Just the beginning - Page 9 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#121 Old 10-28-2010, 11:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
That's actually my favorite body/lip kit for these cars. I think if you were to combine a carbon fiber STi V-Limited front lip with the carbon fiber Chargespeed Bottom Line side and rear lips (or even the polyurethane versions, unpainted or painted black) on your silver WRX, that would look great. I'm not terribly crazy about the Chargespeed Bottom Line front lip... it does go with the rest of the kit and it complements the lines of the car rather well, but I still don't like the way the front center part bends in or the way the sides flare up. I think the front end of the hawkeyes have enough stuff going on visually, but the sides and especially the rear could use a bit of flare which is exactly what that kit provides.

...your car could look similar to this pic (stolen from NASIOC which was stolen from IWSTI):
Attached Images

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 10-28-2010, 12:00 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
John thanks for that pic and your insite into it. The only reason I put that lip up, its the one the wife liked the most out of them all. Im still not sure about the lip, but I am pretty much sold on the side and rear pieces. Just have to see whats going on in the next 6-9 months (4 of them still in Iraq, then hopefully moving to VA to be an instructor).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#123 Old 12-05-2010, 11:39 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the kit (in carbon fiber). Just another reason to look forward to coming home.

Sorry thats the only pic I have of it. The wife said she was "afraid" to take it out of the plastic. Still not sure exactly when I will be home, but we get a 72 hour pass right after we hit state side, so I know what my first project will be. Stay tuned for pics (+/- 4 months from now, lol).
Attached Images

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#124 Old 12-05-2010, 08:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
<-- Jealous. I'll trade you my red mud flaps for that kit, straight up. Pretty please?

John
#125 Old 12-05-2010, 09:58 PM

John Im still wondering if mudflaps will work with the lip(s) because Im still debating on them also. But Im pretty excited that I got it, and at a great deal also.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#126 Old 12-06-2010, 09:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It should be awesome looking.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#127 Old 12-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Thats what Im hoping for. Im just now considering something for the rear. Not really wanting to put a spoiler on it, but feel it needs something. Maybe the window spoiler. Might start looking for that also.

**Well after searching around awhile, the only place the window vane could be found was subaru genuine parts, and I really dont feel like paying what they want for it. And the more I read about installing it, kind of made me not want to drill into my car anytime soon. Guess I will get the lip kit on and see what develops from there.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"

Last edited by newtothegame; 12-06-2010 at 12:34 PM.
#128 Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

I think all you need now is a small carbon fiber accent or two to tie the rear end together with the rest of the kit... something subtle like this window spoiler and possibly a carbon fiber mine's spoiler/exhaust guard/license plate surround/small diffuser would probably look great. I think you should try to keep most of the attention focused on the Chargespeed lip kit since that's going to be the shining star of your low-key setup, visually. Personally, I don't think a standard STi drill-in upper spoiler is the best route to take here... nor are mud flaps combined with that kit. I think those would over do it.
Attached Images

John
#129 Old 12-07-2010, 11:49 AM

John thanks for the insight. I think like I said before that I will install the kit and see where I need to go from there. And of course I will eventually post pics of it when I get back home and install it, so then everyeone can add there opinion.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#130 Old 02-18-2011, 08:34 AM

Alrite, well I made it back to the states on sunday (3am). Was a great feeling to the the wife and kids waiting there for me. They were very excited as it seemed to be a long 12 months for us all. Anyways we got a 72 hour pass after we got home. We drove to a famil ymembers house in Peoria IL on monday to visit and get ready to pick up my car (its a 3hr drive to Chicago from Peoria). We get ahold of Matt and he cant be there until 5Pm, thats kind of lame, but I want my car. So tuesday we get up to the shop and I look over my car, finished, but filthy. Matt and I test drive it, but unfortunately only on the local streets of Chicago where I was only able to get it into 4th gear. I think its all good and pay Matt and roll out. Well I make it to the interstate and go to throw the car into 5th, well guess what...NO 5th gear, lol. I quickly call Matt back and he says to bring the car back immediately. So we do, he confirms the issue, and we get the transmission guy back in the shop. 5 hours later (from start to finish) we have the car running top notch again.

I will update my profile with parts shortly. I will also post up pics of the gauges, my parts review, and pics once I get the ChargeSpeed kit put on sometime this weekend hopefully.

As of now the car only has about 760 miles on the tranny and clutch. It was a tad tricky learning the clutch at first. But for the most part being easy on it for another few hundred miles, only running 12 PSI on the car atm.

Stay tuned, will hopefully have some better reviews and pics up shortly.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#131 Old 02-19-2011, 12:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Herknav is more helpful than not
Welcome home bro, enjoy the car... and wife... and fast food, alcohol, TV, internet, hot water, etc...

Brandon
02 WRX Cobb Stage 2 now SOLD to my father who sold it to my Brother. Have fun Al!
#132 Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 AM

Thanks Brandon, I have been trying to enjoy them to their fullest, lol.

Alrite well I took a drive up to Topeka and back yesterday, so Im finally at just over 1100 miles on the clutch. Heres a little about most the parts installed:

PPGs (1-4 helical w/06 WRX 5th and reverse synchro'd). It of course has the infamous gear whine, which isnt as annoying as I thought (at least not yet). These gears coupled with the tranny mounts (Im sure and possible the engine mounts) make shifting the car very tight and notchy. If most of you remember the first few days after installing your short shifter and bushings, its like that but better honestly.

Clutchmaster Stage 3 clutch, ACT Prolite flywheel (13.9 lbs). The pedal feel on the new clutch is really not much stiffer than stock, just slightly noticable. However Im learning that its pretty much all or nothing when pulling out, there isnt much feathering to be done with it. The flywheel is also very noticable as the car is very much more rev happy. Off the accelerator pedal, it doesnt seem to drop as fast as I thought or as bad as some have made it out to be. Downshifting with the new transmission, clutch, flywheel (and possibly having the whole rear end tightened up) can be an eye opening experience, as the car while shudder pretty hard depending on RPMs and/or speed. With the engine, tranny, and rear end mounts highway driving is slightly louder, with minimal vibrations felt on a good road. Around town at low RPM driving and/or crappy roads the vibrations and noise are much worse, but still tolerable to me.

MFactory front LSD. I havent really gotten to push the car much (still only running 12PSI) but the front does seem to put hte power down better, especially on the inside wheel during a sharper/harder turn. Noise wise there is no noticable difference between it and stock.

The brake setup (DBA 4000 rotors f/r, Stoptech lines, Hawk pads) Im a little upset that I have the Hawk pads, but the shop recieved Feredo pads for 02-05 (despite them ordering them for my 07). So they put hawks on that they had in the shop. The car has more bite to it, and seems to brake harder and slightly quicker. Again I havent been able to test the fade, but the pedal feel under normal conditions is much firmer than stock.

ATI Center gauge pod, AEM (analog) Oil Pressure, EGT, Zeitronix O/2 gauge w/bosch sensor. The pods itself is not near as high as I thought it would be. Its not in the way, or an eye sore to me at all. If/when I want to look at the gauges they are there, other than that they dont draw my attention or distract me while driving. The analog to me look better as they go with the rest of the gagues in the car, I dont have differetn numbers flashing at me constantly (just my boost and wideband are digital).

Im still workign on getting pics up. Im still working on ordering sway bars (leanign towards Hotchkis at the moment). I also didnt get the chance to get my floor jack and stands, so the lip kit project is on hold for now.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#133 Old 02-19-2011, 11:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I thought you were building up the engine as well?

Did you go with STD ratio on the gears or did you get those andrewtech special ratios? I know the guys in chicago did all the work but I think you can still order those special ratios and have them installed. Just curious.

Either way those ppg helical gears are still noisier than stock, but if you've ever ridden in a car with straight gears ppg helical gears are silent. I kind of like it, but I don't think I'd want a dd to have straight cuts.

Sounds like it's all coming together. If you had the engine built it's time to turn up that 20g and see what it can do.

-Chris
#134 Old 02-19-2011, 02:51 PM

I was wanting to do the engine, but with a family and all I had to show some self restraint and the whole engine thing went on hold. Not sure if will ever come to be, unless of course mine eventually goes.

As far as the ratio, its stock ratio from 1-5, just 1-4 are the PPG type, and 5th and reverse is out of an 06 WRX now instead of my stock 07 ones.

I have heard, ridden and seen the difference between straight and helical cut. To me the straight are way over kill unless you are trying to destroy the transmission on a daily basis. Here when the weather gets nicer and the rest of the boys are back from the sandbox, we plan on taking a trip to the strip in Topeka to see what all are new toys will do in the 1/4 mile.

As far as future plans go. Its pretty much all going to be done for once the sways go on. Maybe some small things as far as interior or exterior go. I will just make the best out of what I have.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#135 Old 02-19-2011, 06:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I bet you can run mid to high 11's if you push the 20g. Are you getting it retuned now that you're not worried about the trans going kaboom?

If your numbers are true right now I'd say it'd be a low low 12 second car, maybe a very high 11 pass.

-Chris