Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   The Hangout (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Fellow Boarders? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/fellow-boarders-27709/)

goodboyWRX 12-03-2009 10:57 PM

Fellow Boarders?

Snowboarding season's back and I was just wondering how many of you all board? I figure that and Suby's go hand in hand. The main reason for this post is to ask advice on a new board from those of you, if any, who have experience. Any input?

Chase 12-03-2009 11:39 PM

YES! I'm excited and currently looking for a good removable rack. I have a salomon board, but haven't been doing it long enough to give you a comparison to other brands.

thack03 12-04-2009 12:57 AM

i have the yakima rack system. its awesome. what are you looking to do with the board? more all mountain, park, both? and whats the budget

sleepr 12-04-2009 04:28 AM

*raises hand*

Smokin'Joe 12-04-2009 05:19 AM

Oh yeah, it certainly gets me excited when I think about hitting the hill! I lived in South Lake Tahoe for a decade as a snowboard coach (so you could say I have a little experience), but moved to Texas for family reasons and only get to go a couple times a year now... boner eh, lol. So like Thack03 said: What type of terrain are you riding (or aiming to ride)? What type of rider are you? Aggresive, likes a poppy and responsive board. Mellow, lots of smooth turns and good give to the board. Powerful, tons of speed and throwing huge rooster tails?! There's of course all mountain boards that can do them all fine, but you certainly have an idea of how you will attack or adapt to the hill.

For a blanket statement, since you're on the East Coast (I grew up riding in PA) I'd highly recommend one of Lib Tech's Banana Traction set ups. Lot's of the 2009/2010 line has this feature and it's a step up from the magna traction they had not long ago. This is a killer edge hold for pipe, carving, whatever. Especially on hard pack or icy days! The new thing is how they changed up all the camber to the boards (the way it curves on a flat base). Some have multiple types integrated into it now too so it can be pretty complicated if you know what you're looking for. I love Mervin Mfg so I ride Lib Tech most of the time, but I've had a great time on Salomon, Burton, Never Summer, and Nideckers too. Just try to narrow down some of those questions and I'll do what I can to lead you on the right path Subaru brotha!

I got my tickets to head back to Tahoe in February, I'm so freakin' excited! They already are riding and my buddies keep sending me emails and pics just to taunt me... NO FAIR!! LOL

RcrsWetDream 12-04-2009 09:11 AM

Moved to Utah in January and this will be my first season snowboarding. I have the board, still have to get the other gear. I'm pumped as Utah does have some pretty wicked snow.

Smokin'Joe 12-04-2009 01:50 PM

I only had the chance to drive through Utah, and it's some beautiful country for sure! From what I gather it's the lightest snow out there due to the salt content and lake effect. Regardless, you'll be stoked!

AkSoul 12-04-2009 03:55 PM

I love to ride. I grew up in Alaska so I've got a good amount of experience riding big mountains, lots of huge powder. I've riden a few different kinds of boards, I second what Smokin' Joe is sayin about the different styles of riding. I think that would be in that power riding category. I like a board thats long, wide on the ends with a skinnier waist for ease of turning. I've owned a couple of salomon boards enjoyed them both. I currently ride a Shuan Palmer honey circle. Its the best i've riden. Its 4 years old now and i think i'm gonna start looking for an Arbor Element. when i was learnig to ride i think any cheap board would have doen the trick. Its been ten years now and I expect a certain feel from a board.
Bindings and Boots are also crucial. I currently have burton bindings and they're horrible imho.I've broken them more than twice. The quality of construction isn't there anymore. salomon makes some great bindings, That is the direction I will be heading anyways.

All this board talk makes me want to ride.

Good luck

man show 12-04-2009 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a set of Flow bindings that are quick and easy to put on... similar to the pic... except in camo. Makes it super convenient to strap in and roll down the hill. I think I probably get more runs in that way, which is especially good at Liberty mountain since the trails are so short. My board is made by a company called Head. I think the board might be a little too heavy for my tastes, but it gets the job done and I paid $180 for both from a friend who only used them several times before he hurt his back, so they were basically new.

nj kiter 12-04-2009 09:40 PM

have fun putting those on in powder just kidding, i had a k2, but am going to give that lib tech banana shit a shot. so i got a magic banana. as for racks i got the thule rack they work great. they held 3 boards at 100 mph.

Smokin'Joe 12-05-2009 01:02 AM

I'm with AkSoul in the fact that Burton bindings just plain suck. Unless you spend a paycheck on THE best pair they make you might be satisfied, but I've had two pairs and have a box full of parts for how many times they dismantled while riding, and all the replacements I've had to make to keep riding on a daily basis some times. I personally ride Nidecker bindings and don't think it gets any better than that for what I do (All mountain, some big hits, steep and deep, carving shizz up super fast). If you want to hit rails all day then you should look else where, but they are right there with Salomon in many aspects, and ahead in a few in my book. Not a super exposed company, but within the AASI (American Association of Snowboard Instructors) they live up to the hype for sure. Like carving a black diamond with only the front foot strapped in solid.

Man Show, my buddy is a Head rep. and I rode one for a day with some crazy micro chip in it to stiffen up when it chatters. It was nuts because it bucked me off a little nub one time cause it was soft and then yanked up stiff! Something with controlling the vibrations and resending different wave lengths to stiffen or soften the board. Cool stuff, but like you said, kinda heavy. I rode Liberty a few times too! I grew up in Ellicott City, MD, LOL. Ever hit up Blue Knob or Seven Springs in PA? They're the best out there for day trips, but Whitetail is fun too though, hahaha.

I'm gonna go out to my garage in Texas now and wax my snowboard.... Jones is my name! Whoot!

thack03 12-05-2009 02:32 AM

are you guys talking about newer burton binding, cause I have some older 04-05ish cartels that are great, and a park board to think about is rome, i had the artifact sds and it was awesome, not so great outside the park or not on the street, but it is also what you want the board to feel like in each situation, id listen to smokin joe

man show 12-05-2009 11:50 AM

Nope, I haven't been to Blue Knob or Seven Springs, but I might have to check them out. I spend most of my time at Liberty since it's only about 30 mins from Frederick, although I did make it to Wisp and Whitetail once last year. This year, I'm thinking about taking a weekend trip up to the Poconos in PA for some snowboarding and boozing.

Yakima makes a great roof rack too... my FatCat 6 held up pretty well last year. I'm debating whether or not I want to put stickers all over my fairing.

Smokin'Joe 12-05-2009 12:39 PM

Yeah Thack, alot of my park rat buddies really like Rome boards since most of them are real flexy, buttery types for jibbin' all over. Those year Cartels I heard were nice, but I've never had a pair or Burton's that didn't break in multiple places.

I just ordered a Yakima rack and will definitely be pasting stickers all over it before it even goes on the car, lol. Just because I'll be taking it off when not in use. Since the car is still new and looks clean I don't want that junkie look to it, but a couple good stickers just to customize is how I do everything, lol.

Blue Knob is the biggest mountain around there, but if you head out to the Pocono's, the first place I ever worked was at Camelback. It's a cool spot. Not sure what they've done in the last decade though since I haven't been there in that long! hahaha. Cool little town though, harsh drive, but not with a Subie =D

Chase 12-05-2009 03:07 PM

Going to pick up my yakima removable roof rack right now. $230 off craigslist. :)