greddy, correct me if I'm wrong. My cousin was interested in turbocharging his MP3 until he learned the engine couldn't handle much more than 9psi. So I sincerely doubt anyone's stock Mazdaspeed is "whooping" a stage 2 WRX. But driver skillz do account for a whole lot in a race. As with all things, I'll believe it when I see it.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-09-2004, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RAAZ227 is an unknown
stock Mitsubishi Turbo, ECU suck, cant tune them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement