Any avid grillers/BBQers? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 Old 06-19-2008, 07:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
Check this is out Throw 4 whole tomatoes, 2 jalapenos, 1 habanero on the que, and grill em till the tomatoes are pretty much black on the outside. Throw in a food processor with a half a diced raw onion, add some garlic, cilantro, lime and salt and you have some killer salsa. Be sure to cool it in the fridge before eating and beware when you take a dump the next day. Can you say ring of fire?

I hope people are trying these out, because I'm sharing all my secrets with the family here. It would be cool to get feedback on recipes we tried shared from the fellow subie nuts here. Dumdums onions are going down tonight!

Still love my 4 rings, but now all I see is stars.
White Collar Hippie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 Old 06-19-2008, 11:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
My advice if you try to grill whitefish is to make a rectangular "tray" with tinfoil and cook the fish in that, with the BBQ lid closed. The foil between the grill and the fish will help to keep the fish from drying out (flaky and buttery texture is ideal). Of course you can always completely wrap the filets in their own tinfoil "packages." Used to always do that with salmon filets...

I like cutting up boneless short ribs into thin strips, marinating them overnight (in whatever you want), and cooking them on the grill Korean BBQ style. They can be cooked in less time that it takes to make the rice!

(time to add a drooling smilie)

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #18 of 34 Old 06-21-2008, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger_lee View Post
Check this is out Throw 4 whole tomatoes, 2 jalapenos, 1 habanero on the que, and grill em till the tomatoes are pretty much black on the outside. Throw in a food processor with a half a diced raw onion, add some garlic, cilantro, lime and salt and you have some killer salsa. Be sure to cool it in the fridge before eating and beware when you take a dump the next day. Can you say ring of fire?

I hope people are trying these out, because I'm sharing all my secrets with the family here. It would be cool to get feedback on recipes we tried shared from the fellow subie nuts here. Dumdums onions are going down tonight!
Do you remove the char off the tomatoes or leave them on? I might have to take an inverter and do this at a tailgate.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #19 of 34 Old 06-21-2008, 12:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Anyone stuck a beer up a chickens ass before ?

The recipe I have for salmon filets is :

marinate it in olive oil and soy sauce for a few hours, then straight on the grill for 30 minutes or so on low to mid low coals. Add pepper and salt. Maybe a little lemon. Voila, tender, tasty and easy w/rice pilaf. The olive oil almost prevents it from sticking to the grill

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #20 of 34 Old 06-21-2008, 01:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vew View Post
Do you remove the char off the tomatoes or leave them on? I might have to take an inverter and do this at a tailgate.
Leave it. Its good flavor. Don't totally blacken them, just mostly blackened. You can use more or less tomatoes or peppers depending on how much you want or how hot you want it. The ratio I gave will probably melt your brain, but I like it hot. If you want to get creative throw a bell pepper, whole, on the grill to add in (de-seed before chopping). Changes it a bit and they grill to a nice flavor. As long as you have the basics of salsa, you can change it up however. The grill is key though.

Edit: If you throw the chiles in into the processor whole it will be hotter because of the seeds.

pzr - The same brother that turned us on to "Slap Ya Mama" hooked us up with the drunken chicken idea. He keisterd apple juice too. His cook method was a 3-4 hours in a smoker, indirect heat.

Dumdums onions killed last night by the way.

White Collar Hippie
post #21 of 34 Old 06-21-2008, 02:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Leave it. Its good flavor. Don't totally blacken them, just mostly blackened. You can use more or less tomatoes or peppers depending on how much you want or how hot you want it. The ratio I gave will probably melt your brain, but I like it hot. If you want to get creative throw a bell pepper, whole, on the grill to add in (de-seed before chopping). Changes it a bit and they grill to a nice flavor. As long as you have the basics of salsa, you can change it up however. The grill is key though.

Edit: If you throw the chiles in into the processor whole it will be hotter because of the seeds.

pzr - The same brother that turned us on to "Slap Ya Mama" hooked us up with the drunken chicken idea. He keisterd apple juice too. His cook method was a 3-4 hours in a smoker, indirect heat.

Dumdums onions killed last night by the way.
Where is the recipe...... ?? Leave a MF hangin......

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #22 of 34 Old 06-21-2008, 02:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

^^1st page chief^^

White Collar Hippie
post #23 of 34 Old 06-22-2008, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Vew

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Anyone stuck a beer up a chickens ass before ?

YES. I actually had a beer can chicken competition with one of my sister's friends. I found out though it doesn't matter what kind of liquid is in the can. Doesn't help with flavor. Here's my take on the recipe.

Brine
1 cup of kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2-4 cans of chicken broth
2 tablespoons of whole black peppercorns
1 onion sliced in big pieces
few cloves of garlic

Bring all to a boil, then cool with ice cold water until it's ATLEAST room temperature. Don't put the chicken in hot. You'll end up cooking it. Leave it in the brine in the fridge for 3 hours. Although I consider this step optional. It gives the actual meat a lot of needed flavor and adds some extra moistness. I can explain, but I'll the tech reasoning out for now.

I made this rub on my own. Took 2 tailgating seasons to perfect. I don't share it with many people so here's to the Subaru family. This rub could win a BBQ competition I'm so confident in it. Not only it is spicy, smoky, and full of flavor, it has a nice sweet edge to it.

My Almost Heaven BBQ Rub
REMOVED
you may contact me personally for it

Rub it on (after brining of course). Make sure the chicken is dry before rubbing it on. Let it set for several hours in the fridge. When ready to cook, bring to almost room temperature. Cook indirect heat with an aluminum can half full after punching extra holes up top and stick it up the rear. Cook upright like a tripod for 45-1 hour depending on chicken size (smaller is better).

Jon
RIP Colin McRae

Last edited by Vew; 10-07-2010 at 04:29 PM.
post #24 of 34 Old 06-26-2008, 02:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

^^rub sounds !!DANK!! Vew^^^ Cant wait to try it, and I will.

Have any of you guys used those wood grilling planks for either meat/fish or pizza? I have heard BBQ wood plank pizza is the kill. Never tried it. Anyone? Tips?

White Collar Hippie
post #25 of 34 Old 06-26-2008, 04:14 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The best BBQ rub in the history of humanity:

1 part* chili pounder
*parts to taste

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #26 of 34 Old 06-26-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Vew

Quote:
^^rub sounds !!DANK!! Vew^^^ Cant wait to try it, and I will.

Have any of you guys used those wood grilling planks for either meat/fish or pizza? I have heard BBQ wood plank pizza is the kill. Never tried it. Anyone? Tips?
I grill pork loin and tenderloin on ceder planks. I get mine from Lowes. I buy a long 6" wide piece and have it cut into 1.5' lengths. So I get a bunch for 10 bucks. UNTREATED PLANKS!! Which should be the only ones there because isn't that the point of using ceder? (natural bug deterant). Soak it in water with a weight on it for at least an hour. Grill over direct heat.

I've also done BBQ chicken pizza, but I used a pizza stone that I put in the grill. According to Bobby Flay, you can grill directly over the grates too. Just be careful not to burn it.

Can't wait to hear what you think about the rub!

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
post #27 of 34 Old 06-26-2008, 04:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

I have done Salmon over cedar before.....

* quick tip......

OPEN flame + cedar w/salmon on it = smelly vagina burnt to a crisp.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #28 of 34 Old 06-26-2008, 08:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
I have done Salmon over cedar before.....

* quick tip......

OPEN flame + cedar w/salmon on it = smelly vagina burnt to a crisp.
makes me want to try it at a party :eek::eek::eek:

on another note, I love the fact that WRXtuners is my new cookbook...

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #29 of 34 Old 06-27-2008, 12:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cars and food are my addictions. One place, one love.

Vew. Rubs going down this weekend.

White Collar Hippie
post #30 of 34 Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Then again, I didn't wet it like you are supposed to...... The wood I mean. Gonna try that rub for 4th of july Vew. Hard to beat the (seasoned)meat down here in Texas.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3