the daily driver thread - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 41 Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
My WRX was my daily...til the motor blew...then i decided i need another car so I bought a 99 Ford Ranger for now but am in the process of either buying a Civic Bubble or either a new Z or S2k by june...any input is gladly appreciated

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 Old 02-20-2009, 08:04 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
What type of input are you looking for? About your choice of another car? Are you still keeping the WRX?

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #18 of 41 Old 02-20-2009, 08:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
well yeah im keeping the wrx...but i need a daily thats N/A yet also sporty b/c i would just keep uping the boost if it wasn't...and yeah i kinda need input on getting a new car

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #19 of 41 Old 02-20-2009, 04:07 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If it were me choosing between either a Z (Im guessing a 350Z) or an S2K, I would go with the S2K. Better gas mileage and cheaper parts for the most part. That is if you are looking at a minimum a couple bolt ons (i.e exhaust, intake).

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #20 of 41 Old 02-20-2009, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
well yeah im keeping the wrx...but i need a daily thats N/A yet also sporty b/c i would just keep uping the boost if it wasn't...and yeah i kinda need input on getting a new car
IMO Yor daily driver should be functional for things you do every day. You already have the WRX. You shouldnt something sporty unless you drive a racecar every day. This is just my opinion though.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #21 of 41 Old 02-21-2009, 08:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

well...for me a functional car just needs to get me from A to B...and with my future plans for my wagon it would really make it difficult to be a daily...and i want to stay sporty everyday which is why im looking at cars like the Z and S2K

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #22 of 41 Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Sounds like you know what you want. What kind and year of z (350 or 370)? There is a sweet nismo edition at the stealership close to me. I think the sticker on it says like $40,000. Damn it is nice though. It has every nismo accessory you could imagine. Z's are just average in my opinion except for this one. That is a tough decision between a s2k and z. Good luck! Oh yeah, I performed maintenance on my truck today. Bought pcv valve, 3 quarts differential oil, platinum plugs, floor mats, distrubitor cap, rotor button, differential cover gasket, thermostat, water neck gasket, gasket sealer, transmission filter and gasket, 5 quarts atf fluid, rachet straps, fuel filter and 2 gallons of antifreeze. I wanted to do all this maintenance because who knows when the last time these things were replaced/performed. I spent all doy drinking beer and working on the truck. Damn these older american V8 trucks are easy to work on and parts are cheap. I am used to working on japanese cars. I have a very little bit to do tommorow then I am finished. I hope this makes it run smoother and gives me better gas mileage. I reccomend that anybody getting a used daily driver perform a thorough tune up on it because, like I said you never know when the last time it was done.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #23 of 41 Old 05-31-2009, 11:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

I used to have a PSM bugeye as my daily but now I have this UK glory FTW!!!
2001 Evo VII

Cell Phone Pic FTL
Attached Images

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #24 of 41 Old 05-31-2009, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
So I've decided it's time to get a DD and keep the WRX as the weekend warrior/bad weather car. I'm debating between the new Cobalt SS and the V6 Genesis Coupe.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #25 of 41 Old 05-31-2009, 01:13 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
To be perfectly honest, the WRX is a much better daily driver than either of those and both of those make better weekend warriors than the WRX

The genesis coup is a nice project/weekend car. You can probably swap in an EVO engine and make some ridiculous power to the rear wheels. 500rwhp should be relatively cheap on those puppies (<15k). Not much fun on a rainy day but great for summer weekends.
post #26 of 41 Old 05-31-2009, 02:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Those genesis coupe's are beautiful. Hyundai has really stepped it up a notch.

Get the sporty one and you get Brembo's and 19's. Plus 306 HP. Hyundai's are reliable too, and the best part is it's not a Chevy

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #27 of 41 Old 05-31-2009, 02:42 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The 306hp is the 3.8L NA V6. The Turbo is a 2.0L that shares the same basic design as the evo and puts down about 260 I think. Still, simple exhaust and tuning mods on the turbo should make it faster than the v6 for less money. You know the warranties on those cars are going to be bullshit anyway.

Hundai is really going to gain a lot from it's joint venture with mitsu and chrysler on the 2.0L turbo.
post #28 of 41 Old 05-31-2009, 08:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I just don't know about the Hyundai Genesis. I think that's a car I might eventually have to force myself to like. Every time I see one in a magazine article, I cringe just a little bit. I don't know why, but I can't help it. Something about it just seems... wrong. Call me close-minded, but I just don't like them right now. I think the fact that it's indirect competition for the WRX has a little something to do with it too.

John
07 WRX
post #29 of 41 Old 05-31-2009, 10:06 PM

I like this new venture Hyndai has going on. It might be some stiff competiton in many of the race forums here real soon.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #30 of 41 Old 05-31-2009, 10:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

After test driving both the V6 and Turbo coupes before I bought the Evo...I would have to say the V6 is by far the better car...especially with the brembos...plus it just feels more balanced...and I researched the turbo model and found out that it basically has an engine based off of the version of the 4B11 found in the 2.0 equiped lancers minus the MIVEC and with a TD04 slapped on it...also I found out that this is a completely open deck motor unlike the evo which is Semi-Closed and made out of a aluminium/magnesium based compound

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt