GSX worth it? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-14-2005, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tescrex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tescrex
GSX worth it?

Hey guys, my girlfriend is looking to buy an awd car thats decently sporty around 10 grand. We've looked at ALL of the options, and since there is a relative lack of 2.5 rs's around, we're looking at GSXs. Would you guys reccomend (unbiased, since I know they're the competition) getting a gen 2 GSX with 70-80k miles on it? Will it be too much of a headache? I know it'd be a good idea to go with one that hasnt been modded out too much, I was just wondering if anyone here has experience and knows if it will be a decently reliable daily driver. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-14-2005, 08:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
They are great cars, the 4G63 is an amazing eninge, however I have heard stories of crankwalk. I would definatly look into it. Theres a 2g TSi w/ 37k for $8500 for sale her in Lnacaster, I am thinking of selling my car for it.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-14-2005, 08:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

RPFRIDE is an unknown
I was recently researchiing the dsm for a coworker (has a '99 gs-t)on dsmtuner.com. seems to me like they had alot of recalls. I dont know how major some of the recalls are but.....it was alot. reliability issues? Remember , you will be the one picking her up if it breaks down !Laugh! .
imo, keep looking for a impreza. (4 doors=less chance people will try to hook up with youre lady...lol).
post #4 of 10 Old 02-14-2005, 11:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

DSM Ghost is an unknown
Well I would say get the car for her DSM's are great cars and just like all cars they need to be taken care of. If you go easy on the mods on it you will never have any problems with it. And as for crank walk this is more likly to happen if you put a 2600lbs clutch in the car but if you use the stock or say a 2100lbs clutch then you should have no problems.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-14-2005, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tescrex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tescrex
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPFRIDE
(4 doors=less chance people will try to hook up with youre lady...lol).
We've been dating for 4 years and are getting engaged

Another thing is that it is an auto, will she have less drivetrain problems that way? (of course that is assuming is has been treated the same as the manual)
post #6 of 10 Old 02-14-2005, 11:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

al5dsm is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to al5dsm
Automatics are not prone to the crankwalk. Yes my 95 did walk. Truth be told, crankwalk is blown out of proportion. I own 2 DSM's and both have been broken on occasions. Like someone said above, DSM's are just like any other car and require regular maintence. The better you take care of it, the longer it will last. The reason so many people think DSM's are unreliable is because of people like me who take them to the track on a consistant basis and run them hard on the streets.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-15-2005, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

DSM Ghost is an unknown
the auto trans can handle mid 300hp with no problem just make sure you get the fluid done every year at least once or twice I have had an auto awd and beat the hell out of it testing its limits so take me word for it. But the 5speeds do take a lot more power to make them brake down. ? are you going to mod the car or just leave it stock
post #8 of 10 Old 02-16-2005, 01:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

1badtsi is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 1badtsi Send a message via MSN to 1badtsi Send a message via Yahoo to 1badtsi
118k miles chiming in, no crankwalk whatsoever and i have mods and beat on my car on the regular, c-walk isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be, i dont even know anyone who has a car thats walked
post #9 of 10 Old 02-16-2005, 07:24 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
I do. The one person I know personally w/ a DSM has crankwalk.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-16-2005, 10:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

al5dsm is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to al5dsm
Its completely overrated... and yes this is coming from someone who had it... i know more than enough people who havent had any issues with it... besides, he said hes getting an Automatic so crankwalk isnt an issue here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement