am i selling my car??? - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 08-11-2011, 12:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
Cwinterbower, I agree the Parts you have mentioned on the STI are better. In your opinion is it worth the extra 8-10 g's tho? I'm not sure it is. Let's start with the tranny, yes the 6 speed is supposed to be stronger but how much. The new 5 speeds have been proven to be plenty tough, the gearing is alot more fun to drive, and quite a bit lighter. I'd say unless you plan on having more then 500whp then the 5 speed will do just fine. Same with the dual AVCS unless your planing a huge build then it's not that big of a deal, not 8g's worth that's for sure. Then the brakes, yes the brembos are better but the stock brembos are not as good as a aftermarket set or another brand of BBK. Still not seeing the worth of the STI yet. Last the DCCD this is the only thing I would miss not having, I think this is the best part of the STI very fun to drive when you wanna get sideways. In the end is an STI a better buy? I'd say no and that's one of the few things I'd agree with syno about...lol

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-11-2011, 01:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
AP's are fake ass haha. Open source is the only way to tune correctly and it's cheaper. No I can't do an STI. $8000 more for something that's slower both at the drag and road racing, plus both need same upgraded parts because from the factory they handle like junk and are slow. In the end neighter are better yet one cost a lot more.
I was simply pointing out the errors in this statement. I never said it was a better buy. But when you rattle something down and say something to the effect of " they are both the same except one is more expensive"
I was just correcting that statement. I do not own an sti but I have driven and tuned them. They are nice rides
To treat it as an overpriced slower version is just not true.
#33 Old 08-11-2011, 02:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

^ agreed, but what do you think is a better purchase? If the plan is to mod both? Is the STI worth the extra money, or is it just for bragging rights?

#34 Old 08-11-2011, 05:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If you are going to go all out and balls to the wall, the STi is the better purchase.

Not that you were asking ME.... but that's the truth either way.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#35 Old 08-11-2011, 08:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Totally depends on what you are after. If we are talking cash and truly the "better buy", I would say probably the WRX, as you can mod here and there and eventually have nearly identical cars. I bought a WRX because I am a wrench turner and tuner and I can "street" a wrx to run just as well as an sti. But, if they were sitting there side by side at the same cost, it's a no brainer. Less things I have to purchase, o..and the wrx does not have limited slip, another thing I forgot. If money was 0 issue, the sti would still be the car to buy, just less work to get to the same place. In the end if you were building a true race car, they would end up the same, but for the weekend track guy (auto-x), if they don't want to "do much" to the car an sti is a better car. Again, I wasn't really arguing a case for the sti, I have just seen syno flame the sti on several occasions, and his posts read almost like "I don't have it, so I am gonna make you feel stupid for having it".
-Carl
#36 Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinterbower View Post
I was simply pointing out the errors in this statement. I never said it was a better buy. But when you rattle something down and say something to the effect of " they are both the same except one is more expensive"
I was just correcting that statement. I do not own an sti but I have driven and tuned them. They are nice rides
To treat it as an overpriced slower version is just not true.
I think you quoted wrong statement there cause nothing was wrong.

Most tuners and all I know like open source more-true
$8000 more-true
Slower than WRX-true even if by only .01 seconds
Both are horribly equipped with suspension, brakes, tunes etc.-true

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#37 Old 08-11-2011, 11:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinterbower View Post
Totally depends on what you are after. If we are talking cash and truly the "better buy", I would say probably the WRX, as you can mod here and there and eventually have nearly identical cars. I bought a WRX because I am a wrench turner and tuner and I can "street" a wrx to run just as well as an sti. But, if they were sitting there side by side at the same cost, it's a no brainer. Less things I have to purchase, o..and the wrx does not have limited slip, another thing I forgot. If money was 0 issue, the sti would still be the car to buy, just less work to get to the same place. In the end if you were building a true race car, they would end up the same, but for the weekend track guy (auto-x), if they don't want to "do much" to the car an sti is a better car. Again, I wasn't really arguing a case for the sti, I have just seen syno flame the sti on several occasions, and his posts read almost like "I don't have it, so I am gonna make you feel stupid for having it".
-Carl
But see your statements are "out there" or whatever you stated mine were. "less things you have to purchase". " nearly identical cars". "more work to get to same place". What part are you confused on that the WRX is a faster car? Do you like the STI more and does it give more feedback and stuff? Yes you do. But what's that matter when a test driver for any mag jumps in and can run the WRX faster. All your statements are in fact true but you need to switch the models that your talking about around.

#38 Old 08-11-2011, 09:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
If you are going to go all out and balls to the wall, the STi is the better purchase.

Not that you were asking ME.... but that's the truth either way.
Please elaborate, I'm talking new. PRE 09's I see the worth just in the tranny but the new trannies have been proven to be plenty tuff on multiple builds. I just don't see 8-10g's. What in your eyes makes the STI a better purchase?.....I want to believe as I've always preferred the sti. If they made new sedans when I bought my car I'd probably have one.

#39 Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'm surprised mosc hasn't chimed in. I remember after he got his STI, he was all about telling people how and why it is the superior car.

#40 Old 08-12-2011, 05:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
The STi is Suabrus flagship car, like the Vette is to GM, so of course it's going to have all the best stuff. Truth is though when are you going to use the big brakes, or stiffer suspension in everyday driving. Truth be told I wouldn't buy the STi unless you were going to be racing the car on a serious basis all the time. Nothing against the STi, but most people will never use the full potential of the car and to me that's just a waste, when you could save yourself some cash and be just as happy with the WRX with a few bolt ons and a good tune.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#41 Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
The STi is Suabrus flagship car, like the Vette is to GM, so of course it's going to have all the best stuff. Truth is though when are you going to use the big brakes, or stiffer suspension in everyday driving. Truth be told I wouldn't buy the STi unless you were going to be racing the car on a serious basis all the time. Nothing against the STi, but most people will never use the full potential of the car and to me that's just a waste, when you could save yourself some cash and be just as happy with the WRX with a few bolt ons and a good tune.
I completely agree with this post, (I was trying to let this post die because it has sooo many bogus facts in it ). Again, the only reason I ever said anything at all is because, saying the STI doesn't have anything on the WRX is like saying the GT doesn't have anything on the base model. It's just silly. I completely agree you probably get more bang for your buck with the WRX, but it is NOT a faster car, in any sense of the word, unless you consider (shaving .1 second off because of an extra shift faster),without a little TLC. Again, ALL, I was saying is there IS a reason it is more expensive. Is it worth it? Maybe to someone, obviously not to most the readers that are posting in this thread, which is fine, again I was correcting the statement. And the, "any mag driver driving it faster" statement is simply not true, maybe getting it to 60 faster, or possibly getting it around a short track, were you shave a few seconds off from a gear or two. However, the STI has much more "track friendly" gear ratios, unless were talking drag strip "track", which I am not. I have seen several, 10+, where they have driven the WRX on the same race track as the STI and the STIi usually will outrun it by 5-10 seconds, these are 3 minute + actual race tracks. Not to mention Subaru testing at Neurenberg is considerably faster in an STI, again....do I think the WRX can be made to go just as fast as the STI? Probably, but to get, better tranny, limited slip, dccd, bigger brakes, stiffer suspension with beefier sway bars, you are going to pay for it, 8g's worth? Perhaps not, but again, it was not a WRX bashing post...
Please let it die!
-Carl

Apologies for the extra long messy post, but we gotta stop filling peoples heads with bogus facts!

Last edited by cwinterbower; 08-12-2011 at 05:22 PM.
#42 Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast2 View Post
I'm surprised mosc hasn't chimed in. I remember after he got his STI, he was all about telling people how and why it is the superior car.
Ok,
I'm going to go off the 07's ONLY as I have owned both. Also an 02WRX.

The STi rode, booked, handled better than my TR did (even with 7-8K in work/mods/upgrades I did on the TR). This is coming from an auto-x standpoint and on the street.

I had a sour taste in my mouth after the 5spd stripped gears on the TR and have nothing but good things to say of the 6 spd (aside from my MS3 which has the best box I've ever driven).

Engine wise the STi can handle a bit more abuse (aside from the pistons from what i've researched in the past).

For similar miles and same year... 6K difference (back then) hands down, the STi takes it. I never was a big fan of the DCCD and really, was my demise on the STi in the end.

09-11.... Not sure as I don't like them much anyways.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#43 Old 08-12-2011, 12:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Please elaborate, I'm talking new. PRE 09's I see the worth just in the tranny but the new trannies have been proven to be plenty tuff on multiple builds. I just don't see 8-10g's. What in your eyes makes the STI a better purchase?.....I want to believe as I've always preferred the sti. If they made new sedans when I bought my car I'd probably have one.

New ? 09-up... I can't see paying 8-10K more for a DD... But if you track it (whichever you choose) then the 8K is worth it. But I think a few others stated this fact as well.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#44 Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
I took the "all out" comment as like 100k and he's right. If you wanna go all out then I'd take dual avcs over single. Id take a built dog box tranny in the bigger 6 speed gear box etc. But point is that 8-10k more off the rip on something I'm not gonna drop 100k into the STI isn't worth it. PPG straight cut will be more than ok for me and my 5 speed that can handle 400-500hp. Same goes with single avcs and anything else.

#45 Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

^ I agree, like I said anything under 500whp the wrx will do just fine. If your building a monster and dumping exotic car type money into your build then 8 more g's for the STI is no big deal and then probably worth it....

Okay cwinterbower I'm down to let this thread die now, I think everyone has made their point/views clear.