Does this seem strange? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-27-2004, 08:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

zoinks is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to zoinks
Unhappy Does this seem strange?

A co-worker has this suncatcher in her window. No one noticed the perverseness of it until I pointed it out. Maybe I'm just sick in the head?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2004, 09:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
No I'd say your co-workers are out of it!

That is pretty obvious I think!
#3 Old 04-27-2004, 11:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to T WREX Send a message via Yahoo to T WREX
ok kids, time for a science lesson:

How birds have sex

Mr. Bird has found his season's love, and she loves him back. What causes these birds to form these bonds in the spring and summer, not when it is cold and snowy, nor while they are migrating?
Hormones from the pituitary gland are the answer. During breeding season in response to the hormones, the male's testes become several hundred times larger than normal to produce sperm, with the left testis usually larger. The female bird's ovaries also enlarge during breeding season to produce the ovum. Female birds usually only have one functional ovary, the left one.

In birds, an ovum is fertilized in the female bird's oviduct by a sperm cell from the male bird. Once fertilized, the ovum becomes the nucleus of the egg. The egg, that has its own food source, the yolk, will be laid by the female into her nest, incubated, and then the baby bird will hatch.

But how does the sperm from the male bird get into the female? How can they have intercourse without any external male organs, such as a penis? The male's sperm, produced in the testes, passes to the cloaca where it is stored until copulation (act of sex). The female also has a cloaca that leads from the ovaries. The female bird unfans her tail, moves it to one side while the male climbs up onto her back or gets close to her. Their cloacas are pressed together and the sperm moves from the male to the female. This act is called a cloacal kiss.

The sperm is stored by the female for at least a week, in some species over a hundred days. Then as each ovum from the ovary moves into the oviduct, it gets fertilized with the stored sperm, producing a clutch of many eggs, all with the sperm from that one cloacal kiss.

There are a few species of birds where the males do possess a retractable penis that can be pulled back into the bird. These birds include ostriches, cassowaries, kiwis, swans, geese, and ducks. Since waterfowl sometimes make love while in the lake or pond, the penis helps ensure that the sperm is not washed away by the water.

Sperm can be transferred from male cloaca to the female in a blink of an eye - less than a second. Some birds seem to want to linger longer though, sometimes having sex for more than an hour! And, although it is not necessary to copulate frequently since the sperm is stored within the female, remember those hormones are still making the birds excited. Many pairs of birds will mate numerous times within a few days.

FP Green'd 04 STi

Trevor
#4 Old 04-28-2004, 11:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Joe Boxer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Joe Boxer
nice suncatcher...and when the hell did this become National Geographic. I had to take the daughter out of the room when I was reading that. C'mon!

haha

"cloacal kiss" is now part of my vocabulary...the misses will be damn proud.
#5 Old 04-28-2004, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Narrus is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to Narrus
I now know more about bird sex than I ever really wanted to know. I feel edjudicated...
#6 Old 04-28-2004, 01:58 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Lol yeah what the hell was that? Are you like a biologist or some guy who deals w/ nature cause that was really informative lol.
#7 Old 04-28-2004, 02:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
it's called being bored as hell after getting out of work at 1am and google

FP Green'd 04 STi

Trevor
#8 Old 04-28-2004, 03:35 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Lol niceeee
#9 Old 04-28-2004, 07:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Narrus is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to Narrus
I did scare some co-workers with said knowledge, however. If there is something people don't normally want to hear, it's "bird sex" and "cloacal kiss".
#10 Old 04-28-2004, 08:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
haha, my favorite fact is that the bird testes swell to several hundred times their normal size... and I thought morning wood was a #####

FP Green'd 04 STi

Trevor
#11 Old 04-28-2004, 08:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

awdturbo04 is an unknown
heh heh
#12 Old 05-02-2004, 04:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

boostin is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by T WREX
ok kids, time for a science lesson:

How birds have sex

Mr. Bird has found his season's love, and she loves him back. What causes these birds to form these bonds in the spring and summer, not when it is cold and snowy, nor while they are migrating?
Hormones from the pituitary gland are the answer. During breeding season in response to the hormones, the male's testes become several hundred times larger than normal to produce sperm, with the left testis usually larger. The female bird's ovaries also enlarge during breeding season to produce the ovum. Female birds usually only have one functional ovary, the left one.

In birds, an ovum is fertilized in the female bird's oviduct by a sperm cell from the male bird. Once fertilized, the ovum becomes the nucleus of the egg. The egg, that has its own food source, the yolk, will be laid by the female into her nest, incubated, and then the baby bird will hatch.

But how does the sperm from the male bird get into the female? How can they have intercourse without any external male organs, such as a penis? The male's sperm, produced in the testes, passes to the cloaca where it is stored until copulation (act of sex). The female also has a cloaca that leads from the ovaries. The female bird unfans her tail, moves it to one side while the male climbs up onto her back or gets close to her. Their cloacas are pressed together and the sperm moves from the male to the female. This act is called a cloacal kiss.

The sperm is stored by the female for at least a week, in some species over a hundred days. Then as each ovum from the ovary moves into the oviduct, it gets fertilized with the stored sperm, producing a clutch of many eggs, all with the sperm from that one cloacal kiss.

There are a few species of birds where the males do possess a retractable penis that can be pulled back into the bird. These birds include ostriches, cassowaries, kiwis, swans, geese, and ducks. Since waterfowl sometimes make love while in the lake or pond, the penis helps ensure that the sperm is not washed away by the water.

Sperm can be transferred from male cloaca to the female in a blink of an eye - less than a second. Some birds seem to want to linger longer though, sometimes having sex for more than an hour! And, although it is not necessary to copulate frequently since the sperm is stored within the female, remember those hormones are still making the birds excited. Many pairs of birds will mate numerous times within a few days.
Comes to show that there is more out there than just cars. Who woulda thought?

Boostin