Intelligence conversations. - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 12-21-2011, 12:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
How's come we have no imagination and all aliens look like people?!

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 12-21-2011, 12:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
How's come we have no imagination and all aliens look like people?!
Because thats how hollywood portrayed it to the public. We acquired that idea because they implanted it that way. Aliens could be orbs or anything really haha. Open for anything
#48 Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1456 is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vew View Post
I don't know. I have my doubts about what I see in that photo. Sand People always ride single file to hide their strength and numbers. And these blast points... too accurate for Sand People. Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise.
HAHAHAHAHA.. Are we going to have to start a Star Wars thread??

06 STI
http://www.armslist.com/?utm_source=c000017&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p017903
#49 Old 12-21-2011, 08:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vew View Post
I don't know. I have my doubts about what I see in that photo. Sand People always ride single file to hide their strength and numbers. And these blast points... too accurate for Sand People. Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx1456 View Post
HAHAHAHAHA.. Are we going to have to start a Star Wars thread??
I don't know...but this thread is getting as funny as it is serious.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#50 Old 12-21-2011, 09:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Anti matter... I love this guy.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#51 Old 12-22-2011, 12:41 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Wow, didn't expect this thread on a WRX forum! As an engineer and a complete nerd, I was salivating reading through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse
Most people don't realize that the stars you see in the sky are where they were many 100's of thousands of years ago.
One thing I like to remind people when they get overwhelmed on the scale of the universe is that what we can see is pretty much all nearby stars. Distant stars are fairly dim and most of the other stars in our galaxy form the milkey way band we see across the night sky. Even the closest galaxy is little more than a smudge without some magnification. You really have to know where to look to make it out at all. There are a couple of clusters and other objects we can see with a little telescope, but otherwise what you're looking at is our closest neighbors. Stars not just from our galaxy but from the nearby area. Basically in the 4 to ~1000 lightyear range. Betelgeuse, a super bright star mentioned in that video, is about 600 lightyears from us and is far from the brightest star we see due to that distance. More average stars even that far away aren't visible. Most of the stars we identify by name and form into constellations are hundreds of lightyears or less. A star 100,000 lightyears away no matter how big would not be visible on it's own. "Many hundreds of thousands" gets you out to the Andromeda galaxy, our closest neighbor, at 2,500,000 lightyears. We can't make out individual stars anywhere near that far away, even with hubble let alone your eyeballs So don't feel TOO overwhelmed folks. The stars you see are all pretty much the same now as they were when they emitted the light you're looking at. A thousand years is a very short amount of time in the life of a star.

Big stars like Betelgeuse are really interesting. They're very very short lived. Betelgeuse is estimated at about 10 million years old and only expected to make it another million or so. That's younger than the dinosaur bones we dig up! Our own star is mid-way through it's lifespan at about 4.6 BILLION years old. Big stars don't last long. The largest star we know of, so huge and bright it's visible with a telescope (way too dim without a good one) even though it's 5,000 lightyears away, is thought to be even closer to death with a total lifespan of maybe a million years.

There are also over 50 stars within 20 lightyears of earth, a proposed human lifetime length of travel (remember you got to speed up and slow down which takes time), and several of them have planets we've already been able to detect. Smaller earth-sized planets are likely more numerous and far closer than most people think.

Quote:
Heck look at the Mars R.O.V.E.R. project, notice how you really don't hear anything about it anymore.
We launched a new one a month ago. It's a nuclear powered 6WD 1-ton behemoth. No solar panels to get destroyed by dust, it should last a long time if it gets to the ground safely. Check it out:
Mars Science Laboratory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Yes I do think we are limited. We only use a small percentage of our total brain's ability
This is commonly said, but it's basically untrue. We use all of our brains, we just don't use it all for any one activity. Here's a good article explaining where this came from and why it's pretty much false:
http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzanic
Wow i got in this a little late but wow. Pluto is no longer a planet because it is outside the kuiper belt i believe its called.
They came up with a three-fold test for determining if something is a planet. You have to get all of the 3. Pluto failed #2
1) You have to orbit the star and be pluto sized or bigger (and less than 13x Jupiter masses too if anybody cares)
2) You have to dominate your own orbit
3) You have to be old and stable enough to make yourself round-ish

Charon, Pluto's main "moon", is not too much smaller than pluto. They are tied to each other and orbit as a binary pair more than an individual planet. Also, pluto isn't locked in on the same plane as the other 8 planets, which leads to a lot of non-planet leanings. Pluto's got only a fraction (I think it's estimated at 7%) of the mass in it's orbital lane. Mars, for example, has >99.9% of it's orbital's mass and that's the lowest percentage of the 8 planets+their moons.

Why all the fuss about pluto? Because in 2005 we found several other objects out there orbiting the sun and didn't want to call them planets. Eris is LARGER than Pluto. It's also likely that there are more "dwarf planets" out there waiting to be discovered that could also be larger still. Eris is still a small fraction of the earth's mass (0.27%) so it became clear we either had to keep adding planets for these tiny distant rocks or come up with a definition that excluded pluto.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD

Last edited by mosc; 12-22-2011 at 01:56 AM.
#52 Old 12-22-2011, 07:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Interesting read, I don't believe in psychic abilities at all. What I was getting at is that for us to function at a higher level of thinking we'd need to evolve our brains more. We haven't really had a need to evolve much because we have gotten comfortable using what we have. Granted we are smarter than a caveman was, but now we are at that stage were we have to make a huge evolutionary step up if you will to really improve our ways of thinking, if that make sense...

I knew we had build another rover to go to Mars, but I really hadn't kept up with it or the older one much either. My apologizes for stating what I did, but to be honest it's not going to really tell us anything different. We have known for years that Mars once had water and may still, had microbial life forms and may still. The terrain is littered with big holes, canyons, volcanoes and the like.

Pluto to me was kind of like the redheaded step child of the solar system. Alot of people don't know the Pluto isn't always the farthest planet from the sun either. There are 2 points in it's orbit that it crosses over Neptune's path, but I digress.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#53 Old 12-23-2011, 02:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
want to live forever???

Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, scientists found a way to increase the life of yeast from 6 days to ten weeks. That’s like us living till 932 years. Everything in nature slows down and deteriorates. But does it have to? What they did was remove 2 genes that cause the yeast to age. RAS-2 and SCH-9 were found to promote aging and damage within the cells, so they were removed.

so what’s next? mice. a much more complex organism but its genome is over 90% identical to ours. I’m not sure if they were the exact same gene names but they found 2 aging genes in the mice and removed them also. The mice doubled their life expectance. So far in humans we have found over 60 genes in the aging process.

I don’t know about you but I’m someone who would want to live as long as possible as long as I’m healthy and can do everything myself. Don’t know if you ever worked in a nursing home; no thank you!!! so it looks like it could be done. but they still need to find a way to keep us young so that year after year our bones, mind, and body dont continue to break down and get weaker and weaker.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#54 Old 12-27-2011, 01:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Who wants to live forever?

If someone has to wipe my arse, it's time to go.... Regardless if my brain is still in tact

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3