Dodge Dakota - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 02-10-2006, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Moe
WRXtuners Member

Moe is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Moe
Dodge Dakota

Ok I came to a conclusion if I get this job I probably cant afford a WRX but I would LIKE to get one but I couldnt afford all the insurance and all that I would be broke. So im thinking about getting a 98-01 Dodge Dakota 4x4 a black one or a blue one and that I can afford I think insurance would be like $200 or some more so I can pay for half of it and my parents pay the other half. But anyway did any of you have a Dodge Dakota if so tell me how you like the truck I was thinking of getting the simple automatic and I am planning on tinting the windows and a cd player and maybe a little lift kit for it so tell me what you guys think.

But later on when I get a better job Im going to get a WRX no matter what I will still be on these forums cause WRX's is my dream car.Tell me what you think about Dodge Dakota's.

- Thanks Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-10-2006, 03:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

GetUpInDer is an unknown
That MY Durango and Dakota have 100% failure rate on the front ball joints.

What engine?
post #3 of 19 Old 02-10-2006, 03:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

AWDwannabe is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to AWDwannabe
with current gas prices i would advise against a truck. my suggestion to you would be a DSM of some sort or some kind of cheaper import, even an older impreza like i've been looking at.

-Pat
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
Eurotrash
Daily Dubbin'
post #4 of 19 Old 02-10-2006, 04:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

ManicsWrX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ManicsWrX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDwannabe
with current gas prices i would advise against a truck. my suggestion to you would be a DSM of some sort or some kind of cheaper import, even an older impreza like i've been looking at.

+1 for older impreza. get one that is a manual and beat the piss out of it and have a good time lol

Chris- ▼SbiΣ Mi▼
242 AWHP / 318 TQ
post #5 of 19 Old 02-10-2006, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Moe
WRXtuners Member

Moe is an unknown
Im looking to get a v6 dodge so it's cheap on gas lol or maybe a v8 If I get a 4x4 im going to do some 4 wheeling!
post #6 of 19 Old 02-10-2006, 04:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

AWDwannabe is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe
Im looking to get a v6 dodge so it's cheap on gas lol or maybe a v8 If I get a 4x4 im going to do some 4 wheeling!

"v6" and "cheap on gas" dont belong in the same sentence unless "are never" is in there somewhere, and that goes twofold for 4wd and v8's.

-Pat
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
Eurotrash
Daily Dubbin'
post #7 of 19 Old 02-10-2006, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Moe
WRXtuners Member

Moe is an unknown
yea i kno gas is still going to be expensive for a v6 but hey. Dont kno if I get this job im going to see when I can take out a loan and then go look at trucks + cars if I can afford a WRX I wil l probably buy it not sure tho yet.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-10-2006, 04:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

AWDwannabe is an unknown
do you really think insurance would be higher on a 93 impreza with awd and probably automatic seatbelts than a big ol truck?

-Pat
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
Eurotrash
Daily Dubbin'
post #9 of 19 Old 02-10-2006, 07:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

eighth08 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to eighth08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe
yea i kno gas is still going to be expensive for a v6 but hey. Dont kno if I get this job im going to see when I can take out a loan and then go look at trucks + cars if I can afford a WRX I wil l probably buy it not sure tho yet.

dude if you get some POS dodge you will regret it. if you want a subaru, save up and get one. even an older impreza... think about how much cheaper that would be. and better.

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-10-2006, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Dakotas arent that bad. there not the shining star of light trucks either. the only Dakota I would ever think about buying would be a Dakota R/T with the 5.9L V8 in stick. That is a particularly fun truck to drive. Of coarse your looking at almost identical insurance on a light truck with a V8 as you are with a turbo charged sedan, both are considered high performance vehicles. the 4x4 is, for the most part irrelevant. The above mentiond Dakota would also rock a WRX off the line, so thats a plus.
post #11 of 19 Old 02-10-2006, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Moe
WRXtuners Member

Moe is an unknown
yea I kno im thinking on what im going to do. I wanted a dakota to but I would like to have a WRX to lol.. I dont kno if I get this job ill see how much cash I get from a good work week or whatever. And ill see if I can pay a WRX off or a truck im going more twords a truck tho. Not sure yet.
post #12 of 19 Old 02-10-2006, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Moe
WRXtuners Member

Moe is an unknown
OMG I found the sickest dodge ram for EBAY http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/52840...QQcmdZViewItem

THAT IS NICE!
post #13 of 19 Old 02-10-2006, 11:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Nice truck, supercharged too.

You might as well live next door to a gas station if you buy that. It's going to suck gas. Kind of like that esuvee.com comercial. !Laugh!

I'm with the other guys on the older Impreza. You could drive that for a while, save up some cash and then swap in a EJ20T.

Then you'd have a sweet ride.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #14 of 19 Old 02-11-2006, 12:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
Dakota R/T doesn't have a chance against a WRX off the line, low 2's 60' is a good time (2.229 being my best, most R/T's pull 2.1-2.2 on a good day). Reason being, it's a truck, and it's hard to hook off the line, because of no weight in the rear. Also, the Magnum engines are very good and reliable. I have the 5.2L in my truck and love it. Now, it's got no chance against the WRX, stock vs stock. But, here's the best idea:

If you're going for 98-01, get a 2000 or later, because they come with the 4.7L. If you're looking for performance and gas mileage, get the RC manual 4.7. Those can squeak into the 14's, which a stock R/T with the 5.9 won't do (most are around 15.2-15.3 in the 1/4 stock). Auto vs auto, the 4.7 will run about the same as the 5.9 R/T. Big difference is the gas mileage. With the R/T, you'll probably be lucky to get 15mpg hwy. With the 4.7, looking at 20ish (both those numbers are being gentle on it of course). Maybe loose .5-1mpg with a club cab, and some more if it's 4x4. If you go with 4x4 or club cab, don't bother with the V6. The extra weight is to much for the V6, so it gets no better mileage, often even worse mileage, than the V8, plus tons slower. Oh yeah, the R/T is only rated to tow 2000lbs, no 4x4, and auto only.

If you have to go older due to costs, I'd still stick with the V8, but lean more towards the 5.9L (R/T). The 5.2L is a tough motor that's been tried and tested for the last 30+ years, it's bullet proof as they say. However, a stock 5.2L with a manaul and RC trim *might* squeak into the 15's. Mine has run a best of 15.42 (97, CC, auto, 2wd - 4200 lbs), but does get 19-20mpg hwy, but stock it gets around 16.5mpg hwy, 13-14 city. Oh yeah, mine has 153k+ on the stock engine now

From what you're saying, I think your best bet is a RC 4.7L, auto, 4x4. It'll probably run high 15's to low 16's in the 1/4, and get up to 18/19mpg hwy.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-11-2006, 12:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe
OMG I found the sickest dodge ram for EBAY http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/52840...QQcmdZViewItem

THAT IS NICE!
OH yeah, big time guzzler. If you're not in the boost, you *might* see 13mpg tops on that beast :eek:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement