Borla, you have failed me - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-27-2009, 02:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
Borla, you have failed me

now...a while back i just got everything on black thunders exhaust done and working fine. turn on my car today to hear this loud disturbing hiss. i get out and look under my car there is a crack in the pipe of the exhaust and i really dont know how that happened, anywayi asked a friend of mine where he got his exhaust. so he sent me a link to the exhaust he has on his 02. it sounds exactly how i want my wrx to sound but its an ebay exhaust. i asked him if hes had any problems with fitment or anything. he said no and just to buy better gaskets from rallysportdirect.com and that was it. hes had his car for almost 4 years with no problems. i think ima get it. it is a can with a 5" tip and im ok with that and it has a slight angle to it and i am also ok with it. i just want my wrx to sound like its supposed to. with the nice deep rumble that isnt raspy and thats actually audible. i couldnt hear my whisper exhaust compared to my friends. his isnt super loud at all but its audible and thats what i want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2009, 04:16 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
A friend of mine with a Focus put a borla on it. The thing rusted in a few months, stainless exhaust. CHEAP stainless that is.. Well he sent it back and they sent him a new one, well same thing happened a few months latter.. After long talks with the rep he got a full refund.. He was not happy..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#3 Old 09-27-2009, 04:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

well when i get my check this week im gona buy that ebay exhaust and the gaskets and scrap the borla one at a metal recycle place or something. its a POS to say the least
#4 Old 09-27-2009, 06:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
How long ago did you get it? Was it through a certified dealer for Borla, you might be able to get money out of them if it was.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#5 Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

i got the exhaust when i first got my car. it fit the stock dp no problem. but after i got my massive dp. there was fitment issues. had to weld in 2ich more of pipping so it would fit, then i had to get a new doughnut gasket then blah blah blah. im just gona get rid of it and buy an exhaust that fits the 3" exit of the dp
#6 Old 09-27-2009, 11:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ouch! Sounds like you're dropping lots of cash on this exhaust setup...

$ - first aftermarket cat back
$ - aftermarket dp
$ - custom welded pipe
$ - donut gasket
$ - second aftermarket cat back

Unfortunately, this sounds like another case of I should have bought quality parts in the first place

John
07 WRX
#7 Old 09-27-2009, 11:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

well kinda not really. this is what i spent on the exhaust:

$95 - first aftermarket cat back
$100 - aftermarket dp(which ive had no problems with)
$20 - custom welded pipe
$25 - donut gasket
$179 + shipping/handling- second aftermarket cat back

this time around ill be getting a catback that will fit my car with no problems because ill be buying a full 3" cb and gaskets. plus a cb that is made to fit aftermarket down pipes. rather than stock. which is why i have had so many problems with the one thats on there now.

on a side note. went to a body shop today that my friend recommended me to go get my trunk done. he said it would cost me $200 for taking of the badge, bondoing it and repaint it and smoothing out where the clear coat peeled off. on further inspection he looked astonished and told me that my trunk was clear coated twice and started peeling clear coat off my trunk lock. crazy stuff....
#8 Old 09-28-2009, 08:18 AM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Nice, some one else got a "Cheap" fix on it or did you get the car new? How deep is the recess for the badge? I would rather see him remove the badge, weld in a slug, then smooth with bondo. This will last a longer and be less likely to crack like just filling in the recess with bondo..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#9 Old 09-29-2009, 12:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

when i go im gona ask him how hes gona fill in the 2 holes behind the badge. hopfully hell weld a plate or something so that the holes will be flush with the rest of the trunk then just bondo over. currently my trunk and my grill are 2 very large eye sores. its gona take time and money before my car is looking/sounding like i want it to.
#10 Old 10-01-2009, 06:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

new exhaust on the way!

just bought a full 3" exhaust with thick gaskets and all necessary hardware. i cant wait to put it on. ill be sure to take a video of before and after i put it on. im excited
#11 Old 10-01-2009, 09:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Don't care to name drop? or was it a ebay special?
#12 Old 10-01-2009, 10:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

ERZ performance
#13 Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I've had my Borla for 4 years now in Chicago, so it's covered in salt about 6 months out of the year. Mine still looks great.

It bolted right up to the stock DP and the Cobb DP.

They do make a 3 inch adapter for it if you want to run it with another DP (e.g. Invidia or Perrin). It was $50 at fastwrx.com. I bought it thinking I was going to run a Perrin DP, but then I got a great deal on a used Cobb.

Anyway, Borla has a lifetime warranty so you can send it in and they will send you a new one. You can always sell it if you're convinced you don't want to run the Borla anymore.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#14 Old 10-02-2009, 08:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

well i didnt get the exhaust system new, i got it used. also i already ordered my new exhaust. ill probably just keep the borla and put it in my garage, next to my stock dp and sti cat back.