Got rear-ended tonight - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-22-2011, 11:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Got rear-ended tonight

On my way home from work tonight, I was rear-ended. Some car spun out and was stuck in the grass and naturally everybody was rubber necking. The people in front of me slowed down, so I slowed down. Apparently the guy behind me didn't get the memo because he locked up his tires and skidded into the back of my car, bounced off of it, and lodged his car under a guard rail. Luckily, nobody was hurt and the only damage to my car was a badly scratched rear bumper and my HKS cat back tip is rolled almost in half. Needless to say, the other guy's car is in pretty bad shape. My WRX is driveable and there's no other damage as far as I can tell, but it was dark and rainy, so I'll inspect it a little closer tomorrow. I'll also try to snap a few pics and post them up. I really can't believe my bad luck with cars these days !Cry!

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2011, 03:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
well even though there was little damage, Its still about a grand worth with the Ti and new paint , so that still sucks.
But glad to know nobody was hurt.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#3 Old 11-23-2011, 05:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
That sucks....

Hey, you will get a new catback to replace the old one. AND keep the old one and get it fixed and make some cash on the side (gotta look at the bright side).

Oh.... you need a good luck charm.... Or maybe learn voodoo

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#4 Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Probably just get a new bumper out of it rather than paint it, especially if he dug up the plastic any.

Also, this is why I save all my receipts for aftermarket parts. Insurance WILL cover them if you have proof of cost. They may give you a slight reduction for depreciation but they will cover it in some way.

Honestly, I say it's a good reason to get that exhaust off the car alltogether.... You have good gears now, no more angeled melon launcher

-Chris
#5 Old 11-23-2011, 08:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^hahahaa.

You also have to remember that the insurance will MTL pay for a new fartcan over a stocker because of cost. Subby exhausts are more than a aftermarket 90% of the time.

Just like they will MTL pay for carbon fiber pieces over a stock OEM piece if the price is less.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 11-23-2011, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
sorry to hear about, glad your okay.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#7 Old 11-23-2011, 02:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Hopefully they don't think your trans is all busted up now because of the whine. hehe

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, especially since you just got the car back! Glad everyone was okay though and that he didn't shove you into someone else's rear end.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#8 Old 11-23-2011, 11:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Damn John...you can't win lately. Did you exchange insurance information at least? Where is the pictures?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#9 Old 11-23-2011, 11:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
Sorry hear about that. Atleast your ok and didnt gett messed up. Just look at it as though your not putting miles on your baby for a little. Ppl are dumb my dads cts got hit 3 times this month from it being just parked so crap happens gotta keep rolling
#10 Old 11-23-2011, 11:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Oh yeah, MD State Police were on the scene quickly since the other driver's car bounced off of mine, skidded off the road, and got stuck in a guard rail. They filled out a report and I contacted the other driver's insurance company first thing this morning to file a claim and I took my WRX to one of their shops to get an estimate - I was quoted just a tick over $1,000, but the exhaust alone costs almost that much

I also already have a tentative appointment with IAG's body shop in early December, so we'll see how good of a job they do. I'm pretty sure I just need a new cat back and a new rear bumper skin, but I won't know if anything else is damaged until they check it out. I think the insurance company might also provide a rental car for me while the work is being done which is nice. Time will tell...
Attached Images

John
#11 Old 11-24-2011, 05:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
bumper looks decent, but the carbon ti......ouch

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#12 Old 11-24-2011, 09:14 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
So how does the car sound now John? Sorry that was the first thing I thought after hearing that you are alrite and the car is mostly fine. I hope all goes well, quick and smooth for you.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#13 Old 11-24-2011, 09:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
That exhaust is fine... Take it to a shop and have a new tip welded on. $50 and done.

I would just make sure it didn't transfer the shock all the way up to the turbo/uppipe/exhaust manifold/heads and make sure there are no broken studs anywhere.

-Chris
#14 Old 11-27-2011, 09:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

^ That's what I'm most worried about - that, and frame damage. The car doesn't pull in any direction when I'm driving it and there are no unusual wobbles that I can feel. It also sounds the same as it did before and there are no obvious exhaust leaks anywhere from what I can hear. I was still rolling forward doing about 20-30 mph or so when the fool hit me, so that probably helped minimize the damage. I'm glad all the body lines still look perfect, so I think I'll just end up with a new rear bumper (the bottom of it is now melted from where the tip is contacting it) and a cat back - probably the same one.

John
#15 Old 11-27-2011, 09:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Suck to hear, but at least you are okay. When I first read the thread title I though it said "got it in the rear end" last nite....Maybe I should get some glasses...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...

« smacked. | 2013