Installing/Upgrading memory. - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 02-07-2006, 05:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Kingston is fine. There are always new things coming out for PCs so waiting 6 months won't always help. AMD will be releasing a new socket configuration which should make the 939 parts drop in price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 02-08-2006, 08:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jag_Warrior is an unknown
Lots of great advice has already been offered. If your computer is running visibly slower now than it was when you first got it, yeah, you've got some junk running in the background. I'd run AdAware and Spybot and have fun cleaning the crap out first. Then go for at least a total of 512 megs of RAM.

You can backup your drive on a standalone (Walmart - about $90). They may be even cheaper now, but I paid $90 for a 120 gig drive a year or so ago. Backup your important files and as has been said here, do the old reformat/reload.

On most computers, adding RAM is about like putting Cobb AP on your WRX. But cleaning all the junk out is probably what you need too.
#18 Old 02-09-2006, 10:24 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
9d2TSi, that rig is not worth spending much money on. If I were you I'd either simply get an additional 256mb stick of DDR PC2100 (266mhz) or nothing at all. Putting a gig of ram in that thing is not a great idea. Here's a car analogy:

You have a 1990 civic DX for a computer and you're talking about swapping the tranny that's dieing on you rather than junking it
#19 Old 02-09-2006, 10:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
mosc - thanks for the insight. This is the thinking that I'm going by as well. This is why when people tell me to get a new cpu and motherboard that I'm kind of leary of that approach. This is an older unit (2001 or so) so I'm really looking to spend under $100 to get a little more performance out of it. The bonus to this is when I get into a newer pc, I will have the memory to put into the newer unit. This is my thought process on this anyways.

Love the analogy. !Laugh!

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#20 Old 02-09-2006, 01:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
i say scrap it and buy a Mac. the new iMacs are blazing fast and pretty cheap

if yo have to have a PC [peice of crap], on your next computer get AMD Anthelon 64. Windows is the most unstable OS out there IMO
But Macs are the way to go
#21 Old 02-09-2006, 01:39 PM

Garage
you could probably find an entire used computer on ebay that would be faster than your machine plus a little ram. I wouldn't spend $100 on your rig if I were you. A single 256mb stick should be like $25 or something and would "keep the thing running". Beyond that you sould junk it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820141174

here, get that and add it. Should be as noticeable improvement as you're going to get out of that rig
#22 Old 02-17-2006, 01:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well guys. I just ordered my memory. I did however manage to get the dumbass of the year award as well.

I took a picture of my son and wanted to print it out. No biggie huh, well it gets better.

Prior to that I used some optimizing software to try and clean up my HD and speed things up a little. Bad idea. I deleted the drivers and everything needed to run the printer. I tried to run the install disk that came with my printer, no such luck, computer won't recognize it, and consequently won't run it.

Soooo, I get the brilliant idea to just run a non-destructive recovery and all should be good right, wrong. Now my computer won't boot properly. Dammit, now this thing must die. !Laugh!

Try this approach one more time, computer boots up fine, but won't go into windows.

This is where the dumbass award comes in, I do a full format, without backing anything up. :eek:

Everything gone. Everything....

The good - My computer floats just like it did when I bought it.

The very, very bad - Pictures from when he was born until now, and any other picture that I had saved - Gone.

#23 Old 02-17-2006, 03:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jag_Warrior is an unknown
Damn. I feel bad for you just hearing that.

I always suggest people have a backup device of some sort. The larger ones, like what Walmart carries, are about the size of a paperback, are about $90 and are 120 gigs +/-.
#24 Old 02-18-2006, 01:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hehe, I have an Iomega zip drive.

But no SCSI card.

#25 Old 02-18-2006, 09:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
Its a Celeron processor. Thats his main reason why pages are loading up slow. I went on my friends 2.8GHz Celeron with 512mb ram and it was slower than my old 1.333 AMD with 256mb ram. Celeron is the worst processor out there I believe. I really dont think upgrading your ram will give you a noticeable difference in your programs loading faster. If you want speed, see if your motherboard can take Pentium CPU's. Celeron is wack. Upgrading you CPU is where the speed is at. And if you have some extra dough, get the same 256MB memory stick you already have and add it. 512 is plenty, unless you are doing hardcore gaming, and if you are planning to be a gamer, look to play Wolfenstien 3d with that CPU

I just now read that you already ordered the memory, etc. Man, that sucks about all your pictures and everything. Its always good to burn important stuff to disc. Or just get a USB jump drive. A small one for 20 bucks will hold a shitload of pictures.
#26 Old 02-18-2006, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

I hear ya about the Celerons being janky, I'd rather have a P4. Unfortunately, I don't have the extra coin for a new system though. I like the AMD stuff alot, an ex of mine's dad built those systems for people. His personal set up was just sickening fast. I don't remember the specs or anything, but the damn tower was almost 4 ft tall. !Laugh! :eek:

I have a guy that does computers locally that's going to hook me up with an SCSI controller out of his computer for like $25. This should allow me to run my zip drive. I can back up stuff on that. This should make reformatting my computer alot easier in the future.

Although the Celeron kind of blows. Since all of this has happened, it kind of boogies now. I'm thinking with the extra memory, I should be golden. Well, until I can get something new and sweet.

#27 Old 02-19-2006, 09:54 AM

Garage
sorry to hear about your pictures. It's a good lesson in always having a backup though. I rent a webserver so I back up important stuff like pictures on their fully redudant servers. Anyway, it's worth the extra time to protect what you got. I know that doesn't do you much good but maybe it'll save you in the future.

On the zip drive, you should know that very few use a SCSI connection. Yours might but it would be a rare drive. Most use an IDE connection like a CDROM drive.

Finally, celeron processors are not the best for sure but they do the job just fine. Your rig wasn't constructed for gaming and I'm sure it brouses the web just fine.
#28 Old 02-19-2006, 03:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
The Celeron got a bad rap from way back when they were first released. The one Stacy has is based off the Pentium 4 and is not that bad of a chip. Yeah it's low on cache but it's not as horrible as everyone is making out. The only other thing it's missing is HT whichis mostly crap anyway.
#29 Old 02-19-2006, 04:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
I love HT. My computer now is a 3.0ghz P4 with HyperThreading. I havent had a single computer lockup or anything. Ive pushed the computer as hard as I can and it never shows any sign of slowing down.

92dTsi, you're processor should run fairly quick as long as you dont have a bunch of background programs running. A program I highly recommend is Security Task Manager. Its a tiny program that is similar to what you get when you push CTRL+ALT+DEL. Except STM explains to you what all the programs are, what they are doing, how much memory they are currently using, how high of a risk they are (for spyware, etc). It also has an option where you can click on anything thats running and put it in Quarintine, while in Quarintine, it will not run at startup. It will only run if you run the program. You'd be surprised how many background programs are running on your computer that you dont know about.

If you are interested in it, heres the link: http://download.com.com/3000-2086-10...age&tag=button
I highly recommend it. Its just a trial version, but, even after the trial expires, the program still runs.
#30 Old 02-19-2006, 08:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

I have a program called Wintasks that seems similar to what's in your link. I run that with a optimizer. The optimizer is ok, it was free, so I don't really care as long as I don't screw something up, again. !Laugh!

Thanks for all of the input guys, I'm going to pick up a card to run my zip drive tomorrow. I'll back everything up with that and then I should be ok for when anything happens again.