4th gear synchro took a poo on me - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-28-2010, 01:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
4th gear synchro took a poo on me

so pretty much i cannot down shift from 5th to 4th no matter how hard i try, but i can up shift from 1-6th no problem and down shift from 6-5 and 3-2. Mechanic said its not gona cause any future tranny problems and that its nothing really to worry about, especially since its a STI tranny (idk if i really believe him) but its something thats just gona bother me cause i now know that something is wrong with the tranny. this sucks..kinda

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2010, 08:37 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Damn you have some bad luck.
When you downshift from 5-4 try blipping the throttle to rev match the engine and transmission.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#3 Old 03-28-2010, 10:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I say if you decide to go in there to fix the snychs... might as well dump the 3500 for the ppg's....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#4 Old 03-28-2010, 12:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

its not really bad luck, more like a little bump in the road. the gear ratio on the 6speed is stupid close, so me not being able to down shift into 4th is not really a big deal, and yes ive allready tried rev matching and everything else possible. So yea im just gona address the issue later when i have money to actually get it fixed, but as for now im just gona keep modding away. When the time does come to get it fixed, ill be getting this MZM International Inc. - JDM 6-Speed Gearbox Upgrade Kit for STI, Gear Sets, JDM-6SPD-UPGRD that way i wont run into any future problems.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#5 Old 03-28-2010, 12:29 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I have a 5th syncro that is equally shot. Thanks for the link srninjastar

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 03-28-2010, 04:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

anything to help out a fellow WRX/STI enthusiast

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#7 Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I'm thinking the 04-05s have this problem and I'm hopeing to avoid it. !Notfunny!

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 03-30-2010, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

yea it only happens for 04-05 sti's. the syncrho's wear prematurely. there is a TSB from subaru that states this, but unless you have a warente on the car you gota pay $$$. infact, i went up to the dealership to see how much it would cost to get it fixed, just to tickle my pickle and they quoted me at #3000+ lol. pretty crazy. theres a local suby shop here in houston that quoted me at $1000. so im gona eventually get it fixed later on with them.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#9 Old 03-08-2011, 12:21 PM

Garage
FYI, I contacted MZM about this kit (basically killed my clutch so I figured might as well fix the 5th gear syncro while I was at it). They say they don't have any and haven't for some time and can't find them. Also, that old link is dead, here's the newer link:
JDM 6-Speed Gearbox Upgrade Kit for STI

but like I said, they don't have it.

I think I can use some syncros from a newer model year STi though, they should be stronger. I'll let you guys know what happens.

#10 Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Should be fine with synchros from a newer year. I can't remember what they did...but it was double cast or coated synchros starting the 06 year. I'd have to look it up again.

Edit: From what I am finding it. They carbon reinforced the 06 and up STI sychros. That's what I found on www.iwsti.com and nastysock.

Kirt
#11 Old 04-11-2011, 08:38 PM

Garage
so I finally got things under way fixing my syncro (and clutch). I took it to Rallispec, they really seem to know their stuff. They sell some gear upgrade options, but I decided against it. They have a nice kit which replaces 2-3-4 with taller gears for those that want more even ratios (and 60mph in 2nd). I'm having them replace the syncros and forks that need it, and went with a slightly stronger ACT heavy duty clutch (should have a stock like pressure plate so stock-ish driving, just stronger).

I'll keep you updated.

#12 Old 04-11-2011, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sounds like a good deal mosc. Its probably a shorter drive than to AndrewTech in MD. I'm sure other owners will be interested in your results.

Kirt
#13 Old 04-12-2011, 08:05 AM

Garage
I would probably take it to them too. When I talked to them they didn't work much on the 6-speeds though that might have changed as USDM STi's grew older. Rallispec does a lot of it's work on the US rally team cars and some local circuit racing teams which are both almost exclusively STi's so they've seen their share of 6-speeds. They commented in particular that the forks for the 6-speed get broken so frequently by the community, they bulk order them from Japan to save money.

#14 Old 04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Are the forks getting broke from bad/erroneous shifts or just hard shifts?

Hmm...interesting because Vermont SportsCar that preps the Rally America cars says that they put 5 speed short ratio gears in the OPEN class cars. Which is where all the high horsepower professionals race at. Well, they make two versions. One with a 6 speed and one with a KAPS 5 speed transmission. Interesting.

Vermont SportsCar VT9r Specs Open Class
Vermont SportsCar VT9sp Specs Super Production Class

Edit: Looked into it and found what each car was for class wise. Open being the high end and super production being right below it.

Kirt
#15 Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 AM

Garage
I know they don't do all the prep work. It's pretty much an engine and transmission repair.