Interesting read for most - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Interesting read for most

So I've been looking at messing around with my car (building a block) and CP-e has started to do it (see link)

They put "stages" on the blocks and was looking for opinions (biased or not) I can take sarcasm pretty well. What gets me is the core charges (on top of the added tidbits they offer) ie... Studs and gaskets. Here I was thinking they would included these in the already outrageous prices they are asking.

Anywho... Follow the link and click on each stage for details.... Follow the page down and read on. Let me know what you think. FWIW CP-e is a great name and make awesome products.

MZRevolved? is Here! | Custom Performance Engineering

Cheers!!

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2011, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Ah just build it yourself. You could put new pistons and rods in that thing without even having to pull the engine. I love standard engines that actually allow you to access the crank from the bottom, that's one of my few gripes about the EJ's. That and terrible cylinder bracing.

-Chris
#3 Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
hey i just got a box from cP-e but it wasnt anything interesting

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#4 Old 04-28-2011, 01:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^ Rear motor mount or dog bone I hope ?

I know what you mean about doing it myself... You see the core charge for MY block ?

Problem I have is that this block is still kicking hard... And I can't afford much time down.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#5 Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah 3k just for a core charge is insane. Granted you get it back, there's no way a core engine is work 3 grand out of my account for a few weeks.

-Chris
#6 Old 04-28-2011, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Just me ECU back after the total control reflash and the Standback II w/ WOT box

but Paul instead of building the 3 you should switch to a speed6 or a WRX all that power through FWD can't be any fun when your spinning your tyres all day long

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#7 Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
^Agreed, you need some AWD. A Speed6 is a step in the right direction, but even then its mostly fwd. Still better than the MSP3. Might as well rock a SRT-4, which will wheel hop and spin the front in the first two gears at higher hp numbers. My friend had one and hated it after he upgraded it.

But, if you are going to keep it. What are you looking to get out of the car power wise? Just trying to figure out why you think need a new block.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 04-29-2011, 05:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

The speed 6 has it's own problems.... Several restrictions on that car prevent it from the "get up and go" that the 3 has. Don't get me wrong, I miss my STi, I just put too much trust in the AWD system and it screwed me.... The tranny on my WRX took a dump. Those put a taste in my mouth that I can't explain.

I got some really good #'s out of my speed so far without the upgraded fuel pump and downpipe (better than most speed3's WITH the pump and DP). I have stopped the wheel hop with mounts and some of my personal fabrication.

The weak link in this car is the rods (same as the speed6) which is what the CP-e blocks better. I have NO lag and that's what kills the rods.

And thanks Kirt, but no thanks... It's STILL a neon.... And a dodge to boot !Notfunny!

Back in the beginning of March we went on the statewide meet here in SA and had a TON of fun on the twisties (about 40 miles worth of em). FWD just suits my driving style better.

For what I paid for it and the mileage, insurance, etc.... It comes REAL close to the subies.

So all in all, I want to get the rods done... While I was in there.... all the other goodies... Then this came up. Weighing options is what I was doing. And the tranny in this thing is a beast.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 04-29-2011, 10:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Oh, I hate the SRT-4 and I think they are wheel hopping piles of junk. So, that was a bit of sarcasam. Well, paul you might've fixed some of it. But, I doubt you can fix the torque steer. Unless you custom fabied some super struts. Even if the early rally cars were FWD, it doesn't mean its the best set-up.

Kirt
#10 Old 04-30-2011, 12:39 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I can see a 250fwhp car, but 400fwhp or whatever you'd get from one of those "stage 3" blocks is pointless. You can't turn the wheel with that kind of power and expect any kind of traction.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#11 Old 04-30-2011, 07:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

I have 300 to the wheels and it grips and feels fine in turns... The LSD makes a difference. Torque steer will never go away (save a SOFT set of hoosiers sitting in my garage) or a set of star-specs.

Buddy of mine had a 500hp neon and it was horrible...$600 for custom traction bars and it barely did anything. I would have never expeced to buy another fwd car... But it's holding it's own.. Maybe I'll just do what Chris was saying and just get it done myself.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#12 Old 04-30-2011, 08:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

I've driven a stock chassis/suspension 300whp MS3 and was horrible but after a little tweaking and some sways it was actually a pretty fun car to drive I mean if FWD is your thing, not mine though I need the AWD (even though the 6 is 80/20 under normal conditions) once you really start beating on it it goes 50/50 and with the sways it really feels like a WRX/STi handling wise. And as for the cP-e blocks honestly with how much you spend to build your own block with MZR cars the cP-e isn't a terrible deal for these cars.

Ohh and Paul the TotalControl flash combined with a tune and DP fixes all of those get up and go problems

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#13 Old 04-30-2011, 04:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Super-struts explained below. Ford and GM are trying to solve the torque steer problem.

Read this for more: Ford RevoKnuckle and GM HiPer Strut Explained - Tech. Dept. - Car and Driver

Kirt
#14 Old 05-02-2011, 05:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Read that a while back... Good stuff though.

Matt, glad it's coming together.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#15 Old 05-02-2011, 06:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

I'm pretty much done until this turbo is gone, haha I can't afford to give into myself this time around, I just needed the ability to tune the car myself, but Paul what have you done to yours to be pushing 300 w/o the DP and HPFP?

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt