Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   The Hangout (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Any avid grillers/BBQers? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/any-avid-grillers-bbqers-23538/)

Vew 06-18-2008 09:56 PM

Any avid grillers/BBQers?

It's the perfect season for it, and I figure some of us might be able to share some tips, recipes, or even offer some help. So, any stories, ideas, tips, or just BS is welcome.

My buddy's dad and I swap recipes back and forth and helps me plan my tailgates during football season. I do everything from making my own BBQ rub to my own BBQ sauces. I grill it all on my two Weber charcoal grills. No gas for me! But I know plenty of people that use gas and have great results.

I do have a great BBQ rub I have perfected over the course of two tailgating seasons that I'd be happy to share if people are willing to track down all the ingredients.

** If you use charcoal, don't go el cheapo please. Please wait until the coals are white, and NEVER USE LIGHTER FLUID **

I suppose I'll start it off. Need help with your burgers? I keep it simple, but I know a lot of different recipes. Although making your own patties are always best, I tend to favor the frozen ones for convince sake. Fire up your grill to high. Cover the grill as you grab the burgers to heat up the grate. Toss on the burgers and splash Worcestershire Sauce over the top of them. Doesn't have to coat every inch. Sprinkle on some kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and FRESHLY GROUND black pepper. wait until about 1/2 to 2/3 of the one side has cooked thru. Flip ONLY ONCE. Repeat with the seasonings. Cook until done. It takes practice to get them to be cooked just right. Took me many times between overcooked/dry and bloody raw when I started. Pull them off and let them rest in aluminum foil for a few minutes before serving.

NEVER press the spatula and squeeze out the juices in the patty.
Use 80/20 lean to fat beef ratio
Flair ups burn and over cook burgers. Use a spray bottle to eliminate flair ups. Or even better, when preparing the coals, dig out little holes so the burgers can be placed over them. That will eliminate the flair ups all together.

stagger_lee 06-18-2008 11:13 PM

I love to eat and cook! Let me throw in a little secret I learned from the smokers and grillers in South Central Los Angeles. These guys turn their VW bugs into smokers. If you like it hot check this stuff out. I go through about a case a year, and you get a personally signed thank you note from mama when you order. Kills burgers! Nice thread Vew your talking to my heart brother! :rocks:
[url=http://www.slapyamama.com]"Slap Ya Mama" Cajun Seasoning[/url]

I'm serious about food, and this stuff is serious seasoning.

Nice tips on the burgers Vew! I like to throw down Mexi Stylie burgers now and then and toss some diced jalapenos, cilantro and some onions in the mix. Crack an egg in there to keep em together before shaping the patty. !Thumbs Up Avocado and Tapatio to top the bun! I'm hungry now.

WRXKidid775 06-19-2008 03:47 AM

I bbq a lot. Gas grill but when we camp we always use charcoal. All the stuff I do works just as well on both. i dont get as into it as you though vew. I agree on not pressing on the patties. We have a bbq sauce out here that is pretty amazing in its self. Its called Sweet Baby Rays. Throw the burgers let them cook until the juices start to pool on the top flip um, brush on the sauce like you would on some chicken and let them cook till they get a little more juice on top and serve. best if you toss the buns on the grill not above the coals but off to the side for a couple minutes to get the nice toast to them.

One thing to try out on your burgers top is this stuff called Rib Rub. rub it on both sides of the patty then cook as I described above minus the bbq sauce and they always turn out well.

Bratwursts are always popular. We get em from my uncle who lives up in Michigan. Oh My Lanta! But if you do brats just remember to never use a poker on them! Ruins them, lets all the juices out. Always use tongs.

This makes me want to grill tomorrow. Maybe I will try to come up with a new concoction that I can share with you all.

Another odd thing I did was take some frozen french fries and put them on the upper portion of the grill that is elevated above the regular grilling surface, put the grill on medium low if you have gas close the top then let them sit for a little while and wala bbq fries! its hit or miss, sometimes they work out great and other times they taste like ass, I need to perfect it.

I vote this thred gets stickied!!

pzr2874 06-19-2008 05:47 AM

stagger, I have that stuff at my desk right now.... Use it on everything. HAAHHAHA

BC_Girl 06-19-2008 08:09 AM

When I went to New Orleans last November I stayed with my friend's aunt and her husband, who is Brazillian. When they grill thier meat...be it steak, pork, or whatever tickles your fancy....they marinate it in nothing but rock salt. Marinate it for about an hour and then grill it on med. heat until cooked through. Only turn it once. When it comes off the grill it is sooooo tender, and it's not salty at all. They did it with a big portebella mushroom too and it was delicious. They served it like communion (sp?). They sliced it up and passed around the cutting board and you just take a peice and pass it around until it's gone. Good times! :)

Longshot 06-19-2008 08:15 AM

Yeah sticky this baby....I love to grill. There are few things I enjoy as much as sitting on the deck on a warm evening with a cold beer grilling some steaks. My g/f's bro made some strip steak a few weeks ago with some rediculously good marinade, I need to find out what the hec he did.

stagger_lee 06-19-2008 09:22 AM

Speaking of beer, that works wonders on meat. I have also on several occasions marinated pork loin in Sunkist orange soda and BBQ sauce (Lucilles is the brand!) oh an slap ya mama, that is always fab. Something about the fizz makes meat soo tender. I love this thread!!

[B]pzr2874[/B] - I have a can stashed everywhere, in my truck, at work, at my buddys house, I'm addicted. You guys seriously have to check that stuff out.

pzr2874 06-19-2008 10:25 AM

A couple shots of Jack Daniels on a few steaks left in the fridge for 2 or 3 hours kicks as well on tougher meats like sirloin ribeye, and skirt.

Hey Kid, sounds like one of those late night "burnt" BBQ ideas. A little too much drinkin and puffin. HA

nagyhead 06-19-2008 02:24 PM

[QUOTE=stagger_lee;198864]Speaking of beer, that works wonders on meat. I have also on several occasions marinated pork loin in Sunkist orange soda and BBQ sauce (Lucilles is the brand!) oh an slap ya mama, that is always fab. Something about the fizz makes meat soo tender. I love this thread!!
[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a good idea, but I saw this on youtube, [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL_48wUQeXQ]YouTube - Coke + Pork = MAGGOTS![/url] and I will never eat pork again. Is it fake? I don't know nor do I care. No more pork for me. fithy animal any way.

My favorite thing to grill is corn on the cob. if you grill it with husk off on low heat, the sugars from the corn caramelize on give it so much flavor. I'm going to store to get some right now, along with a fat beef tenderloin.

WRXKidid775 06-19-2008 02:58 PM

[QUOTE=pzr2874;198868]

Hey Kid, sounds like one of those late night "burnt" BBQ ideas. A little too much drinkin and puffin. HA[/QUOTE]

If you have the grill too hot it will burn em pretty good. But if you are patient and have it real low most of the time it actually works. sometimes it just taste bad though if you cook them too fast or leave them on for too long.

I second the beer on the meat.

dumdum 06-19-2008 03:53 PM

Charcoal all the way baby!We grill at work almost everyday for luch and dinner.I swear by the Cowboy lump hardwood charcoal.Can be found at most Lowes and Home Depots.You use a starter and paper to get it going.No charcoal lighter fluid.I like using rubs alot and generally will coat the meat with olive oil before appling the rub.Seals in the juices and keeps the rub sticking but not the meat to the grill.Here is a great recipie for grill onions as well.If you like onoin rings,you will love these.I make them without the cayanne pepper.
[url=http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/685/Grilled-Vidalia-Onions111772.shtml]Grilled Vidalia Onions Recipe @ CDKitchen.com :: it's what's cooking online![/url]
[url=http://www.cowboycharcoal.com/]Cowboy Charcoal Co.[/url]

stagger_lee 06-19-2008 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=nagyhead;198885]That sounds like a good idea, but I saw this on youtube, [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL_48wUQeXQ]YouTube - Coke + Pork = MAGGOTS![/url] and I will never eat pork again. Is it fake?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Nagy. You're killing me. I'm done with pork too now..for awhile.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3IOvFA8LLE&NR=1]YouTube - What REALLY happens when you add Coke to raw pork.[/url]

How about peaches on the grill? Cut them in half, dose em with butter and brown sugar on the open halves and face down on the grill. BOMBSKI!

Thanks for the onion recipe Dumdum!! Looks killer.

zmanoside 06-19-2008 05:22 PM

There is some shit you east coast guys should try if you have never heard of it. Carne asada... Its very thinly sliced strips of marinated steak. It's super popular on the west coast and I love BBQ'ing it...just make sure you dont over cook it. If you have any local mexican markets in your area thats where you will find the good shit. Throw it in a flour tortilla with some rice, sour cream, guac and salsa and call it a day.

Z

Jave 06-19-2008 05:40 PM

I like to take a whole onion peel the top layer off and cut criss-crosses down to the roots and top with butter salt and pepper and for something different put a beef bouilon cube on it. Wrap in foil and cook. This works great on asparagus as well.

Steaks I like to use a 2 part marinade called Daddy Hinkles garlic and onion, never was one for mairinades until I tried that.

Vew 06-19-2008 05:53 PM

Sticked until someone complains. A lot of people tend to miss sticked threads.

Cool thing about natural or lump charcoal is that if you have access to hardwood and open area, you can make your own for practically nothing. It's a bit harder to work with. It has a really high peak temperature, but drops sharply after its useful life burns out. Great for burgers or steaks. Not so much for long grilling. I gotta eat dinner now, but I'll share some more later.