I need a job!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-04-2003, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

SloRice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to SloRice
I need a job!!

Hey guys,
Here's my problem. I'm graduating from college in december with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering. As most of you know, the job market is horrible right now. So I'm having no luck finding a job at this point.

Here is the question I pose to the group. Is there anyone out there that knows if their company is hiring a mechanical engineer that could possibly help me out with a HR contact at your company? Or are there any HR's our there that know if their company is hiring a ME? I know there are some Michigan people on this forum...maybe you guys work for the Big 3 or a Tier 1 company. I'm currently going to school in Toledo, OH and I'm from Cincinnati, OH. So I'm looking for a job somewhere in the Midwest probably.

thanks in advance,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-23-2003, 10:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

red03wrx is an unknown
Tim,
I am currently working as a mechanical design engineer with Barry Grant,inc. My question to you is are you familiar with any solid modeling cad software? Most companies these days worth working for will almost surely want prospective caidate's to be somewhat proficient insolid modeling. Note that i do not mean crap like "auto-cad", but real 3-d like solid works, or pro-e.Before i got my job at B.G., I had posted my resume on Monster.com. Because i had cad skills, honest to god I had calls coming within less than 24 hours. I was able to name my salary( with the help of the head hunter), and started work in 30 days.Since then I have traveled all around the U.S., and last year I spent 42 days in Hong Kong and the P.R.C. I strongly urge you to learn to "draw" if you do not know how. If you like, p.m. me on icq, and i can get you some software for you to try. As far as the job situation, if automotive is your goal, contact Elan Composites. in Georgia. They have indy-car and formula mazda chassis'stacked to the celing. They are always looking for bright young minds. Good luck in your job quest.
red03wrx

"racing is life..... The rest is just waitng" Steve McQueen-"LeMans"
post #3 of 7 Old 11-23-2003, 10:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

red03wrx is an unknown
By the way, i have learned that Chrysler is building a new plant somewhere on the east coast, Maine or some place-I will try to find out more.......

post #4 of 7 Old 11-23-2003, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

SloRice is an unknown
I'm alright at Auto-CAD....should learn it a little better.
Learned to use SolidWorks myself....again, probably would know more if it was taught to me.
Pro-E, Catia, Etc.....no clue how to use. A buddy of mine has Pro-E, so I'm think I'm gonna get it off of him and learn to use it.

I'm really not a big fan of design engineering.....sitting in front of a computer screen making drawings is not my idea of engineering. I'm more of a hands on type of guy. I'm more interested in R&D stuff. But if doing design stuff is gonna get my foot in the door, then I better suck it up and do it.

Tim
post #5 of 7 Old 11-23-2003, 03:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

red03wrx is an unknown
i am glad to hear that you have cad skills, and by all means, refine your skills. as far as sitting in front of a computer all day, that is not what i do at all.after a fuel pump, regulator or carb is designed, you must then source the outside vendors, die casters for instance, which usually means travel. after the first prototypes are built, you spend alot of time doing "r&d". i built a custom flow bench for testing pumps.then you road test your design. B.G. has several vehicles for this. Atlanta dragway is only 40 minutes away.There is so much more than just sittin in front of a screen!

post #6 of 7 Old 11-23-2003, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

SloRice is an unknown
I can't find a website/contact for Elan Composites. Any info?
Tim
post #7 of 7 Old 11-24-2003, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

red03wrx is an unknown
http://www.elanmotorsports.com/ this is part of the Panoz group.If you need a contact, I can give you a name and # of a indirect person(he runs the motorsports curriculm at a local tech school) If he cannot get you an interview, no one can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement