Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   The Hangout (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Love the Snow, but I love my Subie even More (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/love-snow-but-i-love-my-subie-even-more-27739/)

newtothegame 12-08-2009 10:27 AM

Love the Snow, but I love my Subie even More

So we got about 5-51/2" of snow last nite, but they didnt call off work (until after I got there of course). But its about a 12 minute drive (one way), and apparently the state of Kansas didnt get the memo about all the snow coming. So the interstate was barely plowed this morning. No worries I got a subie:D. Anyways on my way to work I saw a 350Z in the middle median, facing the oppisite way he was traveling. I couldnt help but laugh. Then I also saw a Ram 1500 a few miles down the road on the right side in the grass where he slide of the road. And two exits down a Ford F150 slide down the on ramp into the grass. I know this has alot to do with where you are from and your driving habits. But I just had to share, it made me appreciate me Subaru yet again.

mfarnham 12-08-2009 10:38 AM

Ha that's awesome. I know exactly how you felt. We got a couple inches of snow over the weekend here. I couldn't help but smile as I flew past people doing 70 in the middle of a storm. No one felt like plowing where I live either.

02WRXbugeye 12-08-2009 12:05 PM

Its been about 15 degrees in the morning with a high of 32 all week where I live and still no snow:(

PdxRex 12-08-2009 12:36 PM

[quote=02WRXbugeye;236369]Its been about 15 degrees in the morning with a high of 32 all week where I live and still no snow:([/quote]

Yeah tell me about it, the same here, need some clouds for moisture. Waiting sucks!!:notgood:

man show 12-08-2009 01:05 PM

I get a little annoyed at whoever designs parking lots these days. None of them are wide open any more and suitable for big, slow, awd snow donuts. They all have light posts or grassy/bushy/flowery islands surrounded by high curbs or rocks/boulders or something that would F up your car pretty bad if you accidentally slid into one. Part of me would love to play around on a frozen lake one day, but the other part is scared I'd crack the ice and my car would fall in.

turmic 12-08-2009 01:21 PM

LOL manshow.

On another note. Just don't let AWD make you over confident. If your tires have crappy tread depth or just a crappy tread design. Then you're taking chances, AWD can't fix stupid. Other wise enjoy the snow. My blizzaks are waiting for some white powder to hit the pavement and stick. This saturday's snow melted as it hit the pavement.

airplnmdls 12-08-2009 01:39 PM

Haha yeah I can't wait to see how this car handles in the winter...whether it be on the road or in a parking lot ;) The only snow I've seen so far was a light covering going to work yesterday, but its all gone now without anymore in sight :-(

mfarnham 12-08-2009 03:00 PM

Last weekend I realized that awd drifting is going to take some getting used to. It's completely different from the rwd snow drifts in my old Mustang.

RcrsWetDream 12-08-2009 03:04 PM

We got a solid 6" last night so I'm enjoying it... On a side note my uncle's buddy had an 04 or 05 STi and was messing around in some deep snow in a parking lot and hit a hidden curb divider thing sideways... Bent both right side wheels under the car. Moral of the story always make sure there is nothing under the snow.

04paulieWRX 12-08-2009 04:16 PM

yea and make sure you dont get cocky with re92s.. is till have them, and they are absolute shit....especially in the snow. i was sliding all over the place, i might as well had been driving a motorcycle, and i was only going 25 mph!

boostspike 12-08-2009 04:42 PM

i've driven on a frozen lake. lake george to be exact, they have ice racing every feb if the ice is thick enough LOTS of fun. in fact there was an audi r8 on the ice last year. search youtube for "r8 ice racing" they did a whole segment on it driving on the ice and roads near my house very cool

booosted09 12-08-2009 04:45 PM

I cant wait to do my first AWD snow donuts....its gonna be the jam. Sadly i will be driving my wifes 08 Xterra and not my suby because i cant afford snow wheels/tires right now... :(

newtothegame 12-08-2009 05:30 PM

John, you just need practice to do them around the light post, lol. I will admit I was dumb enough to try and last year in WA, and lucky enough to not screw anything up.

Brad, nothing wrong with using the stock rims and tires. Just be careful, and be sure to clean the car, thats all. I have done the donuts in the stock rims/tires, The Rotas, and just waiting to do it with my Enkeis.

nagyhead 12-08-2009 08:46 PM

[quote=turmic;236385]AWD can't fix stupid.[/quote]
LOL...That sir is the quote of the day.

booosted09 12-08-2009 09:20 PM

[quote=nagyhead;236448]LOL...That sir is the quote of the day.[/quote]

LMAO...ROFL