Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   The Hangout (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Hurricane Sandy. (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/hurricane-sandy-33213/)

AllExtinct 10-30-2012 08:31 AM

Hurricane Sandy.

Hey guys I know a small group of us regulars are around the Northeast here.
Just wondering what you guys dealt with in the past hrs.
Up here we had rain on and off and wind gust from time to time.
Not to much flooding in our area and surprisingly the power has not gone out at all.
A few places enforced 9pm curfews but besides that all went somewhat better than expected.

Hope you guys made it out ok also. !Notfunny!

brfatal 10-30-2012 09:01 AM

Day 3

TRADGEDY! We ran out of almond milk for our breakfast cereal which brought about real concerns in our ability to survive the storm. Sure, hippie milk is not the same thing as real milk but I am not willing to risk Heather and my health and safety due to this oversight.

I fought my way out to the all-weather assault vehicle (1999 Solara) and ventured my way to the local grocery store where I would be prepared to fight off the angry hordes. While I brought no personal weapon with me, I was confident that I could readily use a shopping cart and a banana for appropriate self defense.

The torrential rainfall from the LEVEL 10 KILLSTORM weather was best as "almost moderate" so people were driving significanly slower than normal, even for rain. This was a wise decision since we all know that "almost moderate" KILLSTORM rain is far more dangerous than any other "almost moderate" rain.

Anyway, I safely made it out and back with no harm other than slightly damp socks due to worn out soles in the bottom of the old pair of Docksider shoes that I was wearing.

If this weather keeps up then I might just have to pay my bills.

09bluewrx 10-30-2012 10:07 AM

Live in Altoona. Got hit fairly hard. Not as bad as they thought tho. Minimal flooding. Two buildings collapsed on the other side of town from where i live. Mostly brush and leaves on the roads. Thankful i didnt lose power. I know a loy of people did in my area.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

man show 10-30-2012 10:26 AM

In Frederick, MD we experienced heavy wind and rain. It began late yesterday and extended through the night. We lost power at about 10 pm yesterday and it came back on around 6 am this morning. The wind stopped, but it's still steadily raining. After looking around outside, I noticed several large branches have snapped and are hanging down, but no major damage as far as I can see. The ground is completely soaked and there are large puddles all over the grass. I have yet to venture out of my neighborhood. Everybody in my family is safe.

pzr2874 10-30-2012 10:34 AM

Put your big girl panties on and go to work.... Can't believe Wallstreet took another day off.... lulz

That make me choke on my water a minute ago Justin....

I thought this was..... interesting:

8:29 PM EDT: “If conditions are not safe on Wednesday for Trick or Treating, I will sign an Executive Order rescheduling #Halloween,” Tweets N.J. Gov. Chris Christie.

Anybody hear from Randy, Daniel, Sandra?

Vew 10-30-2012 10:56 AM

We're pretty sheltered here in the corner of the mountains. About an inch of wet snow. A few downed branches and power lines. Some without power, but already coming back online. Oh and a bunch of accidents because college students don't know how to drive, esp in the snow.

Rest of the state, more snow (some more than a foot in the mountains) and more without of power.

My buddy in Cumberland, MD had a ton of downed trees. One tree took out 4 cars in his neighborhood. Oh, and he lost 240VAC. His 120VAC still is ok. Not sure if he fails at checking breakers or he lost a phase. He's an electrical engineer too so I'll give him some credit too. lol

The rest of you, stay safe.

brfatal 10-30-2012 11:37 AM

There are 19 people on my team at work. Both yesterday (the day of moderate winds and moderate rainfall) and today (no wind and light rain) it's only me and my boss's boss here. The traffic here was awful. I think I saw one other vehicle coming towards me in my 12 mile commute thru suburbia, but it was actually someone on a bicycle. Probably the most testing part of my commute was that 1/16" deep puddle in the road that I had slow down to cross. It was a close call, but I made it due to my superior driving skills.

Pathetic.

psinuse 10-30-2012 03:36 PM

Well here in the Mid Ohio Valley we have gotten a crap ton of cold rain, but that hasn't stopped me from doing the normal things I do. Although I had to go out and get the trash cans because the wind was blowing so hard. Also I had to unclog the drain in my pond because the leaves were blocking the water...

Although brfatal that was a touching story about the milk...Yeah one's health is important when you run out of hippie milk...lol

Bearbrick0902 10-31-2012 01:55 PM

My Car hit by a tree..hometown of Long Beach completely like the Walking Dead.
Still hard to get gas and they just restored power.
Hope Everyone safe

psinuse 10-31-2012 03:10 PM

[quote=Bearbrick0902;287396]My Car hit by a tree..hometown of Long Beach completely like the Walking Dead.
Still hard to get gas and they just restored power.
Hope Everyone safe[/quote]

Just read in Hoboken, NJ...grrrr.... 632 dogs have been abandoned...really people they rely on you to take fing care of them...They set up a website to help foster some of the dogs until the owners reclaim them or the can find them new homes...We are looking into fostering...Love my puppy dogs...

Bearbrick0902 10-31-2012 04:43 PM

damn Jersey! I just lost faith in humanity.

psinuse 10-31-2012 05:15 PM

[quote=Bearbrick0902;287402]damn Jersey! I just lost faith in humanity.[/quote]

One thing you will never hear me say is how much I like Hoboken, I hate that city with a passion that burns deep within.... It has been and always will be a dump...

BLAZE2099 10-31-2012 06:44 PM

Present!
Just rain here, power flickered and that's it.
My customers in Ny. NJ and CT can't say the same.

BoostinChick 11-01-2012 03:10 PM

Lots of rain and wind where I am. Lost power for almost 2-days. Going without cable and Internet for close to 3-days. The major roads near me were closed for emergency responder vehicles, and the back roads were flooded. @ work today, though. Few trees down, and lots of debris but everyone is ok.

AllExtinct 11-01-2012 04:11 PM

Present: Just the random annoying showers here.
I guess we kinda lucked out here in this general area, however some guys I work with still don't have power.

That's sad about the abandoned dogs, hopefully the owners are at least trying to look for them.
We have 2 cats but I'm a dog person at heart.