F1 engine limits reducing

so first 1986, they banned turbos
and now 2005, they're banning 3.0L v10s

say hello to the new F1 powerhouse, the 2.4L v8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-08-2005, 11:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
welp... again i think they are moving in the wrong direction. they will have as much HP as the v10s in a year anyway, just like every time they reduce the engine size, or remove turbos, they allways become more powerfull.

what do i think they should do? i think they should tell every F1 team to make the most bad ass race car concevable. no limits anywhere. and when they show up for the first race with 1500hp monsters, tell them to take all the wings off, and then they can race

make it intaresting.
#3 Old 07-09-2005, 11:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

imbeterthanu is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imbeterthanu
dude that would be nuts. 1500 hp car with absolutly no down force. can we say missiles.
#4 Old 07-09-2005, 11:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
nuts..... but funny
#5 Old 07-09-2005, 12:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

04WRXn00b is an unknown
They down tune the engines for safety. If everybody had a turbocharged 1500 HP engine a lot of people could die. If someone with not very much experience gets behind the wheel of that they could kill somebody else, and like you said they will be just as fast in a year and we will still have all the good drivers alive.
#6 Old 07-11-2005, 12:03 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
in 1986 they were already at 1200+hp... Now we'll be down to 600-700hp for at least a few years.
#7 Old 07-11-2005, 12:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
well granted if it was done how i want there would be an incredibly interesting first race

90% of the teams would bail out of race #1 all together. and then shume would ###### do a lap or two for kicks, and maybe alanso and button would just do doughnuts on the front straght (most likly un-intentionaly)

and then everyone would go dumb down there cars to a nice crisp 300whp and refuse to run tredded tires.

but damn would it be some sweet racing when they got the kinks worked out.
#8 Old 07-11-2005, 08:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jag_Warrior is an unknown
Depending on how Max the Mouth handles the Michelin blow-up at the end of the season, it might not matter what sort of engine the FIA mandates for F1. Grand Prix World Championship, baby! Yeah... let's destroy the #1 form of motorsport! Max and that dwarf Bernie the Bastud!

First, the Indy 500 gets ####ed up with the IRL. Then CART goes bankrupt. Now this. Why don't I just marry my cousin and get the transformation to 24/7 NASCAR fan over with?!
#9 Old 07-12-2005, 11:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

frigin nascar

grrrr...
#10 Old 07-13-2005, 11:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

imbeterthanu is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imbeterthanu
hey at least we still have WRC.
#11 Old 07-13-2005, 11:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

bluesnow is an unknown
!Laugh! ROLF!
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbeterthanu
dude that would be nuts. 1500 hp car with absolutly no down force. can we say missiles.
#12 Old 07-23-2005, 08:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rumor is

Cosworth has their new F1 V8 spinning north of 23 grand. :eek: Horsepower is rumored to be 750+.

Just my opinion (which I'm sure Max and Bernie really care about), but Champ Car engines are V8's (OK, with turbos) and make around 750+ hp, depending on allowed boost levels for the track type - so why not go with small turbocharged V8's? Helluva lot cheaper... since the FIA is all about saving coins now.

Even IRL cars (all ugly, all the time) with the Cosworth(Chevrolet) V8 make north of 650 hp. Broke @$$ IRL teams are not spending $10 million a year on their customer engine programs. An extra $8 million for 100 horsepower in F1??? Man, I feel real warm & fuzzy about ALL of my Subie mods now.
#13 Old 07-23-2005, 12:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

yeah but the f1 engines dont use turbos. so getting 100 more horspower out of the same engine without a turbo is a lot of work

i dont think f1 will ever go back to using turbos. there is so much BHP potential.

isent champ car using some nos system as well now?
#14 Old 07-23-2005, 10:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
yeah but the f1 engines dont use turbos. so getting 100 more horspower out of the same engine without a turbo is a lot of work

i dont think f1 will ever go back to using turbos. there is so much BHP potential.

isent champ car using some nos system as well now?
Yeah, that's my point. F1 engines share almost nothing with IRL (or Champ Car) engines, except for the number of cylinders. The valve and head architecture is completely different, plus the IRL engines were 3.5's and now 3.0's - this F1 2.4 is tiny (even smaller than Champ Car's 2.65 turbo V8). F1 could go with relatively simple (read cheaper) turbo V8's of whatever size. Just as CART did back in the day, pass out sanction body supplied pop-off valves and there will be a hard limit on boost and to some degree, on horsepower.

What I'm really getting at is the sporting side of things has been replaced by manufacturers who only love the $ or the Yen from car sales. Because of the current cost of engine development, true customer (non-pay to play) programs are almost unheard of. With Sauber going to BMW and Williams saying they don't pay for engines (can't really pay and still make a profit), the days of the sportman teams are coming to an end. Cossie may be able to make a deal with Minardi (big Whoop!) in '06 but the most legendary name in Grand Prix engine building is almost out of the game because nobody can pay for engines on their own.

NOS in CCWS? Oh, I think you mean the Ford Push-to-Pass system. It's a time limited increase in boost - 60 seconds total per race. F1 is looking at a similar system. Only theirs would rely on an energy storage system tied to the brakes. The F1 system is said to be worth about 60 hp. And it will (of course) probably cost a gazillion dollars... while they continue to try to make a set of tires last a weekend (to save $).
#15 Old 07-25-2005, 05:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

i hate how polotics has infected my favorate sporting event

sigh.

1500hp missiles man... tahts where its at