Hi I'm new and need some info. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-17-2005, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrxnoobie is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wrxnoobie
Hi I'm new and need some info.

Hey what's up guys. Recently my Integra was totalled and I am lookin to purchase another car. I really have my mind set on purchasing the older style wrx ### I like the bug eyed look. I drive an acura so all I really know are b,h,k series motors. I have no info whatsoever on the wrx. I'm really trying to get out of the honda/acura scene. I'm about to purchase a car soon and just needed a couple of info. What's the major difference between the older models wrx and the new ones? Have there been any recalls on them or parts that are known to break in the long run? Is the car high maintenance? How strong is the turbo on these cars? From what a couple of wrx owners told me. The only flaw in the wrx is the transmission. A couple of 5k drops launches will kill the transmission? How much should I be lookin to spend if I want to buy an 03 or older model with decent mileage, lets say under 50k. I really need some input from people who have the car that's why I joined this site. Any info will be a great help. Convert me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-17-2005, 06:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
2004 Differences
All Weather Package available and optional Sunroof. Other WRX changes include projector beam fog lights, re-designed one-piece front seats, collapsible pedals, larger hood scoop, redesigned hood, center tachometer, new headlights, taillights and fog lights, new gray color vents and stereo, a few new colors. I think there was a change with the ECU as far as running in opened/closed loop, but there are other people on here that can explain that better then me.

I have had 2 very minor recalls on my 2003 WRX. The first was for a cruise control switch or something, Subaru said they never had a problem with them, but the possiblity was there. The second was a defective bolt on one of the front seats, I got this recall months ago and never bothered to take it in yet. Both recalls were are only supposed to take like 15min to fix.
I also had to take my car in once because the CEL came on, Subaru ended up sending my ECU to New Jersey to update the logic.

I have yet to do any maintenance on the car other then oil changes. However they do get a little pricey. Synthetic oil runs me about $25 for 6quarts and the filters run me about $8.

The stock turbo is small, but with exhaust and reflash you should be able to run mid-high 13s. As far as the transmission, yes it is the weak part of the car, but a harder gear set will take car of the problem. I do not suggest any 5k drops, most people tend to slip the clutch at 5k. Thats how I launch and have had no issues with my clutch and/or transmission yet.

Not sure what the retail on a 02-03 WRX w/ less then 50k is, but I think mine has a retail of 19k(03 w/ 14k miles). I would expect 15k-20k or even less in some cases.

Hope that helped.
-Adam
post #3 of 9 Old 01-17-2005, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrxnoobie is an unknown
Yea thanks that's the kind of info I needed. I also heard about the cruise control thing. hmm weird but that's ok I didn't use it on my last car anyway. As for the maintenance I don't mind I used to spend 30+ on oil just on my old car so it's ok. What kind of gas mileage do you see on your wrx? I'm sure subaru has found ways to make it more fuel efficient even with the turbo. I'm not expecting it to be a gas saver like a hybrid civic but I also don't want it to be a gass guzzlin v8. I'm gonna use it as a daily driver so I would like to get a decent gas mileage. Plus I travel alot. A friend also suggested into lookin at srt4 but to me it's a neon with a turbo charger. eh thanks.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-17-2005, 10:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

When I don't beat on my car a whole lot, I see 20-25mpg, just depends where I drive. I don't put on very many highway miles. When you rip on throttle you can actually see the needle drop. As for the SRT-4, they are very wicked cars when it comes to speed. With very little money you can get them near 300whp and I have seen some run into the 12's with little mods. Just look for a 2004+ because that is when they had LSD stock. Stock they dyno around 240tq & 230hp at the wheels, thats more then Dogde claims at the flywheel.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-18-2005, 05:46 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXtreme
Stock they dyno around 240tq & 230hp at the wheels, thats more then Dogde claims at the flywheel.
Why can't Subaru have under-estimated their HP like Dodge? 227 would mean like 235 at the wheels for us. That is STi power right there.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-19-2005, 08:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

It seems to me that Subaru is using the WRX & STi numbers more as a marketing strategy, where as Dodge is using the SRT-4 numbers to keep insurance lower.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-20-2005, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrxnoobie is an unknown
That reminds me. How much is your insurance on the wrx. Man I'm only 19 and I think insurance will try and rape me. Some say you have to be mature and a little bit older to drive a wrx or srt4. Iono I got my ls when I was 15 started workin on it piece by piece till the day I got rear ended and wrecked it. I got it to run respectable times. Hopefully it wont be as high as my friend.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-21-2005, 10:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

I got my WRX when I had just turned 19. My insurance was about $250 a month for full coverage, then I shopped around and it was $215 a month last year, now this year its going back up to $225 a month.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-24-2005, 04:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quack is more helpful than not
~$70/month for me (33 male, married, clean record)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement