6mt in my WRX = Completed :D - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-27-2009, 05:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

daletron is an unknown
6mt in my WRX = Completed :D

just finished it today, and wow it feels good!
although i still have to get used to the gearing. the shifts are so tight, and the throw feels about half of my old 5 speed. I love how it just kinds clicks into gear.
I now have this feeling that my car is just tougher, its great :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2009, 05:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
that's great! do you have any pictures of the install?

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#3 Old 10-27-2009, 05:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

OBEE_Racing is an unknown
Ive been wanting to do the same! Where did you find/get your tranny?
Im stoked to do it after reading your post, too bad it might not be till next summer.lol.
Congrats on the install!
#4 Old 10-27-2009, 08:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

daletron is an unknown
nah i didnt get any pictures of the install, i can take one of the gear stick :P.

i got the box off a guy on another wrx forum, was lucky enough to be a direct fit to my rex, from the same year model but sti.
#5 Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Congrats man. Glad to hear you got the tranny in and loving it. I cant wait to get my PPGs in my this winter.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 10-27-2009, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Congrats

Note: His upgrade is probably a lot less of a head ache. Being that daletron is driving a JDM or EDM spec 02 wrx. A USDM 6MT trans swap isn't easy or inexpensive. Just so you know.
#7 Old 10-27-2009, 04:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

I didnt plan on it being so, but thanks. Im not planning on doing it too soon, I wanna get my engine project done then look into it. I havnt looked too much into the swap yet but I just know I read the wrx tranny is not realiable over 300hp.
#8 Old 10-27-2009, 06:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, but...gear set upgrades are generally easier to accomplish then a 6MT swap and cheaper. Unless you go all out on it...
#9 Old 10-27-2009, 06:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

What would you personally suggest? Would sticking with the stock tranny and just upgrading the flywheel and clutch be safe to handle the hp?..Hope Im not being to overwhelming on here, Im just trying to expain my knowledge on this stuff to further my interest.=P
#10 Old 10-27-2009, 06:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Don't do that. Stock gears ='s stock clutch. When I say gear set upgrades. I mean your upgrading the ineards of the trans...the gears. To gears that are built to withstand more punishment. PPGs, DSM1s gears, or Mfactory gears. PPGs being the most expensive. But, the best. I skipped this route with my STI upgrade. I can't comment on DSM1s gears. Mfactory and RA gears our only slightly stronger then stock though. RA gears barely stronger. Mfactory are stronger than RAs. But nothing that serious if your looking for a high hp setup. PPGs are going to be your best bet if you want some seriously tough gears. Other guys can comment on the price and which gear sets they've used though. PPGs are expensive though. You can do what you like though. Andrew over at AndrewTec that sells PPGs can set-up anything you want. You can get a $3,000 setup or go nuts and end up spending more than a 6MT swap. Its all in what your goals are and what you want.

Edit: Your not being over whelming...most of this knowledge is scattered about in these forums. If you search it, it will come (to you ) Haha...a field of dream reference.
#11 Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I love the quick click into gear, such short shifts. Makes me happy

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#12 Old 10-27-2009, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Turmic: Alright, awesome! thanks alot for the info!

Chase: Im jealous.lol. Sounds really nice!
#13 Old 10-27-2009, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
I love the quick click into gear, such short shifts. Makes me happy
Its definately different. I've owned both a wrx 5MT and obviously the 6 MT
#14 Old 10-27-2009, 08:42 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Another thing to consider about the Mfactory gears, at least for the older model years, the ratio is even shorter than the stock set up. A price guide for the PPGs...Im upgrading my 07 WRX to helical 1-4, stock 5th gear, just those 4 gears are about $3500, that doesnt include install, or a stage 3 clutch and flywheel Im getting also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#15 Old 10-27-2009, 11:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ok heres a definite NUBIE question. I would want shorter gears right? and when purchasing, (im assuming they have different numbers like how turbos are numbered) How do you tell which is gears are shorter or longer and know which is the right gear for me? Do you have an example if that'd be easier than to explain?