Keep my 07STI Ltd or buy 11WRX Ltd - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 03-08-2011, 07:53 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondafan View Post
I know you've had your little issues with it, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it unreliable. Every car can have problems, including cars still under warranty. The lower payment would be worth keeping the STi to me, and coming from someone who's had a WRX and STi, you can't mod the WRX quite enough to feel like you think it should. Maybe that's just psychological, but my first WRX had coilovers and KYB struts, and felt more harsh than planted, IMO. My 2nd WRX I installed STi Pink springs, and the sways off of an '09 WRX and it still didn't do the trick I wanted it to either. Brakes and transmission are the biggest deciding factors in why I pulled the trigger on my STi.

I can't tell you how many drive-thrus I pulled up and had the person giving me food ask if it was an STi (in the WRX's) and I'd shamefully respond that it was "just" a WRX. Granted, I didn't have the WRX to impress anyone else, nor did I get the STi for that reason, but I always felt like I should have just gotten the better one to begin with. You just have to ask yourself if you can handle that. At least in my area the STi also holds its value better than a WRX.
Im sorry but I hate hearing this. I know that you dont mean anything by it Brad, but its annoying. I love my SUBARU, to me I drive a brand, not a car. I look at the whole picture (or have started to at least). To me people ask abuot the STI cause they dont know about cars, or the manufacturer also. Idk, just have heard it so many times from other owners, I mean it could be worse you could be driving an opel, or a beat up POS. Im really sorry if I offended anyone with that rant, but it wasnt meant to be.

To the OP, if you feel that you are not happy with your car and want to try your luck at another one I say go for it. At least you are giving surbaru another chance. Just said to hear you had so much trouble with your car. I knew 2 guys in WA both with CGM 07 STI limiteds. One heavily modified, the other a stage 2, and neither have any issues since they day they bought theirs new. Good luck with your decision.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

efinit is an unknown
Thanks, newtothegame. I thought buying the car with only one owner (a doctor) was a good decision, but guess not. May not have been his fault. Maybe I just got the runt of the litter (020/800). Someone's advice was pull the trigger and don't look back... I think that's what I'll do. Wish I was wealthy enough to keep the STI and buy the WRX, but oh well.
#18 Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Beyond timing belt and major maintenance work.(IE. fluid changes, spark plugs changed, and keeping a eye open for anything drivetrain related) The car should last you a long while though. It is at stock levels and it can last a long time provided its maintained. There is no magic number that your car will die or the resale will fall through the floor. Hell, my STI can still fetch almost $20,000 and it has 76k miles on it. The resale on these cars are awesome and will stay high because STIs are a lot harder to find then WRXs. The same EJ25 short blocks are still being used today as 04 and I've heard minor differences in the 6 speed through the years. But, if you had enough interest you can keep patching it back together for a long time.

I understand that you had a rough go with it and if its a mental issue that you need to get rid of it. That way you'll feel relieved and know you got a fresh car under you. Then do it, otherwise I don't plan on getting rid of my STI until it can't be salvaged from the grave any more. Unless Subaru makes some rediculous changes in the powerplant, then its a car that will stick with me.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae

Last edited by turmic; 03-10-2011 at 08:33 PM.
#19 Old 03-10-2011, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

efinit is an unknown
Well, guys, I'm gonna run this STI into the ground. I'm keeping it after all. I keep looking at it and think, damn that car is niiiice and a lot of people would kill to have it, so I'm gonna put some faith into it that nothing major will go wrong and keep on keepin on. Plus, I'd rather keep the money I'd use for a down payment for other things. And last but not least, I just found out today that wifey and I our having bebe #2, so no big purchases right now.
#20 Old 03-10-2011, 08:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Cool man Just keep it up on maintenance.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#21 Old 03-10-2011, 09:06 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I hope that things start looking up for you. I know it can be difficult. And congrats on the new addition.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#22 Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Fix the crap the previous owner did to it and it'll hold together for you. It's an exceptional car, but all cars have their problems. Especially when they're not taken care of.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#23 Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by efinit View Post
Well, guys, I'm gonna run this STI into the ground. I just found out today that wifey and I our having bebe #2
Congratulations on both, but mostly the latter
#24 Old 03-11-2011, 02:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

efinit is an unknown
Thanks guys! Y'all really know how to make a guy feel welcomed. I appreciate the candor without the internet sarcasm that you tend to get from other forums.
#25 Old 03-11-2011, 05:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I can give sarcasm...

The car will do you fine. Congrats on the bebe kid.

BTW... If you have free time on Thurs PM's... Guys meet up at random places for meets. PM me for details.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3