Accident: insurance or pocket money? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-21-2007, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Accident: insurance or pocket money?

I got into an accident 2 days ago. It was purely my fault, no other party involved. I punched the throttle too early while exiting a right turn, understeered, and ran into a dirt wall. Almost all of the damage is located at the front driver's side, where I bent a control arm, popped a tire, scuffed (not bent) a wheel, scratched (no dents) the front bumper, fender, and both doors (again, on the driver's side). As far as I can tell, that's all the damage. I didn't want to get insurance involved at first, especially since I'm young (20), but if they pay for all the damages as well as labor (control arm install, mounting/balancing tires, alignment, paint), it might be worth the $500 deductible. The thing I'm worried about is my premium going up. I know not much can be said without knowing specifics, but do you guys think it'd be worth it to bring insurance into the picture?

Fyi I already have a set of tires lying around, as well as a pair of aluminum control arms I bought just yesterday. I'm capable of installing the control arms myself, so I could save some money there. I also might be able to get the bumper, fender, and doors painted for $100 each (group buy on nasioc). Keeping all that in mind, I'd probably end up with a lot of leftover cash from insurance, which I could use for other stuff... Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-21-2007, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

a.young is an unknown
Dont get the insurance co. involved if you dont have to . Your young and your rates will sky rocket . Sounds like very light damage just try to fix it out of your pocket.

stage 2 STi...and still not enough
post #3 of 7 Old 11-21-2007, 06:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
yea and i think insurance claims stay on your record for like 3 years. dont quote me i could be wrong. the difference that you will be paying in increased insurance and the deductible would probably be the same or if not more than if you fixed it yourself. just take out a small loan and fix it yourself if you dont have the funds.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #4 of 7 Old 11-21-2007, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

hi-power WRX is an unknown
fix it! dont get involve the insurance..its going up, espeacially your age.

Last edited by hi-power WRX; 11-26-2007 at 05:07 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-22-2007, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
thanks guys, I'll probably just try paying for it out of my own pocket.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-22-2007, 11:14 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
i would think if your control arm is bent, your crossmember that it attaches to may be bent as well.
I just replaced alot of the same parts on a car that hit on the passenger side, we ordered all the parts and when I went to bolt the the control arm on it woulndn't fit. visually the crossmember did not look bent. oh and the sway bar also needed replaced

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #7 of 7 Old 11-22-2007, 07:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
yea it does stay on there for three yearsm cause i got in an accident when i was 17(right after i just got from the court house for paying a speeding ticket in the protagey ) and in june of next year it will go off. rediculous. good thing my insurance will go down a bit