Don't let spouses drive a stick - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Don't let spouses drive a stick

So I made the mistake of letting my fiancé drive the subie a while ago. She then tried jamming in 1st gear while going 30+ mph. Ever since it occasionally grinds when putting it into 1st. So I know the syncro is going among other things. It grinds probably about 2-3 times a week, and I drive 1.5 hours back and forth to work every day, stop and go.

How long do you guys think I have before I will need a trans rebuild?

P.S. No offense to women, I'm sure you can't all be like my fiancé.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-13-2011, 10:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cbrown718 is an unknown
Honestly i would try and get those sycros replaced asap because that probly is only going to get worse as u drive and could lead to other biger problems
#3 Old 09-14-2011, 05:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
After something like that you should REALLY be draining the fluid and then a flush, then refilling....

Maybe it's just me

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#4 Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Does your fiancé know how to drive stick? You can always do a trans flush and see if you have any pretty metallic flakes in your mix (as pzr2874 mentioned). Hard to guestimate how long it will last and how worn they were already. I can tell you though (from experience) that I shattered 2nd gear and still was able to make it home, over a 20-mile drive.
#5 Old 09-14-2011, 03:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
People really under estimate this cars...I drove home over an hour away with a nice hole in my piston. Yeah it smoked ALOT, but it still got me home and I thought that was pretty darn impressive...
p.s. Yes it was almost out of oil when I arrived home.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#6 Old 09-14-2011, 03:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
I've never changed my own trans fluid before. Why does everything I read talk about mixing different oils? Is it bad if I buy one type of transmission fluid and use only that?

Mike
#7 Old 09-14-2011, 03:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
That would be Uncle Scotty's trans cocktail. I run it, but I was told it's bad for the trans. I'm not much of a trans guy other than taking them out and changing fluid, but redline light weight shock proof has been the choice of a few people.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#8 Old 09-14-2011, 04:20 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
After something like that you should REALLY be draining the fluid and then a flush, then refilling....

Maybe it's just me
+1 on that, except you don't flush, just refill. I ran Uncle Scotty's for 3 1/2 years to cure both the 3rd-4th and into 1st grinds, and while my trans shifts like butter after 191K miles, the cocktail did cause the shift shaft seal and rear yoke seals to leak. That is a pretty well agreed upon side effect. I'm now running the Andrewtech cocktail after replacing the seals, still shifts great.

Replacing the fluid is easy. The hard part is finding the Redline lightweight schock-proof and the Motul 300. It's about $50+ for the fluids but well worth it. Change it out, I'll wager that you won't need a tranny

Cullen
#9 Old 09-14-2011, 05:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonracer View Post
+1 on that, except you don't flush, just refill. I ran Uncle Scotty's for 3 1/2 years to cure both the 3rd-4th and into 1st grinds, and while my trans shifts like butter after 191K miles, the cocktail did cause the shift shaft seal and rear yoke seals to leak. That is a pretty well agreed upon side effect. I'm now running the Andrewtech cocktail after replacing the seals, still shifts great.

Replacing the fluid is easy. The hard part is finding the Redline lightweight schock-proof and the Motul 300. It's about $50+ for the fluids but well worth it. Change it out, I'll wager that you won't need a tranny
Now what does the Andrewtech cocktail consist of? I bought my stuff from Grimm Speed and was wondering if it differs from the Andrewtech one.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#10 Old 09-14-2011, 05:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Now what does the Andrewtech cocktail consist of? I bought my stuff from Grimm Speed and was wondering if it differs from the Andrewtech one.
AndrewTech Cocktail = 3qts Redline Lightweight Shockproof and 1 qt Motul 300

Uncle Scotty's Cocktail (which GrimmSpeed sells) = 1 Pennzoil Synchromesh Quart, 2 Castrol Hypoy C 80w90, 1 Redline Lightweight Shockproof

People also swear by the Subaru Extra S
#11 Old 09-14-2011, 06:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I would just stay away from USC it turns acidic. Subaru Extra S, Andrewtech Cocktail, or just Motul 300.

PS: My gf has driven stick for 5+ years and she doesn't grind my STI's gears. Its all in the user. She gets a chance to drive my car from time to time.....when its running. She just doesn't get on it....because the boost scares her. LOL

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#12 Old 09-14-2011, 06:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Well I guess I'll be putting in an order to Grimmspeed asap. Thanks for the help again guys.

Like I said, no offense to women. My fiancé just didn't know you have to completely stop to put it in 1st.

Mike
#13 Old 09-14-2011, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Get PPG's/PAT gear set in your trans, and she can smack it into 1st going 35mph all day j/k

BTW - GrimmSpeed sells Uncle Scotty's Cocktail, which turmic has suggested to stay away from.
#14 Old 09-14-2011, 07:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Well...nasioc and even cullen said to stay away from it to a certain degree. It turns acidic and will start to eat away at your seals and some people on nasioc claim it eats your gears too. Take that with a grain of salt if you must...it would have to get quite acidic to eat raw metal.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#15 Old 09-14-2011, 07:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

I might just order the Andrewtech stuff next trans fluid change....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...