The big decision - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 05:40 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Every dyno I've used registered stock STi's around 210whp. Using that calculation, 500bhp should only be 350whp on a mustang dyno. Eh, you're right that's a little high but it's probably not too far from there. Stage 2 + race gas and an aggressive tune is often pretty close to 350whp even with stock turbo.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 05:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I would guess 450bhp is feasible on an absolutely maxed out stock snail, but even then you need a lot more than a "stock" car do it. Stock turbo, not much else.

Plus we can get into the drivetrain loss is fixed vs a percentage vs increases but not at a fixed amount as power is increased. I try to average the percentage for a stock vehicle and the actual hp loss.... 305bhp = 210whp, 32% loss or 95 hp. So if you get your car to 350whp, you could assume +32% or 165 hp (which is ridiculous). If you average the new 32% value with the original 95 hp you get a loss of 130... Even that seems too high. Whatever.

-Chris
post #18 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Trevvrx is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
I would guess 450bhp is feasible on an absolutely maxed out stock snail, but even then you need a lot more than a "stock" car do it. Stock turbo, not much else.

Plus we can get into the drivetrain loss is fixed vs a percentage vs increases but not at a fixed amount as power is increased. I try to average the percentage for a stock vehicle and the actual hp loss.... 305bhp = 210whp, 32% loss or 95 hp. So if you get your car to 350whp, you could assume +32% or 165 hp (which is ridiculous). If you average the new 32% value with the original 95 hp you get a loss of 130... Even that seems too high. Whatever.
I'd say that seems about correct though, high but sounds spot on. A stock bug eye dynos about the 160's so from the 227bhp that is roughly 30%
post #19 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 07:54 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The percentage of loss defenately goes down as the power level goes up. There's always some percentage component. It's probably not a linear relationship between bhp and whp on any drivetrain. Dynos also have varying quirks in how they measure based on torque which in many ways do not correctly simulate a flat road (they have mass) which further complicate the correction factors. It's why in many ways, bhp is meaningless. At least if you put two cars on the same dyno, you can compare them but quoting anything in bhp is rather silly. New cars shouldn't be allowed to do it.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #20 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Trevvrx is an unknown
never thought of it that way but makes more sense. I have a question for you guys it's kind of a tech question sorta. So say I ended getting a low mileage ej257 and all other necessary components to swap into my bug eye would it be possible to swap my ej20 into a justy? I'm sure a lot of custom fabrication would be needed and i know all the drive-train would need replaced yadda yadda yadda. but could the engine itself actually fit? now i know it may be in the wrong area to ask but its not a super serious question. Just kinda curious if anyone knows because I think if it could work I might try it. Could be fun project right?
post #21 of 25 Old 10-01-2010, 09:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I had 355 to the wheels in my 07sti with meth and several other upgrades.... on the stock snail.... And I don't think that was tuned TOO aggresive....

Of course THAT'S not around anymore because of moving boulders.... haha

Mosc nailed it.... It can be a bit higher on an aggresive tune...

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #22 of 25 Old 10-01-2010, 09:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

lovinboostsmp is an unknown
I am not even sure why this is on the cutting block?
post #23 of 25 Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^Whatchoo talkin bout Willis?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #24 of 25 Old 10-04-2010, 03:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It looks like a fugly cheap wide body mods and roll bar. Vermont SportsCar which is who mods Subaru's Rally America cars...show you how a roll bar should look in a STI. Plus, it definatly looks like it's been detuned and rode hard. I'm glad that you walked away from it...

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #25 of 25 Old 10-08-2010, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Trevvrx is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
It looks like a fugly cheap wide body mods and roll bar. Vermont SportsCar which is who mods Subaru's Rally America cars...show you how a roll bar should look in a STI. Plus, it definatly looks like it's been detuned and rode hard. I'm glad that you walked away from it...
jesus now that's what I call a cage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement