Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   The Hangout (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   350Z v STi v GTO?? what do you think? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/350z-v-sti-v-gto-what-do-you-think-10032/)

jdmph2b 12-13-2005 12:31 AM

350Z v STi v GTO?? what do you think?

hi guys, i'm new here but wanted to get your opinions. i currently own a modded 350Z but don't want to turbo it out for another $15,000. thus, i may soon sell the car and am looking a getting either an STi or possibly a GTO. what are you opinions on these cars. i REALLY like the performance but don't want to spend an arm and a leg after getting the car. that's why i like the already-turbo'd STi's.

thanks so much in advance!

awd>fwd 12-13-2005 01:56 AM

GTO's suck, plus theyre american made which sucks. Just grab yourself an 05 STI and call it good!!Thumbs Up

02 WRX 12-13-2005 10:09 AM

[QUOTE=awd>fwd]GTO's suck, plus theyre american made which sucks. Just grab yourself an 05 STI and call it good!!Thumbs Up[/QUOTE]
?? yea right on... :pity:

too bad GTO runs the same times as the STI without awd and from a roll the GTO would stomp it hardcore.

depends what you're lookin for though. start modding the GTO and the STI, the GTO will make more power and be faster for cheaper. but then again it looks like a grand prix. and the STi is just overrated in my opinion. the new gto will prob hold it's value a little better than the subaru. don't wanna start another svt vs. sti, but that'd be a better decision to make. 03-04 cobra > GTO. all cars can be made very fast though. if i was rich, i'd have all 3. i see sti's all the time, every one has one. 03/04 are pretty rare and same with GTOs, around here at least.

9d2TSi 12-14-2005 12:53 AM

I don't know man, I think the 350Z's are just pimp. Like 02 WRX said though, the GTO looks like a glorified Grand Prix, that pretty much kills it for me right there. It has potential to make great power though. As for the STi, I like those alot. I would go with one of those over the GTO, no question.

Moe 12-14-2005 06:09 AM

I would go with the STI + the interior is nice and it allready has 300 horses and it probably handles around turns better than the gto so. And when you get it you can put an uppipe and downpipe or a full exhaust system and get like I dont kno if this would be right 320-330horses? Anyway my point being I would just go with the STI mod it alittle and you will be in the 400hp range..

jdmph2b 12-14-2005 01:09 PM

thanks so much guys!

i love my 350z and it is pimped out too. however, it is not the most practical car on the road and i really like performance. the GTO does look like puke to me so it's ###### out...i just like the power plant of the LS2 on it. the STi seems like a great FUN car to drive and i love the idea of owning my 1st turbo car. may be loads of fun, very practical and hopefully can get one a little cheaper if i find a used one.

i forgot to mention that i also do like the 03/04 cobras. i never realized that they are supercharged from the factory. like that alot and the fact that people are getting major gains without seeking the bank accounts. that too would be a fun car.

thanks again for your input guys!

peace.

Moe 12-14-2005 04:29 PM

Yea 03/04 cobras do come supercharged I was a fan of mustangs once then I got introduced to the WRX world..But some cobras you can get a special addition Kenny Bell Cobra witch just screams you can hear the supercharger. But I think WRX are better because they are all wheel drive and they have better handling around bends and turns and did I mention they are TURBOD:D ! And they look fun in the snow.

IBAUCLAPlaya 12-14-2005 06:39 PM

Personally I love the new GTOs. The powerplant as you mentioned is sick, and the price isn't that bad. I've seen some videos of a supercharged GTO, and it is just gross. The 03-04 Cobras are unbelievable as well. A former member here, Kobiyashii, had a stage 4 WRX putting down about 300 at the wheels and got a 03 Cobra, and put a few mods in it and he tells me the two cars aren't in the same league. Unfortunately, the V8s get shitty mileage, aren't very competitive in Solo2 racing, and are RWD which can be good but bad if you are driving year round. But I see you live in Texas, so if money weren't the option, I would get the GTO, but if you were on a budget, get the Cobra and mod it. Sorry, I mean I love my WRX and probably wouldn't choose ANY other car for here in Ohio, but if I lived in Texas, I would have that Cobra probably. And maybe a WRX as the weekend autocross car.

And FWIW, my buddy has a stock 350 Z w/ a Nismo CAI, and my car (246 hp, 231 tq to the wheels) is quite noticeably faster than the Z.

imbeterthanu 12-14-2005 06:58 PM

yeah the motor in the gto is disgusting. the cobras are nice too. but its all about what your looking to do. do you want handling? 1/4? daily driver? with the big 8's your gonna be able to push out sick amount of power for fairly cheap. but handling STi hands down. but its gonna cost more to mod.

imbeterthanu 12-14-2005 07:06 PM

big block big power. sti hands down handling. more money to mod. 8's cheaper to mod

absolutexk 12-14-2005 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=jdmph2b]i love my 350z and it is pimped out too. however, it is not the most practical car on the road and i really like performance. the GTO does look like puke to me so it's ###### out...i just like the power plant of the LS2 on it. the STi seems like a great FUN car to drive and i love the idea of owning my 1st turbo car. may be loads of fun, very practical and hopefully can get one a little cheaper if i find a used one.

i forgot to mention that i also do like the 03/04 cobras. i never realized that they are supercharged from the factory. like that alot and the fact that people are getting major gains without seeking the bank accounts. that too would be a fun car.

thanks again for your input guys!

peace.[/QUOTE]

Ive noticed quite a few ppl that go from 350Zs to WRX's... I was thinking of doing the opposite of that and trade in my WRX for a 350Z... ### is it about the 350 that u dont like? I am curious because i really love the Z and want to get one... BUt then again mayb its not about going from a 350z to a wrx, but rather one enthusiast going from one type of car to another, as i was thinking about doing, going from a awd sports sedan to a sports coupe... Let me know how u feel about the Z and why u want to trade out of it

WRXtreme 12-15-2005 07:45 AM

If I were to get a new car at this moment it would probably Infinity G35. Basically a Z350, but I like the looks much better.

awd>fwd 12-15-2005 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=WRXtreme]If I were to get a new car at this moment it would probably Infinity G35. Basically a Z350, but I like the looks much better.[/QUOTE]
You have that much money layin around...gimme some!

bluebeastsrt 07-14-2006 04:03 PM

[COLOR="Blue"][B]You say you like performance driving but what type of driving are you most interested in? If your looking for a 1/4 mile car the goat is a pretty sweet place to start. Mods are cheap and You can be running sick numbers if you want to spring for a supercharger! On the other hand the STI will kill the goat in the twisties. I've driven both cars and the STI is probably one of the best handling cars at an price on the market. The GTO is just to damn heavy to handle very well. Both cars have their detractors in the looks department. Older Drivers will more often then not be drawn to the old school V8 power where as younger drivers seam to be turbo guys. If I had to choose just one I'd pick the STI because it seams to be a more well rounded car, fast yet still handles and breaks better than the goat![/B][/COLOR]

JiveMasterT 07-14-2006 08:46 PM

[QUOTE=bluebeastsrt][COLOR="Blue"][B]You say you like performance driving but what type of driving are you most interested in? If your looking for a 1/4 mile car the goat is a pretty sweet place to start. Mods are cheap and You can be running sick numbers if you want to spring for a supercharger! On the other hand the STI will kill the goat in the twisties. I've driven both cars and the STI is probably one of the best handling cars at an price on the market. The GTO is just to damn heavy to handle very well. Both cars have their detractors in the looks department. Older Drivers will more often then not be drawn to the old school V8 power where as younger drivers seam to be turbo guys. If I had to choose just one I'd pick the STI because it seams to be a more well rounded car, fast yet still handles and breaks better than the goat![/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Lol, why do you keep reviving threads?

I'll tell you though - the GTO has a nice independant rear setup on it and it is used in the Autstralian Supercar Series (Holden Monaro). With a little bit of suspension work the GTO can be quite dominant in the twisties.