Any electronics hobbyists? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Any electronics hobbyists?

My work has me primarily working with power electronics. However, I always enjoyed electronic circuit design (like IC level). As an attempt to refresh some of my schooling and broaden my skills, I've been giving myself random projects to work on. I just wanted to see if there are others here, share some projects you've worked on, etc. Other than a handful of coworkers, none of my friends ever know what I'm talking about so I can't even ask opinions or share when I finally get something to work.

Most recently, I've been building small Li-Ion/Po chargers, PIC programming, some audio circuits, and PCB design. Right now I'm looking into home reflow soldering for surface mount components.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Vew

No one eh? Well, couldn't post this stuff from work, but here are a few projects I've been working on. Photos and video.

A very simple battery charger based off Maxim's MAX1555 chip

IMG_8163 by vew82, on Flickr

Audio sync circuit made to listen to ambient noise thru an amplified microphone, separate the sounds into high, med, and low, then pulsing lights accordingly. Based off National's LM4970 chip & Microchip's PIC18 series of MCUs.

IMG_8156 by vew82, on Flickr

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#3 Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Looks like my Sophomore electronics project. See, the professor put together a list of about 50 or so circuits we could build and he had a joke listing in the middle of it "death ray". My partner and I claimed that one on the list and went about making a death ray. Basically, we put a speaker out the end of a paper towel tube and attached it to a shoe box with a breadboard in it. LED's out the side would strobe in time with the 555 timer based frequency generator (basically played a sine wave exponential curve resetting every second or so). We even built an RF remote (basically just an RF diode that had a button connecting it to a battery and a light receiver on the death ray) to fire it off. World domination didn't pan out though, fair warning. Good times...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 05-04-2012, 05:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^LOL ..... tsk tsk tsk

Jon, you make LED's for car bulbs?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#5 Old 05-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Vew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Looks like my Sophomore electronics project. See, the professor put together a list of about 50 or so circuits we could build and he had a joke listing in the middle of it "death ray". My partner and I claimed that one on the list and went about making a death ray. Basically, we put a speaker out the end of a paper towel tube and attached it to a shoe box with a breadboard in it. LED's out the side would strobe in time with the 555 timer based frequency generator (basically played a sine wave exponential curve resetting every second or so). We even built an RF remote (basically just an RF diode that had a button connecting it to a battery and a light receiver on the death ray) to fire it off. World domination didn't pan out though, fair warning. Good times...
Haha, reminds me of this.
Green Laser Pointer, Blue, Red, Purple Lasers | Wicked Lasers

I can't even remember what we did for projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post

Jon, you make LED's for car bulbs?
Haha, no. But I did get my hands on some cheap 1W LEDs I was gonna build a light bar for my friend's off duty vehicle which happens to be an STi.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#6 Old 05-07-2012, 09:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Electrical engineering was 50% of the reason I changed my major away from computer science.
#7 Old 05-07-2012, 07:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
I install home theaters for a living and have for the past 11 years, but that's a little out of my realm. Cool stuff though.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.