How much sleep? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 02-18-2004, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
How much sleep?

Thought it would just be interesting to see how many hours of sleep you guys get on any given night.
On school nights I usually get a 30 mins nap from 3:30PM to 4PM, then about 3-4hrs of sleep from 3AM to 7AM.
Fridays and Saturdays, I get like 6 hours. And Sunday is like 5.

How about you guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-18-2004, 08:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
seeing as how you ask how much sleep i get a night, i'd have to say none. but i do however i do usually try to get a minimim of 7 hours on a day that i work. i'm 19, live at home and don't really do a whole lot more than work.....
post #3 of 20 Old 02-18-2004, 09:12 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Jesus christ, I get like 8 hours a night on school nights and on weekends like 10 lol. I love sleeping in until 12.
post #4 of 20 Old 02-18-2004, 08:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

awdturbo04 is an unknown
on week days i go to bed at 12 to 1 and get up at 7 then on week ends including fridays it depends if i go to parties or not. if i stay home i get like 12 hours of sleep if i go to a party it depends on when i pass out.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-20-2004, 09:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
get up at five am, drive an hour to work, work till 530pm, drive another hour home, work on firetrucks till 8pm, get home, eat dinner, service the woman, and take care of any emails on the business, and maybe get to bed at 12....

so i guess 5hours.....at the most
post #6 of 20 Old 02-22-2004, 10:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

WrxFoLife is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WrxFoLife
School Nights: 5 1/2 Hours, I sleep at 11:00 and get up at 5:30 for school.

Weekends: 9-10 hours, Sleep around 12-1. Work on weekends though.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-23-2004, 09:05 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
11:00- 5:30 is 6 1/2 hours not 5 1/2 lol.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-23-2004, 09:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Wow most of you are way ahead of me.

I get to bed about 1-2 am M-F and get up at 7am! On the weekend I don't get up until one of kids or the dog comes and bothers me!! That's usually about 10a-12p Thumbs Up
post #9 of 20 Old 02-23-2004, 04:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

WrxFoLife is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by IBAUCLAPla
11:00- 5:30 is 6 1/2 hours not 5 1/2 lol.
My bad, didnt pay attention to it.

Mike
post #10 of 20 Old 02-23-2004, 07:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kobiyashi is more helpful than not
5-6 hours on all nights

Bed by midnight weekdays, up at 5:30-6:00...

Bed by 3 AM weekends up by 8 AM...

I resently found a document that supports my strang habit of not sleeping so decided it would be fine =P

Used to make sure and get 8-9 hours.

"LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - sleeping longer -- eight hours or more a night -- could shorten your life, according to a study of the nighttime habits of more than a million Americans released on Thursday.

Researchers from the University of California at San Diego found in a study of adults aged 30 to 102 that people who slept eight hours a night were 12 percent more likely to die within the study's six-year period compared to those sleeping seven hours. The increased risk rose to 15 percent for participants reporting more than eight hours or less than 4-1/2.

"People who sleep five, six or seven hours have nothing to worry about. There is no evidence that people need eight hours of sleep ... The only basis for that is it's what grandma used to say," Dr. Daniel Kripke, a UCSD professor of psychiatry and the study's lead author, said in an interview.

He said the study shows that longer sleep is a risk factor for cancer as well as heart disease and stroke, but more research is needed to determine whether sleeping longer should be added to the growing list of one-time pleasures -- like smoking and alcohol -- now deemed hazardous to your health.

Other researchers also cautioned against strict interpretation of the findings. "Many studies show that if people don't get adequate sleep they are very sleepy during the day. Their ability to perform tasks is impaired, the risk of accident is higher and people are crabby," said James Walsh, a sleep scientist and president of the National sleep Foundation. He also said the San Diego study was not a true random sampling of the population and more studies are needed.

Kripke, an eight-hour-a-night sleeper, said the average American gets 6-1/2 hours of shut-eye, which is just fine. "Neither in terms of health or survival is there any evidence that eight hours of sleep is better than six or seven. Nor is there any evidence that longer sleepers are rich or have more fun," he added.

Walsh said the weight of evidence still suggests that the average adult needs 7-1/2 to 8-1/2 hours of sleep to be wide awake, energetic and alert during the day.

INSOMNIA DOES NOT INCREASE DEATH RISK

The study found little, if any, connection between death rates and insomnia, which it said patients commonly complain of even when their sleep duration is within normal ranges.

Kripke said people who take sleeping pills were shown to have a slightly higher death rate than others, but because the data was collected in the 1980s, the results are not necessarily reflective of newer types of sleeping pills.

The research, which addressed sleep issues as part of a broader cancer prevention study done with the American Cancer Society (news - web sites), is published in Friday's issue of the Archives of General Psychiatry.

An accompanying commentary by Dr. Daniel Buysse and Dr. Mary Ganguli of Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic in Pittsburgh also cautioned that sleep deprivation can raise accident rates.

The best survival rates were found for people who slumbered seven hours a night -- about 32 percent of women in the study and 34 percent of the men fell into this category. People with as little as five hours of sleep lived longer than participants with eight hours or more per night.

The study was not designed to say how much longer a person who gets between five and seven hours of sleep will live when compared to people who average eight or more hours.

Heart disease was the most common cause of death, followed by stroke and cancer.

The study was designed to account for dozens of variables, such as age, health problems and education, that would affect life span. The mean age was 57 for women and 58 for men.

Although the research was conducted from 1982 to 1988, the results have not been available until recently because of technological constraints and the length of time required to analyze the vast amount and variety of data.

The sleep Foundation's Walsh said the study does not prove that people who get seven hours of sleep have longer lives -- it shows only a statistical relationship.

"One shouldn't conclude that there aren't any negatives to either insomnia or short sleep," he added. "Mortality is not the only health-related factor. If quality of life is dramatically worse, I think most people would choose longer sleep as opposed to living in a fog of sleepiness."

Kripke likened the habit of lingering in bed to overeating. "Everyone knows that eating too much is bad for you. If you eat a little bit less than you desire, you will live longer," he said. "It is also true that if we look across the mammalian kingdom, the short sleepers live longer."

He said some sleep loss actually acts as an antidepressant.
"

-kobi
post #11 of 20 Old 02-23-2004, 08:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

WrxFoLife is an unknown
Wow, now I have a good excuss for my mom whenever I come home late on the weekends ( 1-2 ).

Mike
post #12 of 20 Old 02-23-2004, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
Nice find. I still love my sleep though. Kinda sux when you fall asleep in your classes and your teachers need to bang books on your desk to wake you up.

Che
post #13 of 20 Old 02-24-2004, 08:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
now you tell me, I'm used to getting 8-12 hours a day, If i get less than 7, I don't function properly, but I'm sure gonna try.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-25-2004, 11:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

03WRB2NR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 03WRB2NR
i only get about 7 hrs of sleep, i keep telling myself im goin to sleep at 10:00 but i end up playing counter-strike for like 3 hrs and end up going to sleep at like 1 or 12.. and i have school at 7
post #15 of 20 Old 02-26-2004, 01:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

vballshake is an unknown
I go to bed around 1am and get up at 6:00 am. Go to school then work. I get home around 8:30 and take care of what needs to be taken care of. So I would say on average 5-6 hours if I take a nap