2008 Wrx... - Page 8 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#106 Old 03-28-2007, 07:18 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ thats not what it looks like..the new pics of the 08 are in this months Motor trend, it looks just like the first pic in this post, and yes they are still making a sedan. the pics of the interior are in there as well.

I still like it

Last edited by nagyhead; 03-28-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#107 Old 04-03-2007, 12:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

BizTerp is an unknown
Today is a sad, sad day in Subieland:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-subaru-impreza/

I truly now know how Camaro enthusiasts must have felt when GM released the 1970 Camaro. I can't believe this is Subaru's answer to the '08 EVO. The horrible news about these photos is that by the way they are driving the prototypes (well over 20 mph), you can conclude these are not hand built samples- but rather pre-production versions right off the production tooling. These are locked and loaded my friends. Some general thoughts:

1. After killing the Supra, the WRX is the next target in Toyota's (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...yota_saab.html) mission to take all the fun out of the auto industry...........and to become #1 in sales. Moving Forward!
2. They transplanted the Buck Rogers designed interior from the B9 Tribeca (runner-up to the Pontiac Azteck for the "I just threw up in my mouth" award)
3. After cleaning up Major League Baseball, the Feds then turned their attention to steroids in the auto industry. The WRX is now playing clean, evidenced by its flabby Corrola-like quarter panels and diminished hood scoop.
4. Frameless doors are out, camouflage and popped collars are in.
5. The grill screams "Let me loose, I'm ready for 9-5 traffic!!"
6. All rally inspiration has been removed to comply with Toyota's "rally racing is fun, therefore rally racing is prohibited" policy. In 2008, Buck Rogers will pilot a B9 Tribeca to the first WRC manufacturers championship since 1997.

Time will tell how the car differs mechanically from the current platform, but the looks alone are a huge step backwards for Subaru and the WRX (shakes head)

Last edited by BizTerp; 04-03-2007 at 02:26 PM.
#108 Old 04-03-2007, 06:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

chevarian113 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to chevarian113
I'm in on all previous models before the 08. Bugeyes, 04,05 and the new ones like mine (with the exception of clear tail lights). This is absolutely hideous. It looks like a mix between a ford focus and a toyota matrix. ICK!

As for performance, I read that the new one is geared better (not a fan of our gearing) and is built a bit better for low end as opposed to the early years top end.
Maybe it will do better in WRC??

I still think the option of Sedan should be there considering most of the previous WRX's (STI as well) sold are sedans. I think it is a poor business move for themselves especially given some of the other upcoming cars.

Boy am I glad I bought mine this year instead of waiting one more.
#109 Old 04-03-2007, 06:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

chevarian113 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to chevarian113
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizTerp View Post
Today is a sad, sad day in Subieland:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-subaru-impreza/

I truly now know how Camaro enthusiasts must have felt when GM released the 1970 Camaro. I can't believe this is Subaru's answer to the '08 EVO. The horrible news about these photos is that by the way they are driving the prototypes (well over 20 mph), you can conclude these are not hand built samples- but rather pre-production versions right off the production tooling. These are locked and loaded my friends. Some general thoughts:

1. After killing the Supra, the WRX is the next target in Toyota's (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...yota_saab.html) mission to take all the fun out of the auto industry...........and to become #1 in sales. Moving Forward!
2. They transplanted the Buck Rogers designed interior from the B9 Tribeca (runner-up to the Pontiac Azteck for the "I just threw up in my mouth" award)
3. After cleaning up Major League Baseball, the Feds then turned their attention to steroids in the auto industry. The WRX is now playing clean, evidenced by its flabby Corrola-like quarter panels and diminished hood scoop.
4. Frameless doors are out, camouflage and popped collars are in.
5. The grill screams "Let me loose, I'm ready for 9-5 traffic!!"
6. All rally inspiration has been removed to comply with Toyota's "rally racing is fun, therefore rally racing is prohibited" policy. In 2008, Buck Rogers will pilot a B9 Tribeca to the first WRC manufacturers championship since 1997.

Time will tell how the car differs mechanically from the current platform, but the looks alone are a huge step backwards for Subaru and the WRX (shakes head)

Toyota has been a HUGE let down since the production of the Supra stopped. They brought back the MR2, but a sorry one at that. No more alltrac, no more Mr2, no more Supra, all family. Seems like Subaru is trying to keep up with that.
Lets see what they put out for a Hybrid. Then we might have all of the tree huggers on our sites saying turbo is bad and electro is good.
#110 Old 04-03-2007, 07:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

rockinloud is an unknown
Words cannot express the amount of utter disgust and contempt I feel towards this new design for the impreza. If I were looking for a new car, despite my opinion that Subaru is far superior than Mitsu., I would take the new Evo at the drop of a hat over this fugly thing. Has Subaru lost it? Seriously? Did they all smoke a truckload of crack while watching a steady flow of Toyota Camery commercials? is going on!!!!! I look at the Legacy GT and about bust a nut in my pants because its so dang sexy! Then I look at the new Impreza and hurl up my Arbie's bacon beef and cheddar that I ate earlier!!! The way this thing looks in no way symbolizes what the WRX is supposed to symbolize, that is, a mean beast of a performance car thats modeled after a frickin' rally car. And rally cars aren't friendly, they take a swift kick square to the nuts and smile! This feminine little girl of a car that is labeled as the new impreza might have the performance of a WRX, but it in no way communicates what it should with its looks. Whoever designed this should go to africa and get the Ebola virus so they can die a slow, painful death.

Ryan
#111 Old 04-03-2007, 07:37 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
whats up with the plastic intake manifold, makes me feel good about owning a "vintage" wrx
#112 Old 04-04-2007, 09:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

605wrx is an unknown
looks like i'll be getting an evoX when I graduate instead of a new sti.
#113 Old 04-04-2007, 12:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

BizTerp is an unknown
I have now been in a bad mood for over 24 hours since seeing the 2008 photos for the first time yesterday. The disgusting thing about the design is that everyone who is supposed to love the WRX is going to despise the 2008, while everyone who hated the older versions will probably love this thing. I can just hear Motor Trend raving about how refined the design has become and how the "boy racer" WRX has finally grown up.

I hope the person responsible for this is working on their resume because this is quite possibly the worst marketing mistake in Subaru's history.

I keep asking myself "How could they do this?". They surely conducted focus groups of current WRX owners that would have instantly revealed the disgust. My only possible answer is that they are going after a different market segment. They are taking away our beloved WRX and giving it to someone else. I just don't know how Subaru can wave goodbye to such a loyal following that they have unintentionally and somewhat inexplicably created.

And way to put a dual exhaust on the 2008 WRX, Subaru. Now it will cost an extra $600 for a TBE. This further shows that whoever desined this thing either had no clue what they were doing or this car was desined for a different segment that tends to keep their cars stock. That makes sense, there are a lot of stock WRXs out there, right?

Its a sad, sad day in Subieland.

Last edited by BizTerp; 04-10-2007 at 05:23 PM.
#114 Old 04-04-2007, 12:35 PM
i-w
WRXtuners Member

i-w is an unknown
after a couple of years of sales sucking out they will learn. maybe not...
#115 Old 04-04-2007, 02:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagyhead View Post
... makes me feel good about owning a "vintage" wrx

Saw pictures of the sedan WRX last week. My co-worker had to convince that it was not a Corolla with a hoodscoop...
#116 Old 04-04-2007, 07:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

suby75 is an unknown
It looks like a malibu maxx,piece a **** I seriously hope this isnt really then next gen wrx.
#117 Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

NeloAngelo is an unknown
This is crazy! The 06-07 models grew on me as I saw them in person. But there is no way I can justify that the 08 is WRX styling. Where is the aggressiveness? Flared fenders? Why is there now a stupid little radio antenna (Al la Lancers) in the middle of the roof now? What happened to the frameless doors?!

Why does the basic 08 Lancer look better than this new WRX? The New Lancer has the aggressive styling and I think that will make some of our dedicated Subie friends consider the competition.

Well here is hoping that 2010-11 will bring them back into the Rally Spirit.

#118 Old 04-05-2007, 02:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
OK, I have to admit. I rushed out and bought one of the last 05's b/c I thought the 06 was really ugly. Now, they're starting to look good to me. After only about a day I'm starting to warm up to new design. The interior is much better. The rear end looks much better with the dual exhaust, and I'm even coming around to the front end.

The wagon isn't great, but I've never liked any of the wagons. I think they're moving the WRX into the family sedan territory and making it more mainstream.

I talked to a guy at the Chicago autoshow that told me that the new STI will be based on the Legacy chassis and it will not share one part with the WRX, in fact he said they're not even going to call it an Impreza, it will just be the STI.

Hopefully the STI will be more extreme by the same amount that the new WRX has become mainstream.

The Edmunds blog suggests that the STI won't be unveiled until this fall. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.
#119 Old 04-05-2007, 02:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

metroscub is more helpful than not
piss on subaru today. piss piss piss. spat!

yeah, my fornt end is hideous, but at least it in now way resembles a toyota or a mazda, or a fluffy teddy bear holding a venti iced green tea frappacino eating baklava!

this car looks horrible!!!!just horrible, check out the other thread i started today and look at the video the link goes o, it is a great video, until you get up to the current model(08), then it looks as if they shit in a box, dried it, but wheels on it, and called it the new concept for the wrx, and the STI no longer being an impreza is dumb as hell too, STI are born from the loins of the original 250 horsepower wrc killing machine affectionately known as the WRX>>>>>>>>>I'm upset.

Matthew
Wow, it can turn well too?
#120 Old 04-05-2007, 09:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Speedogomer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Speedogomer
The 2008 WRX is ridiculous. Looks like a messed up Saturn ion/Mazda3. The interior is nice, and it weighs a tad less, but whats up with the junky 205 tires.

Go ahead Subaru, I said it before, shoot yourself in the foot.

-Justin, aka Gomer
(sold)-05 WRX
(new)-04 Cadillac CTS-V