Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   The Hangout (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Awesome deal for motor oil at Amazon.com (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/awesome-deal-motor-oil-amazon-com-33090/)

man show 10-01-2012 04:10 PM

Awesome deal for motor oil at Amazon.com

For those of you who use "good" oil in your engine, you are probably somewhat familiar with the current prices. Now that my rebuilt engine is broken in, I can no longer use Royal Purple's break-in oil. From this point forward, it was recommended that I use Motul 5W-40 or any other comparable, high-quality oil of that weight. Unfortunately, I haven't found any local auto parts stores that carry high quality synthetic oil on their shelves, so I was left with the option to either commute to the nearest performance shop or purchase the oil online.

Dun du du duunnnnnn!!! Amazon.com to the rescue! I found out that I can buy a case of four 5 L Motul 8100 5W-40 X-Cess containers for $145.97 with FREE shipping. It may take 5-8 business days, but who cares? At this rate, I'm only paying $36.49 per oil change (plus a few bucks for a filter) for some of the best oil you can get! Plus, I don't have to buy it again for another 12,000 miles ;)

Can anybody beat that deal?

mosc 10-01-2012 04:31 PM

Yeah, dyno oil from the gas station across the street.

:P

What's with all the 5w40 rec's lately?

man show 10-01-2012 05:00 PM

5w30 vs 5w40: both have the same cold start characteristics, but because my car has a good bit more power than a stock WRX and slightly looser clearances in the rebuilt engine, the slightly heavier operating temperature weight is preferred so the oil will still provide a good level of protection when I get a little crazy with it because it naturally shears down a little bit in harsh conditions... or so I'm told.

mosc 10-01-2012 05:15 PM

See here I thought you were going to say extra protection from the absurd amount of sound waves kicking out from your EWG dump tube. Thanks for the clarification!

turmic 10-01-2012 11:09 PM

I used to run Motul 8100 X-Max 5w-30. I'm now running AMSoil 10w-40 Premium Protection High Zinc Formula. I'm like the opposite of Daniel. LOL. Some of the most expensive oil out there...but High Zinc is good and bad. Good for your engine and bad for your CAT if your engine burns a decent amount of oil. Thats what I was told by the local shop that sells AMSoil...the guy is like 60-70s age range and seems to know his stuff about oil.

man show 10-02-2012 07:49 PM

Interesting. Royal Purple engine break-in oil has high levels of Zinc and Phosphorus. Not too sure about the Motul.

turmic 10-02-2012 09:15 PM

Motul has good levels of Zinc. The AMSoil High Zinc...is just what it says. Its a high level of Zinc in the oil.

pzr2874 10-03-2012 06:28 AM

Hey John, after your first OCI at 3K send in an UOA to Blackstone. I bet that oil will and can go 4500K without a problem. I know, you're like me.... but I've seen if it stays in there a little longer it actually helps a bit (car specific). Then the second time do it at 3500, 3rd-4000, 4th-4500.....etc

Can you provide a link? All lazy, but I can't get on Amazon here at werk. I'm interested as well.

man show 10-04-2012 09:20 AM

That's not a bad idea. I was actually thinking about doing that after my second 3k oil change with Motul so I can let the last bit of RP break-in oil that was sitting in the pan mix up and drain out. I've never done an oil analysis before, so I'm not sure what I should be looking for specifically in terms of numbers or chemistry. Do they provide a written analysis for the layman so I don't have to do all kinds of research?

And believe it or not, I can't find the specific link where I got my oil on Amazon any more. The best I found was one 5 L container for $44.17 and a case of four 5 L containers for $238.00 ($59.50 each). I'm guessing the place I got mine from sold out. Hopefully they'll get more.

BoostinChick 10-04-2012 10:12 AM

I may check out Motul, I loved their gear oil. I have been using Rotella T6 since my 1st oil change off warranty. Can pick it up at Wally World for cheap. Oil changes usually cost me ~$25 since I buy bulk for the Subaru filters.

pzr2874 10-04-2012 10:48 AM

[quote=man show;286282]That's not a bad idea. I was actually thinking about doing that after my second 3k oil change with Motul so I can let the last bit of RP break-in oil that was sitting in the pan mix up and drain out. I've never done an oil analysis before, so I'm not sure what I should be looking for specifically in terms of numbers or chemistry. Do they provide a written analysis for the layman so I don't have to do all kinds of research?

And believe it or not, I can't find the specific link where I got my oil on Amazon any more. The best I found was one 5 L container for $44.17 and a case of four 5 L containers for $238.00 ($59.50 each). I'm guessing the place I got mine from sold out. Hopefully they'll get more.[/quote]

Go here John to see what they can supply.

[url=http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=3&page=1]Used Oil Analysis - Gasoline - Bob Is The Oil Guy[/url]

Thanks.

man show 03-20-2013 10:24 AM

Just wanted to let you guys know that I beat my last deal by $4.88... $141.09 (still with free shipping). Amazon.com is great! And the best part is that now I have a few extra bucks to splurge on some decent oil filters :D