Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   The Hangout (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Happy Holidays (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/happy-holidays-27854/)

newtothegame 12-24-2009 08:27 PM

Happy Holidays

The wife and I are up doing some last minute wrapping, wanted to jump on here wish everyone a Happy Holiday. Hope Santa is good to everyone.:rocks:

04paulieWRX 12-24-2009 08:32 PM

well said, Merry Christmas to all!

booosted09 12-24-2009 10:21 PM

Thanks Josh...Merry X-mas to you and everyone on the site...Have a safe happy holiday.

02WRXbugeye 12-25-2009 12:10 AM

I think santa is going to give me a Kakumei cat back:)

VisiX 12-25-2009 12:32 AM

I think Santa set me up with an appointment to get some snow tires next Tuesday.

Happy Holidays everyone!

sleepr 12-25-2009 04:02 AM

Merry Christmas from Korea!

VD5505 12-25-2009 04:36 AM

I'm stuck on watch Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!! oh well ha but Merry Christmas to all!!

man show 12-25-2009 10:48 AM

Merry Christmas from Frederick, MD! (about an hour north of the nation's capital)

Santa hooked me up with a hood scoop splitter and a set of spark plugs :)

Smokin'Joe 12-25-2009 01:40 PM

Merry Christmas Subie lovers! Santa wants me to get the Perrin rear sway bar and end links =D Better than that, he blessed us with 3" of snow and gets a snow sculpture in his likeness! I love the Holidays! Wheeee!!!! hahahaha

turmic 12-26-2009 07:58 PM

[quote=man show;237541]Merry Christmas from Frederick, MD! (about an hour north of the nation's capital)

Santa hooked me up with a hood scoop splitter and a set of spark plugs :)[/quote]

Which hood scoop splitter?

I hope everyone had a good christmas. The will have a safe new year.

man show 12-27-2009 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's just the OEM 06/07 STi hood scoop splitter and rubber ducting/bellows from subarugenuineparts.com. I couldn't justify the price of the Zerosports splitter to Santa and I'm still running the stock WRX TMIC, so I figured the STi splitter might work a little better since its fitment was guaranteed (I installed it this morning and it fit perfectly) and it has a little rubber piece to help direct air all the way to the TMIC. I originally thought I could reuse the rubber ducting from my WRX splitterless piece, but I couldn't because the STi splitter is a little bigger and the rubber is slightly bigger (length-wise) to accomodate that (however, I did have to reuse the plastic clips to hold the rubber on to the splitter and the screws and clip to hold the assembly in the scoop). Height-wise (distance from the bottom of the hood to the top of the TMIC), they're the same. I thought maybe the STi splitter rubber ducting was shorter in that regard because I assumed the stock STi TMIC was thicker and protruded significantly more toward the hood, but that's not the case.

The 06/07 stock STi splitter is still quite obviously not designed for my application as the affected cooling area appears to be about 1/4 to 1/3 larger - reaching back toward the firewall a little more to accomodate the larger stock STi TMIC. Side to side, it's about the same. It appears as though half of the air (top half, closest to the firewall) will actually be directed mostly at the black plastic part of my stock WRX TMIC, so that's pretty useless. But the other half of the air (bottom half, closest to the front of the car) will be directed more toward the middle and front of my stock WRX TMIC, so that will hopefully be slightly more efficient than the stock WRX splitterless piece I used to have.

I've created a nifty little illustration for everyone's viewing pleasure. The yellow lines indicate about where the rubber ducting meets both TMICs and about where the splitters end at the TMICs.
From top to bottom:
1. Stock 06/07 WRX TMIC w/ stock 06/07 WRX splitterless piece
2. Stock 06/07 WRX TMIC w/ stock 06/07 STi splitter
3. Stock 06/07 STi TMIC w/ stock 06/07 STi splitter

I'm just hoping this setup will be slightly more efficient than my stock splitterless setup was. Even though I might have to upgrade again to a Zerosports (or other) splitter if I get a massive TMIC in the future, I can try to sell this one and make a few bucks and hopefully it won't be a complete loss.

Plugs are NGK Iridium LFR6AIX (stock heat range).