Got smoked by a VR6.... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 04-20-2003, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thespraint is an unknown
Got smoked by a VR6....

Hey,

I was racing my buddy today and he totally smoked me with his VW Vr6.. He hass an exhaust and I'm pretty sure he has a chip installed.. I killed him from first to 3rd but when he hit 4th he blew right by me.
My 2002 Rex is stock but I didn't think I'd get killed that bad!!
So the question is what does it take to beat him. I don't want any stage kits 'cause I live In Canada and it's a pain in the @^# to ship my ECU to get re-mapped and all that. Quickest and easiest bolt on's would be the wise choice. Of course an up-pipe comes to mind but then again the choice are endless and with all the price differences who knows which one will be good for me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 04-20-2003, 10:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX-RATED is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRX-RATED
Well you could go with GREDDY FMIT, ever UpGrade your Turbo. Or GET THE APEX AVC-R AND UP YOUR PSI TO LIKE 18. But just for racing. You could do FREE MODS, MAF, GROUNDING WIRES (8GAUGE) to your battery. Um or get HOT EARTH GROUNDING WIRE KIT WITH INCREASES REACTION TIME. And of course INJEN INTAKE, AND HKS HYPER EXHAUST. Those are just a few things, i suggest, you live in canada, cant say much for the gov't but i LOVE AVRIL LAVIGNE!! HOPE THAT HELPS LET ME KNOW. TYLER
post #3 of 44 Old 04-21-2003, 12:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

zoophagy is an unknown
I don't believe that a FMIC would be a wise decision for a first mod, whether it be Greddy or otherwise. Without an upgraded turbo (with requisite fuel system upgrades), it would do nothing more than increase turbo lag. Also, if you increse the boost above 15.5 psi, you will do nothing except heat the air, which will cause performance losses. I would suggest starting with a catless up-pipe and a turboback exhaust. Also, if you want a staged upgrade without sending in your ECU, you could always purchase TurboXS's UTEC, which allows you to retain your factory ECU.

While I agree with WRX-Rated on the Canadian government (socialized medicine . . . ack), I despise Avril Lavigne. She wants to be a punk rocker but she is admittedly ignorant of the Sex Pistols.

But I digress. Good luck on beating your friend in the future.
post #4 of 44 Old 04-21-2003, 08:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Quote:
Originally posted by WRX-RATED
Well you could go with GREDDY FMIT, ever UpGrade your Turbo. Or GET THE APEX AVC-R AND UP YOUR PSI TO LIKE 18. But just for racing. You could do FREE MODS, MAF, GROUNDING WIRES (8GAUGE) to your battery. Um or get HOT EARTH GROUNDING WIRE KIT WITH INCREASES REACTION TIME. And of course INJEN INTAKE, AND HKS HYPER EXHAUST. Those are just a few things, i suggest, you live in canada, cant say much for the gov't but i LOVE AVRIL LAVIGNE!! HOPE THAT HELPS LET ME KNOW. TYLER
Don't bother with a FMIC. You don't need it. As for boost control, look into a UTEC or something like that. You could go with a MBC, but it's easy to get carried away with those and hurt your motor. They are fine when used sensibly, however.

I have heard that the grounding kits add 2-3 hp, but to be honest, that's not usually enough to notice. If you want to really increase your reaction time, get some lighter wheels, a lightweight flywheel, and a better clutch.

Stay far away from the Injen intake. I have heard more than 30 people say they experienced all kinds of problems - idling, MAF problems, CEL's, etc. If you MUST have an intake, get a "short ram" style.

The HKS exhaust is okay, but sounds kind of ricey for my tastes. I like the Turbo XS or the Bosal exhaust.

And as for Canadian music, we all know the best music to come out of Canada is the Tragically Hip....
post #5 of 44 Old 04-21-2003, 09:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

beanswrx is an unknown
well zoophagy i'm w/ you agina on this one front mount waste of time, cheap fast don't use alot, power gain, boost controller, go to 1 bar and your fine, uppipe downpipe and exaust next step, then intake and ecu WITH injectors, fastest gain though boost controller, just don't hit fuel cut.
post #6 of 44 Old 04-21-2003, 09:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

iwantawrx is an unknown
hate to say it, but you can't drive........
post #7 of 44 Old 04-22-2003, 12:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

rexwagonee is an unknown
you should notice a nice difference by just gutting the up-pipe. since you live in canada, i don't think its a good idea to do mods now. the reason is that boost will be greater in colder weather. you'll just end up de tuning in summer. of course this means that come winter you will get the itch to retune. the best thing is really going to be to get a turboxs ecu with the appropriate fuel maps. get some gauges first and find out what is going on with your car first. i'm assuming you don't have any.
post #8 of 44 Old 04-23-2003, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

koki is an unknown
hold it ! hold it ! hold it! you must be totally stock or else you dont know how to drive ,i raced my friend on his vr6 w ported intake, chip, suspension, exahust ,cold air and im sure that he has more tricks under the jacket! i just had the turbo xs complete up down w only one cat pluss the cat back w a drop in filter and beat him bad to be honest we opened at 3rd gear he was on my ass until i hit 4 gear then see ya ! at least two cars up front and i had company he didnot so if you start w that you will smoke him now i have more gadgets and he just wont race me he says its embarassing
post #9 of 44 Old 04-23-2003, 07:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

koki is an unknown
p.s. they have an awesome third gear be carefull! dont race his type of race
post #10 of 44 Old 04-23-2003, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thespraint is an unknown
Well I will admit that I am TOTALLY stock... I have been driving stick for at least 8 years so yes I can drive thank you very much!!
We didn't get very far in 4th I will add 'cause we were running out of road! I really don't know what he has under his hood but I know he has a pretty wicked exhaust and some sort of chip also. I on the other hand have 0 as mods but after that race my mind has changed quite a bit!!
So thanx for the help and I'll see what i can get my hands on here in Canada and I'll keep you guys posted...

ps--- yes Cosmo the Hip are awesome and something Canadians can be proud of....Nothing like Sum41....hehehe

thx and Cheers,

Dave
post #11 of 44 Old 04-23-2003, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thespraint is an unknown
Oh Also....

Iwantawrx...Thanx soooooo much for your beautiful piece of advice...People like you always want things you can't have or deserve... I really do hope you have a problem one day and rest assured I will be there to say that you can't drive...
Thanks again so much wannabe.

dave
post #12 of 44 Old 04-24-2003, 11:01 AM
BD1
WRXtuners Member

BD1 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BD1
I would go into hiding for a couple of days if I ever lost to a Volkswagon

Like bringing a knife to a gun fight...

Look us up www.dsmtuners.com
post #13 of 44 Old 04-24-2003, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thespraint is an unknown
Another no brainer.....
Very sad!!
post #14 of 44 Old 04-24-2003, 11:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

rexwagonee is an unknown
what is it with the flame wars? ANY CAR CAN BE FAST!!!! given enough money i can take all of you guys with a YUGO!!!!! no there won't be anything left on it that is stock, but the badges will say YUGO!!!

once you get into tuning and true racing some of you will realize that mods and driving skill are the only things that truly matter. yes i like AWD and personally find that it gives me a competitive edge, but i can go get 2 more guys, one will swear by FWD and the other RWD. i've been spanked by highly tuned civics, and blown the doors off mustangs and camero's. and one time i got smoked by a 76 pinto. anyone ever heard of an 11 second PINTO!
post #15 of 44 Old 04-24-2003, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thespraint is an unknown
Very good point and also very true!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement