Installing/Upgrading memory. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-23-2006, 12:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Installing/Upgrading memory.

Hey all, there are alot of pretty smart computer guys on here. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. Is there anything special about installing more memory? Do I need more memory? I have an HP Pavillion with this for system info. Let me know if there's any other info needed.

MS WIN XP SP2
Intel Celeron CPU 1.80 GHz
256MB RAM

The problem is that pages load slowly on the computers end of things. I have cable internet, so I don't think that's the problem.

Also, I have Zone Alarm's Security Suite, I know that this is a resource hog, but I've paid for it for the next year. I'm not hip on getting anything else for now.

Thanks for any help.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2006, 12:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

dlh1999 is an unknown
256mb of memory is typically the least amount of memory to use with XP & other larger programs. If you decide to increase memory, make sure to match it with your existing memory (size, type, etc).
#3 Old 01-23-2006, 12:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

I guess I'm confused by that. What do you mean match it to? Match it to what?

#4 Old 01-23-2006, 12:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
He's saying, find out what type of memory you have (either by detail info on the computer via your documentation, HP's website, or opening it up and pulling 1 out to see what it is.. )..

More likely, the problem is that there is just too much junk loaded and running on your system. I've seen machines wiht 512MB of RAM bog down just because of everything that's loaded. My backup system is only a 1.4 mhz with 256mb RAM (XP Pro), and it flies on the internet no problem, and I use it quite often, it's actually where I do most of my work from. I only "demoted" it because it wasn't quite fast enough to do the newer games I like to play, plus I really need a 2nd machine to do work on.

Most systems (especially those from HP, Dell, etc), at bootup, are already using 150mb+ of memory. If mine uses over 100mb, I'm on the hunt to find out what's getting loaded, I like a clean running system.

Back to matching the memory. It's probably DDR, try to match the speed (not sure if it's really necessary with DDR, but always a good idea to match speed). Hopefully the memory stick will have a sticker on it that says PC2700 or something similar. Also, take into consideration if you have any memory slots open. If you only have 2 slots being used (2 x 128mb), and you get a 256mb, you have to replace one of the existing pieces, so you only increased by 128mb (128mb stick, and 256mb stick, having to remove one of the existing 128mb sticks). If you have an open slot, then that's cool, just put the new one in the open slot.
#5 Old 01-23-2006, 02:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ok, I'm kind of understanding what you're saying now. Just 2 more questions.

1. Is it just plug and play? Do I have to do anything other than just plug in the new memory?
2. What if I just put in 2 256mb sticks? Do I have to have a 128 and a 256? This must be where you guys are saying matching them, right?

And as for a clean running system, what should I be looking for as far as junk programs?

Thanks for all of the help guys, I appreciate it.

#6 Old 01-23-2006, 02:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Unless you want to use duel channel (your bord more then likely does not suport this, so don’t worry) or if you have RAMBUS memory (the ram modules will say RAMBUS on them, and they are usually covered with a metal shroud) you DO NOT need to install them in pairs. You can have 1 128 and 1 1 gig dimm if you want. The only thing that needs to be the same is the speed. If its and older system then its probably pc-100 or pc-133. if its more recent its probably pc-2600 or pc-3200. it is usually marked on the dimm. Just open the side of the system, touch some metal to discharge yourself of any static electricity and then remove it. There are two tabs, one on the top and one on the bottom that you need to unlatch from the dimm by pushing it towards the board. For people who want to use everything the web has to offer, like streaming video, I wouldn’t suggest any less then 512mb. I play high end video games, so I run 3gb.

The background apps is probably whats causing your slow internet, and slow overall system performance. Go to download.com and get Spybot seach and destroy and Adaware. They are both free. Download all the updates, and do full system scans. Remove what ever it finds. You can also get security task manager from download.com, it will give every process running on your system a warning rating between 1 and 100, so you can see if you have any malicious crap running in the background. Keeping your anti virus program up to date is also key.
#7 Old 01-23-2006, 06:57 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Stacy, just get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145526

That is some decent RAM, 1 GB total and pretty cheap. It is plug and play and is an easy install. Just my .02 though.
#8 Old 01-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
You best bet to improve performance is to do a format if you haven't done one in the past year. I do one every 6 months. Basically, back up EVERYTHING. Then wipe the hard drive clean, and reinstall everything.

However, here's a few notes about RAM. RAM, like a metal chain, is only as strong (or as fast in this case) as the slowest module. If your board can support it, and you have a 2100 and a 2600 in the slots, your overall memory will only operate at 2100.

Note two. Learned this and proved it in my computer engineer 310 class. Memory (RAM) is the greatest and most cost effect improvement you can do to your computer when it comes to speeding things up. I have some numbers in my notebook if anyone is interested.

Memory usually has 2 banks, but 3 or 4 slots. Usually, they're seperated by a gap also. (2x2 or 2x1) When you have two sticks, you want one stick in each BANK, not side by side. The reason is, it will be faster since it has two seperate pathways to travel rather than sharing just one. If you have trouble understanding this, just say so and I'll try harder to explain it better.

Memory also like to work with its "twin." This is more of a case when you're building a computer or replacing all the RAM. If you have more than one stick, it's better to have both the same size and speed. But like I said, not a big deal if they aren't. Just easier to plan ahead that way with a new PC for fine tuning.

Brand and quality matters. Cheap RAM can be noutorious for random restarts, crashes, and freezes, and games not wanting to work properly. No RAM is perfect either. Anyways, Don't believe me? Run a RAM tester on a cheap black friday RAM against something like Corsair or Crucial.

And those metal shrouds are heat spreaders. You'll usually see them on the faster rated and higher end brand names (not always the case).

I think I covered the bases of it. Oh ya, plug n play. If you get 3 single beeps when your computer restarts, that's a RAM error. I have only gotten that ONCE in my life and that was in my A+ class where we were trying to get it to do that. It's the easiest thing you can upgrade in a PC.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#9 Old 01-23-2006, 11:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9d2TSi
Ok, I'm kind of understanding what you're saying now. Just 2 more questions.

1. Is it just plug and play? Do I have to do anything other than just plug in the new memory?
2. What if I just put in 2 256mb sticks? Do I have to have a 128 and a 256? This must be where you guys are saying matching them, right?

And as for a clean running system, what should I be looking for as far as junk programs?

Thanks for all of the help guys, I appreciate it.
First there's a lot of good info here already but it seems kind of jumbled.

For what you are doing with the PC I'd just bump to 512MB. If you do lots of gaming I'd go to at least 1GB. I don't recall the Celeron supporting Dual Channel memory so don't worry about mtching chips. The Celeron also never supported Rambus (pricey but fast RAM) I also don't think the Celeron you have supports the DDR2 UCLA linked up for you. I'm pretty sure it took DDR only. Just get the correct size and speed for your brand and model. Crucial.com has a good listing for this purpose.

Also installation is a snap. There is a clip on each end. Open them up and slide the RAM in (it has a couple slots so it only goes 1 way)the side clips will snap up into position. That's all there is to it. Be sure to groud yourself on the chassisframe before you handle th components.

You should do some clean-up/tweaking of your computer. First get Ad-Aware and run it on your system http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-...ml?tag=lst-0-2 This finds adware and deletes it from your system and it's free. They can hog up system RAM as well as farm your info and send it out.

Set the virtual memory on your PC to a static size go to Control Panel...System...Advanced tab...click Settings under Performance....Advanced tab again...under virtual memory click change in the two boxes enter 1.5 times you physical memory (how much RAM your system has for 512 this would be 512+256 = 768) the low and high are now the same. This keeps Windows from adjusting the size based on need. Then click apply and ok until it forces you to reboot.

Do regular defrags of the hard drive. I do a disk cleanup before the defrag to make it run a little faster.

this should cover most novice users. When that Zone Alarm expires get yourself a nice firewall router. They're only ~$40 and then you don't need to run the extra software.
#10 Old 02-05-2006, 05:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hey guys, I opened up my computer and looked at the stick that was in there, this was the info that I got. Oh yeah, I have two DDR slots.

266mhz
pc-2100

I did some research on Crucial's website and it says that I need a 184 pin stick and I shouldn't exceed 1024mb (1gig) of memory.

Soooo, with that being said, I'm going to get 2 512mb sticks and be done with it. They're $64 a piece. That and I'll probably get a router from ebay.

Does that mean that i can get rid of my AV software and just run a firewall?

Last edited by 9d2TSi; 02-05-2006 at 10:58 PM.
#11 Old 02-06-2006, 07:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

No the Router will replace your firewall software. Technically you should still have a/v software. I do not run any but I am confident on the dos and don'ts of downloading files etc. If you are not tech minded/advanced user I'd keep the a/v software to be safe.
#12 Old 02-06-2006, 02:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

eighth08 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to eighth08
dude on a celeron 1.8 you dont need more than 512...1gb is way overkill... thats like putting a 5" exhaust on a honda civic

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
#13 Old 02-06-2006, 10:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighth08
dude on a celeron 1.8 you dont need more than 512...1gb is way overkill... thats like putting a 5" exhaust on a honda civic
Man he's using Winblows. The more memory the better. 1GB will keep you good for a while. I'm sure this Motherboard can take a faster CPU as well. Maybe even a 400MHz bus Pentium 4.
#14 Old 02-06-2006, 11:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

eighth08 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to eighth08
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtarbaj
Man he's using Winblows. The more memory the better. 1GB will keep you good for a while. I'm sure this Motherboard can take a faster CPU as well. Maybe even a 400MHz bus Pentium 4.

doesnt matter windows xp will only use up to 1gb efficiently. after that its random. and doesnt do with it the way it should.

and an upgrade to a p4 would be nice haha.

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
#15 Old 02-07-2006, 10:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well, I found what I'm going with. 2 of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820144001

I was talking to a local computer shop and they told me this company was good. I'm really wanting to get a new computer, but was told to hold off for like 6 mos. I guess a bunch of new products are about to hit the market that are very nice.

I priced out memory from them and they want $100/stick. I said "thanks, I'll get back to you on that". !Laugh!

Last edited by 9d2TSi; 02-07-2006 at 09:25 PM.